Who shoots IDPA?

This is a discussion on Who shoots IDPA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dont know if this is the right place for this, I figured IDPA fall under "tatical training" but just wondering who also fell in love ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who shoots IDPA?

Who shoots IDPA?

Dont know if this is the right place for this, I figured IDPA fall under "tatical training" but just wondering who also fell in love with this? I went one time, and was hooked, however I am not in it for the competition, all though it does make everyone work that much harder, but better to learn more and feel comfortable with my gun. I wasnt too im pressed with the guys that have their IDPA gun and then their carry gun, just my opinion. Although I have to say shooting anything is better than not shooting at all....

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I just started back in September. It's a good way to shoot a good round count and it's different every time I go so the routine varies. Beats the hell out of a basic range trip any time. While it's no substitute for a good training class where you can develop and work on specific skills, it's still good at keeping current on the basics.

I shoot it on a pretty regular basis. Of course, I am one of those people who has an IDPA gun and a carry gun. The primary reason for that is that my carry gun, a SP101, doesn't hold enough rounds to make shooting SSR worthwile. I shoot a six shot, 4 inch revolver in SSR. I do shoot the SP101 whenever I can make a BUG match. When I shoot CDP I do shoot my duty gun, but I'm mostly shooting SSR these days.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I understand completely the competition side of IDPA and why and how its nice to have more than one gun. All that I was saying is that for me and right now, just my EDC gun is fine for shooting, but I sure do love it!

Senior Moderator
    I shoot end enjoy IDPA, and shoot one of the guns I carry. I usually use a belt holster for IDPA as opposed to an IWB, but it's my carry gun I am shooting.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I shoot IDPA with my carry gear. I'll switch between ESP and CDP depending on caliber, but the gun is always a commander-sized 1911. It's a load of fun, but it's also a great way to get your carry gear into action. Standard range time is necessary to develop basic skills. But an action format like IDPA is a necessary step beyond standard range time to get you really used to drawing, acquiring targets, shooting under a little pressure, etc. It's not "training" like a Gunsite class would be, but it certainly is good training for developing skills and muscle memory for carry.

I started back in 2003. I still try to make at least 1 IDPA match a month along with a USPSA match. I also slip in a ICORE once in awhile.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I too shoot IDPA, ESP & CDP.

I run the exact same belt, holster (always IWB even during the Qualifier), gun, magazines and what ever clothing I wore on the street that day. I once showed up wearing a suit because that is what I wore that day while carrying, a Colt Defender which I also ran for the match.

I more look at IDPA as being trigger time and opportunity to get it wrong.
    A place where it's safe to make mistakes and if you drop a shot or hit friendly you can smile it off and learn a good lesson.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I haven't in awhile due to finances, but hope to be back at it soon. I like it alot. I too use my actual EDC.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I've been shooting IDPA weekly for about 4 months now. I use my carry gun and feel that it's improved my shooting a lot. In fact, tonight will be my first low light scenario, can't wait. I too am hooked!
    "Life's hard, it's even harder when you're stupid."John Wayne

NRA
    IDPA

I just started participating this year. I have been keeping pace with 2 IDPA shoots a month and am really enjoying it.

I try to use my carry gear for practice, the only notable substitution I make is my magazines. Instead of my G19 factory mags, I shoot IDPA with KCI mags. The KCI mags have been pretty unreliable with around 2 FTF's per match. I find that this offers a good opportunity to practice clearing under pressure.

Ahh well thats a different way to practice but good thinking.
    My Guns:
    Taurus PT 145 Pro .45 ACP
    Taurus 24/7 Pro C .9mm
    Glock 26 .9mm
    Diamonback DB380 .380 ACP

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've shot IDPA before, but I don't use my daily carry gun or holster. I'd use my daily gun if I could use my daily carry set up, but none of the multiple carry modes I use are legal for IDPA. So I use guns I would not conceal carry in holsters that wouldn't really conceal.

Good practice and can be fun (or a pain in the neck, depending).

Unfortunately IDPA is my practice time now (1x per month), so I shoot IDPA exactly the way I carry all day, every day. Tucked IWB, and generally in my work uniform, including my cell, and flashlight. The only difference is I carry a second spare mag in my back pocket for the IDPA.

My last classifier I shot a 173.23, vs my first classifier 1 year earlier was 200.23. NOTE - I am one of a handful of shooters that wears a cover garment for every shoot, and the only tucked IWB. Pretty much everyone else shoots OWB/OC with open mag carriers. We can not legally require cover garments due to CO law.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I've been doing IDPA/USPSA for about 4 years now. In IDPA, classifier times are high 70s. It's great fun, and puts you in diverse shooting situations. The style varies wildly from club to club. Some are USPSA-lite, and some do a fair job of making an actual practice session.

Since we run both IDPA and USPSA, our IDPA is leaned harshly toward "realism", and the guys can get the game play and the high round counds at the USPSA match. Some long term CCW types actually said "I'd never shot from retention before I started shooting with you characters!" We do that in 2 stages per match, generally.

Depending on the club, it can be a real eye-opener! (But please don't look at it as "training". It's not. Get an instructor and take a course, this is a game)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links