selling legal, safely and with a conscious?

This is a discussion on selling legal, safely and with a conscious? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, i placed an add on gunlistings.org and I have a buyer for my pistol. What do I need to do to be legally ...

Thread: selling legal, safely and with a conscious?

selling legal, safely and with a conscious?

Hello all, i placed an add on gunlistings.org and I have a buyer for my pistol. What do I need to do to be legally covered in this sale? Do I only need a bill of sale? It seems odd if this is true because I don't know if this fellow is a convicted felon who just got out of a psych ward and had just caught his wife cheating on him before being fired from the post office

P.S. I live in Missouri if that matters.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    When I sold a pistol FTF, I copied down the DL and CWFL #s, and on the bill of sale had a place for his signature with a disclaimer:

"I , _______________, represent that I am the actual buyer of this (insert firearm details and serial no), and that I am lawfully able to purchase, own and possess a firearm."

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

There was a site, That you could get a freeback ground check, As to criminal history but guess it got deleted from my favorites,, Might google free background check and see, I am from Missouri too, Lawerence county, have a great day, But would get bill of sale, his date of birth, Also his D,L,and address on the ID. Date you sold it,, And ask him those same questions, so your covered.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I did the research for a private transaction in Missouri, but I didn't keep a copy of the document. Dumb. I found federal requirements and something from Missouri law. Questions like citizen, felon, under a restraining order, resident of Missouri etc. In addition, I got name and address. I think the Missouri law was the starting point. From there, it pointed to some federal requirements. You are correct in those things you listed in your original post.

The only legal requirements for a private transaction in Missouri is that it be between Missouri residents and that the purchaser be legally eligable to own the firearm in question.

At the very least I would do a simple bill of sale with Driver's License numbers showing that you did due diligence in verifying residency and age.

Other than that, there's no real way for a private individual to run a foolproof background check for felony convictions or other disqualifiers. My solution is to require that the buyer have a CCW - that's proof to me that they have a clean record. Otherwise, I'll pay a FFL to handle the transfer.

Joe

Just go through an FFl as stated above.

Thanks all. I did go threw a FFL to make sure that the buyer was legally allowed to buy a firearm.

Links