Who shoots IDPA?

This is a discussion on Who shoots IDPA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I enjoy a little IDPA every now and again! I shoot the same equipment I carry....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who shoots IDPA?

I enjoy a little IDPA every now and again!

I shoot the same equipment I carry.

2. Remove Ads

I just started shooting IDPA. I shoot exactly like I carry. Walther PPS, OWB, shirt over. I am simply trying to improve my CC skills. I am focused on quick time an COM hits, either the "zero" score or "-1" with fast times on closer targets. Quick gun retention and first hits.

I try to shoot IDPA every other month and USPSA every month. I use one of my EDC (XD9 service or Taurus PT1911) for both.
    Semper Fi

I shoot IDPA 3 times a month. Coharie Shooting League

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I am a regular, and have been shooting IDPA for about 2.5 years now. I mostly shoot CDP, but I have shot and qualified in all 5 divisions.

I have two guns (P220 and P239) that I carry when I visit other States. They both get shooting time, and my defensive shooting is definitely part of my IDPA skill-set, but I shoot IDPA for fun, competition, and general trigger time practice.

We have guys that shoot for pure competition. We have guys who shoot just to make a loud bang and use up ammo. We have guys who put dummy rounds in their IDPA mags to practice clearance drills on the clock. Ain't a one of them who is doing it any more right or wrong than anyone else, as long as they all do it safely. It's a game. You get as much out of it as you want.

(Eagerly awaiting the return of my Bruce Gray-tuned P220 Stainless Elite for upcoming matches!!!! )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I was in IDPA from the beginning, as I had become seriously disillusioned with USPSA and the equipment race that almost destroyed it. It reminded me in the beginning of what USPSA/IPSC used to be, as Jeff Cooper intended it to be, a place where the shooter could test themselves against tactically challenging situations and see how they would respond. As in real life, the emphasis was put on accuracy, and misses are heavily penalized. I shot IDPA up until 2007, when I had work obligations that prevented me from shooting all the time. Family (kids) also entered into this equation. The election and the Ammo shortages have only kept me sidelined this year, and kept me to practicing mainly, waiting for things to improve.

I may return to it someday, but I see the same problems creeping into IDPA that USPSA had. I look at it as human nature, really. I was already seeing IDPA getting gamed up back in 2001, when all of a sudden folks started using 1911s chambered in 9mm so they had a heavy steel gun in a caliber that offered less recoil. This is so they could conceivably shoot faster and get better scores. About that time, the Range Lawyers showed up and began offering their expert advice on what was tactically correct and what was not.

But don't let me put you off on the sport, it is a lot of fun and if you can look past the gamers and range lawyers you can have a good time without dumping $3,000 on a gun and equipment to be competitive.

What sport do I prefer? USPSA/IPSC the way it was back in 1980s; Things were simple back then. The gear was a 1911 pistol in .45ACP, the load was usually a 200gr SWC over 5 grains of Bullseye, AA2 Unique or any other powder that could give 800+fps to make major power factor. You had it in some kind of pancake design with an FBI cant or something like that and 4 or 5 mag pouches. Field courses were only something you ran into at an area championship or the Nationals.

Ahhh, to dream of the good old days.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have not shot IDPA in about 8 years because of work.But when I did shoot it I loved it and used my carry gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have shot USPSA for about 8 or 9 years now.

EVERY WEDNESDAY night at GCL ( Genesee Conservation League)

EVERY Tuesday night is IDPA, I tried it once but it's just to slow for me.

I started out with my Glock-22, I ran about 8,000 rounds through that and then got myself a Para P16-40 "race gun"

I could carry my race gun every day but it can be a wee-bit finicky on occasion
    Attached Images
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I shoot IDPA when I can afford the rounds. I used to shoot it with my duty belt and am looking forward to doing so again.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

if your going to be doing any kind of competition shooting YOU HAVE TO RELOAD.

Unless your rich. If I buy factory ammo it costs me about 55¢ per round.

when I switched to reloading, it costs me about 12¢ per round. the reloading machine (Dillion RL550B) paid for itself in 1 year.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links