Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm - Page 2

Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm

This is a discussion on Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sig P229 hands down, not the best comparison, but of the two, Sig. I've also been using Sigs almost exclusively, and never heard of a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Sig P229 hands down, not the best comparison, but of the two, Sig.

I've also been using Sigs almost exclusively, and never heard of a grip "pilling off".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

That's a great price for the EMP...I paid about a grand for the wifes.

The EMP is as close as you can get in a micro form factor 1911ish design.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I own both 1911's and Sig's my opinion go 45 in 1911 and in 229 go 40SW. I am not a big fan of 9mm personal expereince. The avaliability of 40SW and price are pretty equal to that of 9MM here in Texas (In fact I wish I would have bought at least one 40SW instead of all 45 so I could shoot more). If you want a good Sig 45 get a 220 Carry same size as the 229. As far a round capacity if you have to ever use more than 2 or 3 in a self defense situation you have bigger problems. I think the capacity of my 220 carry (8+1) is plenty. Just my opinions.

Another note is that most Federal Agencies are going to 40SW in the Sig platform and from my reserach many State an Local LEO's the 220 and 229 is what Texas DPS carry in a 40SW Rangers carry both 1911 in 45 or Sig 220 in 40SW/ These agencies have the money to run the tests and prove the pistols. And the Military used 45 up to 1983 and only switched because of avalibility with NATO for 9mm ammo. Best thing though is to get what you can shoot most accuratly for me it is the 45.

I might suggest since it sounds to me like you are a new shooter,that you go to a gun range that rents both handguns and fire them so you can see which weapon you like the best and which manual of arms is easier for you,In the past there are documented cases where good guys were shot and killed during confrontations when they drew their guns but failed to disengage the manual safety.I would recommend a DAO or DA/SA trigger system to a novice for that reason
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sounds very interesting , thanks

Another thing is that I want to shoot often to acomplish hit things at 25 or 30 yards, with the 45 I see it a bit difficult because the price on the AMMO

The 40 sound's good as well I may go with the 40

Yesterday I went to the gunshop after talking to the guy that was helping me he was are you a cop?

I was no Im not a cop of course I ask why he was He just look like one the way you dress, haircut I just think it was funny ...

I have experience with a few different guns I have a Glock 23, Beretta 92, Sig mosquito, I shoot my friends S&W 40, Colt 38 super, Sig 40 I dint like that one the trigger was like 15 pounds, Just want to see wich one will be my next one ...

Thanks for the comments ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jsanchez View Post
    Hi,

Grettings from Texas, I would like to get advice or opnion if you will ,regarding on my new wish list for this holidays,. Should I buy the Famous Sig 229 or the legendary 1911, (9mm or 45 ACP)?

Ok if I pick the 9mm it will be cheap to shoot so I get to practice more ...

The 45 will be less practice but more stop power so should I look for stoping power or better shoot placement ...?

The Sig I been reading reviews and its a few things that Im not happy with like the grip after a while start pilling off so the price are almost the same..

So what do you think ....
    I own a Springfield 1911 (GI) and a Sig 228 and 239. The Springfield's are excellent guns but if you're talking about overall hand gun quality, IMHO they can't hold a candle to the Sig's. I would recommend the Sig in .40 rather than 9 MM. As for the Sig grip pilling; I've owned my 228 for 11 years and the grip is still in great shape. I've never heard any discussion about the Sig grip as you describe.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've never had any problems with my stock sig grips either. I did replace them with hogue G10 grips and they are absolutely amazing.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    I own both 1911's and Sig's my opinion go 45 in 1911 and in 229 go 40SW. I am not a big fan of 9mm personal expereince. The avaliability of 40SW and price are pretty equal to that of 9MM here in Texas (In fact I wish I would have bought at least one 40SW instead of all 45 so I could shoot more). If you want a good Sig 45 get a 220 Carry same size as the 229. As far a round capacity if you have to ever use more than 2 or 3 in a self defense situation you have bigger problems. I think the capacity of my 220 carry (8+1) is plenty. Just my opinions.

Another note is that most Federal Agencies are going to 40SW in the Sig platform and from my reserach many State an Local LEO's the 220 and 229 is what Texas DPS carry in a 40SW Rangers carry both 1911 in 45 or Sig 220 in 40SW/ These agencies have the money to run the tests and prove the pistols. And the Military used 45 up to 1983 and only switched because of avalibility with NATO for 9mm ammo. Best thing though is to get what you can shoot most accuratly for me it is the 45.
    I was under the impression that Texas Dps carried .357 sig chamberings?

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I was under the impression that Texas Dps carried .357 sig chamberings?
    You right, sorry I was wrong. Yes they do use 357 sig as well as Secret Service. From what I researched 357 has good penetration and doesnt over penetrate. Thanks for the correction.

These are 2 entirely different weapons platforms and I don't think you can compare a 1911 to a Sig Sauer and do justice to either one of them. This is an apples to oranges comparison I think

A 1911 is a 1911 and a Sig Sauer is a Sig Sauer (I don't consider the P250 a Sig but don't flame me P250 lovers) and IMO older Sigs are better quality than newer Sigs.

Caliber - 1911
    Round Count - Sig Sauer
    Manual of Arms - Sig Sauer
    Weight - Could be a toss up
    Ease of concealability - 1911
    Break in period - Sig Sauer

I have never heard of a Sig grip "pilling off", that's news to me.

At the end of the day if I was given these 2 choices my decision would be the orange over the apple.

I'd buy both and never look back

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    You right, sorry I was wrong. Yes they do use 357 sig as well as Secret Service. From what I researched 357 has good penetration and doesnt over penetrate. Thanks for the correction.
    Virginia State Police carries P229 DAK's chambered in .357 Sig too.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

I'd vote for the Sig, any Sig really 9mm and up.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the voting ....

I have another question , 357 I really dont have experience it all with the 357 I bet its a really good caliber, however, if you put them in order from 9mm and up where the 357 will be ?
    Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Top! Second only to the .44 mag.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links