Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm

This is a discussion on Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, Grettings from Texas, I would like to get advice or opnion if you will ,regarding on my new wish list for this holidays,. Should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm

Question Should I buy SIG 229 or Sprinfield 1911 9mm

Hi,

Grettings from Texas, I would like to get advice or opnion if you will ,regarding on my new wish list for this holidays,. Should I buy the Famous Sig 229 or the legendary 1911, (9mm or 45 ACP)?

Ok if I pick the 9mm it will be cheap to shoot so I get to practice more ...

The 45 will be less practice but more stop power so should I look for stoping power or better shoot placement ...?

The Sig I been reading reviews and its a few things that Im not happy with like the grip after a while start pilling off so the price are almost the same..

So what do you think ....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally I prefer the 1911’s but as you say the 9MM does allow for more practice for the same money, best bet would be to try both and see which fits your hand better.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Don't worry too much about stopping power in any round, the only true stopping power is proper shot placement.

While I prefer the .40 myself, I'd have no problem carrying any caliber round above 9mm. With modern self defense ammo, the differences between the calibers has become almost negligible.

Buy what you are most comfortable shooting, and in the largest gun you can comfortably carry and conceal.

Oh, and welcome from middle Tennessee!
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Thanks for the quick response,,

On the 1911 I was looking at the "EMP"

I believe it would give a better chance to practice more often also its cheap on the ammo...

For me, it would be the 1911.
    They just have a great feel and look. Very dependable as well.
    But... that's just me.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

I've shot both, I like the 229. It fits my hand better.
    I'm actually switching from my 1911 to a 229 for IDPA basically bacause of the ammo cost feeding my .45s

and it was an excuse to buy another gun :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Moderator
    This thread dosent make much sense.

The Sig 229 and the Springfield 1911 arent even close to each other.

The Sig in 9mm will hold 13 shots. The 1911 in .45 holds 8. If you get the 9mm it holds 9.

What do you want? A 9mm or a .45 ?

As for the Sig grips "pilling off" thats a new one on me. I have 7 of them, carried a 220 on duty for a decade,shoot my others extensively and have had no such issues.

I also have several .45's that I shoot quite a bit.

A Springfield is considerably less money than a Sig. You can usally by a used Sig for a what a new Springfield cost, unless you get the tricked out,high end Springfield.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The EMP and the 229 aren't really comparable pistols. The EMP is much smaller, at the cost of about half the ammo capacity (depending on mags used). The 239 is closer in size and purpose.

That said, I am a BIG fan of the 228/229 platform, especially the 228 if you are going 9mm. It is among the best pistols for it's role that has ever existed - very high quality, extremely accurate, easy to maintain, well supported by accessories and after market items, and plain old boringly reliable. I really like the idea of the EMP, and have heard good things, but I don't have one (and am unlikely to get one, as it is a very different manual of arms from all of my other duty/CCW pistols).

I think the real question you should be asking isn't "which is better," but "what is the role this pistol will fulfill?"
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sssiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig

I love my 229 but its .40 cal
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I have a definite bias for Sig, but HotGuns is right, that is a kinda apples and oranges kinda question...

My recommendation: A Sig 220.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member

Sig vs Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jsanchez View Post
    Thanks for the quick response,,

On the 1911 I was looking at the "EMP"

I believe it would give a better chance to practice more often also its cheap on the ammo...
    There are actually 26 different variations of the Sig P229 in 9mm or 40. Retail price is $1,000 to $1,200 depending on the model.

The Springfield EMP is also chambered in either 9mm or .40. It retails for $1,300

Neither are 1911.

Of course no gun dealer sells at retail. The prices are only for a relative cost comparison.

Both ate well made handguns and will last a lifetime.

One thing about the Sig I like is the trigger action. It is machined and polished. The SA might need some work to even get close to the quality of the Sig IMO.

I sell both,

Call or email me to discuss

Email: service@gunsandsupply.com

Toll free: 1-888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I may be wrong here but if I understand right Sig is experiencing some product and service problems.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Thanks for the comments,

Im looking for a CCW that will be the main use of the gun, So I went to the gun shop and the EMP feels good on my hand and will be easy to carry for me anyways the price was $899 with night sights

the Sig I really like very well made gun, its just feel heavy and bulky an my opinion for CCW. Price was 715 + Tax, also comes with night sights

But may get a good holster and go with the Sig .

Thanks for your opinions ...

EAJ
    That's a good price for an EMP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links