Cleaned gun, portable gun safe & strange smell

This is a discussion on Cleaned gun, portable gun safe & strange smell within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I cleaned my M&P with CLP and M Pro 7. Didn't notice anything unusual. A few days later received my COM in-car gun safe. Went ...

Thread: Cleaned gun, portable gun safe & strange smell

Cleaned gun, portable gun safe & strange smell

I cleaned my M&P with CLP and M Pro 7. Didn't notice anything unusual. A few days later received my COM in-car gun safe. Went on a trip so put the gun in this safe and put it in suitcase. When I got to my hotel and opened the suitcase the smell of solvent (I think it was solvent) could have knocked me down. All the clothes smelled too. I opened the gun safe and the foam inside wreaked of this smell.

Has anybody ever had this same problem using one of these types of portable gun safes?

2. Remove Ads

No. Never used one personally. Some solvents might break down some foams. If something (chemical) starts to dissolve a material to any extent, there's usually some sort of gas let off after or during the reaction. This may be the smell you are talking about.

While many swear by it, I can't stand the smell of CLP. I use Blue Wonder cleaner and either Rem-Oil or my own concoction of synthetic oil, STP and mineral spirits.

My COM had an awful, chemical/solvent smell to the foam before I ever used it. I aired it out for days outside before I could stand it. I can still smell it when I open it, but it is bearable now. I'm not sure the cleaning chemicals that caused the odor you report.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Just use Gunzilla and you won't have these problems.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

If this is the black metal portable pistol case with a three number combination, small opening knob and black foam on the inside and a cable teather. I bought two and they both smell bad. I don't know what it is but the foam is impregnated with something nasty that can only be lessened by airing out the foam. Whatever you do, don't put anything but the pistol or a magazine in the case. If you put any leather item into it you won't get the smell off the leather for days.

Very interesting. I thought it was the cleaning. I will have to email COM and ask then about this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Possibly formaldehyde impregnated foam? It is not uncommon. Especially if it originates from China.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigStill View Post
    Possibly formaldehyde impregnated foam? It is not uncommon. Especially if it originates from China.
    The smell is almost like a mixture of moth balls and a freshly tarred road. Its smells really really bad until you air it out for a week.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Well road tar smell tells me it's the resins in the foam. I deal with this stuff a bit. I can't explain the moth ball part though.

Incidently, the "new car" smell everyone loves is due in part to formaldehyde in the foam seat cushions and cloth seat covering material. Never knew that until I took an auto assemble plant tour...

Best!

Craig

Buy some good foam and replace the 'smelly' stuff...you may never find the source, but you can solve the problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    The smell is almost like a mixture of moth balls and a freshly tarred road. Its smells really really bad until you air it out for a week.
    Might not be the foam but could be the adhesive they're using.

Update for all of you

My COM in-car gun safe had a very strange and strong odor. So much so that if you put it in your suitcase the clothes would smell from it. Someone suggested it came in the foam. I wrote to COM and today received replacement foam. Sure enough, it smells too.

Don't know if anybody else has this problem but if you do now you know why. Guess I will look for foam someplace and cut to size.

Links