Kimber question

This is a discussion on Kimber question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Kimbers are great. A Gold Match and Eclipse Target II. Absolutely worth the money....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kimber question

My Kimbers are great. A Gold Match and Eclipse Target II. Absolutely worth the money.

2. Remove Ads

I've purchased three Kimbers and all are outstanding handguns, as well as being excellent values for the prices I paid.

My EDC, an Ultra CDP II, purchased new for $925.00.
    My primary home defense handgun, a Desert Warrior, purchased new for $935.00.
    My latest acquisition, a Custom Stainless (5"), purchased used, in almost-new condition, for $700.

All three are utterly reliable and extremely accurate. I'd have no qualms about buying another Kimber.

As is the case for any handgun, I'd always look for the best deal and wouldn't pay MSRP. Check for features you want and figure what they're worth to you. You can take a basic 1911 and upgrade it, or purchase one with factory-added extras. Make your decision based on what delivers the best bang for the buck.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I've got a Grand Raptor II and I love it. 1000+ rounds without issue of anything I fed it. Great trigger, great fit and finish, and everything works as it should.

I plan on buying another Kimber before too long.

Kimber's *glitter* for some reason. I don't know what it is about their looks but whatever it is that makes people buy a gun, Kimber has it.

However, there are better 1911's out there for the same or a bit more $. Take a good look at Dan Wesson (CZ). MSRP is only about $100 more the last time I checked and the DW is a MUCH better piece.

You get what you pay for..be it guns,women or golf clubs.
    I think their worth it..JMO

ETA: plus they look so good

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    "Is it worth the price" is totally subjective.

I am very happy with my Kimber Tactical Pro II and feel I got my moneys worth. I am in no way under the delusion that it's a custom 1911 or in fact that it's any better than my Springfield Loaded Champion. But I like it and would buy it again.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Eclipse Ultra II here with about 500-600 trouble free and accurate rounds. Also carried and the finish is holding up very well to the holster. I would love to have another Kimber, here is the obligatory picture with one of it's big brothers. Take care...Jeff

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I love my Kimber, I have a stainless TLE II very reliable, no problems and accurate. I will buy another.

I dunno. I got mine(Tactical Ultra II) used, as a Christmas present from the wife. She got it for around 750. A few months later I sent it back to Kimber to have some work done. They sent it back with a new slide/extractor, and the springs tuned. Free of Charge. I cant argue with that. Fit and finish is excellent. Machining is also excellent. everything has a nice fit overall. The only thing I find thats odd, and plays a part of the marketing hype, is it being a "tactical" gun, yet has no accessory rail on the front end.

JD
    Administrator
    This is not a show and tell, please at least TRY to answer the OPs questions.

While a picture is often worth a thousand words, this isn't one of those cases.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    This is not a show and tell, please at least TRY to answer the OPs questions.

While a picture is often worth a thousand words, this isn't one of those cases.

duly noted!

I'll retreat to my hole!

surv

we have 2 full size kimbers in 45. both shoot very well without troubles, we got one used and if i got another, it would be used too. i do like that kimber barrels are one piece and do not have welded on lugs like some other makers do. those can come apart if you really shoot allot. the kimbers we have just go to the range. i would hate to carry them and beat them up. may be something to consider if you want to carry them. have been looking at para pretty hard. a family member has many of them and carries and shoots idpa with them with very good luck.

Over the years my experience has been that whenever a question, like the one submitted by the OP, is answered in a forum environment the result is always the same. It follows the old "Ford versus Chevy" argument. Most fall into one camp or the other even though owners of both brands have had good and bad experiences with their choice. Practically, it stands to reason that if a particular brand of gun demonstrated an unfavorable trend in reliability, or performance, that brand would lose its following and eventually the business would fail.

Over the years I have owned Colts, Smith & Wessons, Sig Sauer, Kahr, Winchesters, Remingtons, Walthers, and yes even now a Kimber. All have been fine guns and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another of each brand if only my finances would permit. Bottom line is shop around and if possible try before buying, and always follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding proper care and maintenance. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kimbers are great looking guns, but I don't think they are the best 1911's IMO. I had 2, traded in one and kept my cdp II, and even the cdp II jams every now and again. If you want my advice I would go with a brand that has been making 1911's for a while. Springfield or Colt would be my 2 suggestions. I'm looking into my next purchase as being a springfield 1911 myself, just need the funds first but we all know how that goes.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links