Walmart ammo... OK, what's going on here ???

This is a discussion on Walmart ammo... OK, what's going on here ??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I almost never buy my ammo from Wal-Mart it is almost always from local gun stores or chain sporting goods stores like Sportsmans Warehouse....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart ammo... OK, what's going on here ???

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I almost never buy my ammo from Wal-Mart it is almost always from local gun stores or chain sporting goods stores like Sportsmans Warehouse.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

aag
    I see most of the Walmarts around here being remodeled to accommodate for grocery isles, but so far all of the ones that went through the change still carry handgun ammo (when they have it, that is).

i got five wal marts in my town with several more within a 20 mile drive. so when i am out i can check 10 or better wal marts in a week. only one is located close to the "inner city". this store does not carry any pistol ammo and a small section of rifle/shotgun ammo. a very small section. i was talking with the person that runs the sporting good section and he told me that because of the store location next to/inside the inner city they were directed not to sell pistol ammo and guns. i have seen that the stores that are away from downtown still have a large space setup for ammo and they also have long guns. they don't have pistol/rifle ammo, just empty space. but they got shotgun ammo. maybe shotguns are the way to go.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I prefer to buy ammo at a local Ace Hardware -- a few hundred yards from a Walmart -- rather than support gun control and China wholesale.

...and one usually needs an extra mag when in one of their parking lots.

Are you saying...?

My local Wally World has more than I would have expected of handgun ammo. Of course the 9mm goes quickly. Last year I hooked up on bulk ammo (Target Shooting) at a local gun show.
    "Rhino"

It's always different. I went into one walmart and was told they no longer had handgun ammo. So i went to another one and they only had about 3 boxes of Federal FMJ. Bout a month later I went back to the first walmart that supposedly didn't have handgun ammo and they had dozens of Federal FMJ and about 4 or 5 boxes of Winchester pdx1... pretty confusing. I think it pretty much comes down to ammo availability.
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    ROFL. So the one thing that is flying off the shelf, faster than they can stock is somehow going to be completely eliminated from their inventory? Wal-Mart didn't get to be a big, successful company with 'logic' like that.

I think it is far more likely that individual Wal-Mart stores choose what to stock, according to local demand. Any store manager that makes a decision like this for political reasons should be fired.

I think there may be something to this. I was in my WM today to pick up some 30.06. I noticed that they didn't have anything but rifle ammo behind the locked case. They didn't have spots for pistol calibers on the shelves, either. $13.97 for a box of Federal Powershock 30.06. Sports Authority wanted $40 for a box of Winchester

I had pretty much given up on finding handgun ammo at WM anyway. My local gun shop always has it in stock and is usually the same price or lower than Wally.

I talked with the local Walmart manager here in north Ga. last Thursday and he told me they will not be getting any 380 because a hold on ordering 380 & 357 has been put in effect for all Walmarts nationwide. Sounds to me like they may be having a spat with manufacters.

AJ

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Walmart General managers are allowed to decide what their store carries to some degree.

For example, several Walmarts are removing their craft areas entirely. No more fabric, yarn or even kid projects. Other stores are removing/severely limiting their firearms, hunting, and ammunition areas.

This is supposed to be based soley on what is good for the store, however I have seen several cases where the decisions of the General Manager were based upon political, cultural issues instead of fiscal.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

The Wal Mart that I have talked to here in San Antonio have been trying to eliminate all gun stuff. Dont know how true it is but the Manager that I talked to last visit said that some of the big city Wal Marts are not even selling rifles any more. I just wish that they had 45 ammo at my local walmart I am tired of pay $30 a box for practice ammo.

VIP Member
    I saw some .40s&w on the self in my local WM just the other day, as well as some .45 acp.

Wallmart's in CT still carry pistol ammo, although they seem to have found out about the supply and demand concept, the prices keep goin up.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Sounds like it's at the Manager's discretion. My WM has shelf space for ammo and the common handgun calibers are mysteriously always out (38, 380, 9, 40, 45). Any first-year business major will tell you that you need to stock MORE of a hot-selling item. I can't see any reason for having constantly empty shelves unless they're just planning to nix the category altogether.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links