Defensive Carry banner

Win Model 70 or Savage Model 16

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Grantspastor 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a hunting rifle next year and I have a question for all your people that know more about this than me. The Savage Model 16 FHSS with the Accutrigger and Accustock is about $670 on average. The Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS is about $1000 on average. I am wondering if the Winchester is $330 "Better" than the Savage? What makes it so much more expensive?
Savage Centerfire Hunting Rifle 16FHSS
Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, Bolt Action Deer Elk Big Game Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

#2 ·
I don' know much about rifles but do have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Winchester. A buddy of mine put a Leopold 3-9 scope on it and at 100 yards was able to put 2 of the first 3 shots in the same hole in the bullseye when he sighted it in. The first shot was about an inch to the left and 1/2 inch high. The second and third shots were right where they should be. Too bad I haven't had a chance to go hunting with it since.

#3 ·
I bought my son the Model 16 Savage this year. It's the same rifle shown in your post except a left handed model. He loves it. Very nice recoil pad to boot. With that being said, I have never owned a Winchester before but heard good things about the old, older models. Hope this helps,

#4 ·
You can get a used Remington model 700 for 400 or less used, that's the rifle we used in the Army, we called it the M24. I loved that rifle. I could hit iron maidens at 1000 meters all day long, no prob. Consider it, if money is an option.

#5 ·
They are both very good rifles. The Winchester only made the big price jump after "they quit making them". I have a Feather Weight Mod 70 30-06. For the money I would just go with a Remington 700.

#8 ·
Bringing up the accuracy of the rifles is a good point. Either rifle will be more accurate than I am at this point. I know I can get a Savage Stevens for about $300 out the door. The only thing it is missing is a hinged floor plate. Of course the more expensive 2009 models also have the accutrigger and accustock. The hinged floor plate would make unloading the weapon easier.

#9 ·
Both are good rifles, but IMO the Savage in that configuration would be the best value, and most likely to give you MOA accuracy out of the box. The Accutrigger is awesome, and the Savage barrels generally are superb. I own many rifles, and usually can get them all to shoot with trigger jobs and/or careful handloading. With the Savage none of that was necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.