How frequently do you practice

This is a discussion on How frequently do you practice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wandering how most people that carry practice. I practice more than most mainly for fun, two times a weak weather permitting and at ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How frequently do you practice

I was wandering how most people that carry practice. I practice more than most mainly for fun, two times a weak weather permitting and at least once a month with my carry gun. At our club several LEO's use the range mostly twice a year and it seems to take at least a 100 rounds for them to get even close to proficient. I like to practice double tap from double action to single action from a draw and shoot 200 rounds a time. Just wandering how many that carry are proficient enough to use when needed.

VIP Member
    I shoot on average 800 rds per month from my carry gun.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Just about never. Im afraid I wont be able to replenish my ammo stock
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Definitely not enough! The nearest indoor range closed recently and I'm waiting for someone to reopen it.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound94 View Post
    Definitely not enough! The nearest indoor range closed recently and I'm waiting for someone to reopen it.

I've cut back......several 'excuses'; ammo availability, raising prices on ammo AND ranges, saving for Christmas, wife's 'huny-do' list, the fish are biting........

In the last 16 or so months I'm getting out once a quarter and putting 300 or so rounds through my EDC. My daughters will go through 500 to 1000 rounds with ANY of my firearms when they go to the range with me........THAT is getting expensive, bless thier hearts!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I can't cary (live in NJ), but I try to get to the range twice a month. Each time I shoot about 100 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have cut back on live fire practice but stepped up the practice draw and dry fire.

When I do attend the range I practice with at least 100 rounds of .45 acp out of my carry gun. When I leave with a tattared bullseye on a 4" target at 7 yards I'm happy.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I try to get out at least 1 a month but due to ammo prices and availability i had to cut way down.Now i get to range when ammo is available on the cheep.But when i do go i put about 400 rds of 9 an 40 each.
    Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

At least monthly, usually twice or more each month.

During summer IPSC season, I'm on the range weekly. During winter indoor IDPA season, it's at minimum one match per month, some months two. I compete with my carry equipment to keep everything consistent and "real." And then throw in the occasional non-match range sessions.

50 rounds every day, rain or shine (combat draws/reloads). I follow this protocol as a morning exercise before I start my day, i.e. like the early morning exercise shows (LOL).
    Last edited by Sunday; December 9th, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: more info

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    50 rounds every day, rain or shine (combat draws/reloads). I follow this protocol as a morning exercise before I start my day, i.e. like the early morning exercise shows (LOL).
    wish I could do that. Most times I have to practice with a "click" then a "bang"
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I reload with cast bullets from Missouri bullet CO and had 10000 primers before you could not find any more. I am down to 3000 loaded rounds left which may slow down my practice sessions. (I do have an after market rifled barrel for the Glock for the cast bullets.)

My EDC firearm?

I train enough for me to be proficient with my firearm, and confident I can wield it effeciently when needed.

The amount of actually shooting? 200rnds within a 2 month period ($64 in ammo every two months). If I'm off par I'll intensify.

Shotgun? Once I got the pattern down...maybe two or three times a year.

Rifle?... more often than the shottie. Mainly plink with it.

I shoot IDPA once a week, usually about a 100 rounds.
    "Life's hard, it's even harder when you're stupid."John Wayne

NRA
    IDPA

I practice at least once per week and try to compete at least 2x per month. Today will be the 3rd prectice this week with a match scheduled for Sat.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links