Shooting grip, stance and accuracy

This is a discussion on Shooting grip, stance and accuracy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got kind of a wake-up call tonight about finding the right shooting grip for the best accuracy. I took my Colt Commander and Ruger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting grip, stance and accuracy

Shooting grip, stance and accuracy

I got kind of a wake-up call tonight about finding the right shooting grip for the best accuracy. I took my Colt Commander and Ruger 22/45 to the range with 100 and 500 rounds each, respectively. I've been experimenting with different holds and stances with the Colt and trying to find the best. Tonight I tried shooting in an Isoceles stance, two handed with thumbs straight and squeezing the trigger with my fingertip rather than the first knuckle. The results were bad; a 5 inch group at 25' with every round 2 inches right of the bullseye. So then I went back to a modified Weaver, two handed, with the thumb of my support hand crossed over the thumb of my firing hand and pulling the trigger with the first knuckle. This time I had a 3 inch group, dead center on the bullseye with three rounds touching and in the bullseye. Much better. I put another mag into the target using the same stance, hold and trigger squeeze combo to make sure it wasn't a fluke and managed to remove the rest of the bullseye. I was amazed at what a few small changes in how I stood and held the trigger did to my groups. Have the rest of you noticed anything similar while learning to shoot accurately?
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good question, Roadrunner

I'm the opposite...I have better results with an Isoceles stance.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Actually if one employs sound shooting technique - one would be able to hit just as well one handed - or Weaver - or Iso - granted the speed of follow-up shots would be slower with one hand - but with regards to pure accuracy - it shouldn't matter what "stance" one is using.

I personally find the Iso more comfortable - but it is no more "accurate" than the Weaver - and the Weaver is no more accurate than shooting one handed or using the Iso.

If one has good sight alignment, and a good sight picture - and if one is able to pull the trigger without disturbing the two - then the rounds will hit the target irrespective of what "stance" one has.

cheers

tire iron

1952 - 2006
    While tire iron has some good points, we are all individuals and some things work for one person and not for another. You have to find what stance, grip and sight picture works for you. When you find what works then practice, practice, practice.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    While tire iron has some good points, we are all individuals and some things work for one person and not for another. You have to find what stance, grip and sight picture works for you. When you find what works then practice, practice, practice.
    That was what I was trying to say; I'm curious to see what other people have found works well for them, because chances are it's not the same for everyone.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed, IMO despite what ''training manuals'' might say, much is in fact individual.

I place grip and trigger useage higher up the scale than stance - get those right and then find stance that suits. I have an odd combination of mostly Weaver and bit of Isosceles - and I lean fwd quite a bit - all something that has developed over years. Some might find it odd - but I find it works.

Sometimes the smallest of adjustments have huge effects - and again this is often grip/trigger oriented.... plus dealing with any flinch - any flinch at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have never really thought about it. I would like to be evaluated on my grip and stance, out of curiosity though.
    I seem to shoot better with the revolvers than with the smith or para. I guess its due to being raised up with revolvers. With the semi's, I have been on my own...so to speak.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    as a LEO firearms instructor i taught both the isos and weaver , as stated no single stance or technique is for everyone , body type and sex can and do affect what works well for anyone , the point is find what works , then polish it to a mirror finish .. just my thoughts YMMV
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by tire iron
    Actually if one employs sound shooting technique - one would be able to hit just as well one handed - or Weaver - or Iso - granted the speed of follow-up shots would be slower with one hand - but with regards to pure accuracy - it shouldn't matter what "stance" one is using....
    I think individual physical attributes of the shooter come into play, making one stance a better fit than another. Body build affects the stability of a given stance. You are right that the mechanics of the shot will be the same, but your theory only really holds for the first shot. After that, for follow-up shots, the stability of the stance comes into play, and for each shooter, the best stance will depend on their build.

I am tall, with a narrow build. Neither Weaver nor Iso work well for me. A modified Weaver gives me faster, more accurate follow-up shots, with the best control of perceived recoil.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Lead Moderator
    I shoot weaver, just because I was taught to years back. In Iso stance I am not quite as accurate.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well my instructor was harping on us for our stance, wanting us to lean in more, straighten the arms. I find I shoot better if I “squat” a tiny bit. But the major thing for me is to ensure that I get good contact onto the gun grip with the palm of my left hand (I shoot right hand) I shoot generally a Isosceles stance (ok who came up with that name?)

Assistant Administrator
    I shoot generally a Isosceles stance (ok who came up with that name?)
    Not sure you coined the term but it is only a descriptive label, based on the triangle nature of the stance.

Some folks I watch are more deserving of ''equilateral triangle'' in fact.
    Chris - P95

I Agree with Chris, grip and trigger action matter most, at least to me.
    My grip is tight and high, trigger is with the pad and follow through and since I'm still relatively new this has made a difference.
    I also practice dry fire to check on my trigger pull, get rid of any wobble and I've heard that laser sights are very good for this purpose.

Assistant Administrator
    get rid of any wobble and I've heard that laser sights are very good for this purpose.
    Haha - well Geo - indeed they are invaluable but do NOT expect to see wobble dispapear - just maybe diminish!

The laser even at combat ranges is not something most folks can tame to be static - but it sure does assist in telling you when you are pulling a shot or making other mistakes.
    Chris - P95

I shoot from the "GDDYUP Stance". I like to try different positions to shoot from but I always come back to the "GDDYUP Stance". Most of the textbook stances I have tried or been taught just don't feel as comfortable to me. Like said in earlier replies, it's all about the individual and his needs and comfort.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links