Are you a collector

This is a discussion on Are you a collector within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering how many people here consider themselves gun collectors rather than simply gun owners. If you do, what do you collect and why ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a collector

Are you a collector

I was wondering how many people here consider themselves gun collectors rather than simply gun owners. If you do, what do you collect and why (if there is a particular reason).

I'll start things off with some photos, by type, of a few of mine. This is only a small number of the total and I have many guns that either don't fall into any group or could fit into several different ones, but I've broken them down into four main areas; Western, Modern, Obsolete Military and Black Powder. Feel free to post some pix of your own "collectables" if you have them.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

I think i would be a collector but then again i just buy what i want so im not sure where i fall if i wasnt on dial up i would link some pics but it takes way to long from the computer im working from to do anything

I consider myself a collector, although my collection is quite small as of now. My primary interest is in Military and self defense weapons, modern and obsolete. The main part of that being semi-auto handguns.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - I have not got the categorized pics available like yours but yeah - I am a shooter/collector.

My categories are I guess with longarms stuff like milsurps for interest etc (several), hunting type rifles (a few), shotguns (a few), plus the carbine region in which I include Marlin Camps, Storm, and also in a sense the AK and SKS types too.

Then handguns - well as a revo teether way back and a Smith fan - plenty of wheelguns but also in that category are the cannons - big bore stuff like BFR and SRH's etc. Then comes the semi's where main current accent is toward carry.

Very few of all the guns sit unshot but some see action only intermittently - and some also are maybe just as much ''ownership'' as shooting - mix of both.

In truth I like em all and so collection has to be a major vice but within that is mixed total practical useage per carry and defensive applications.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Given the number of firearms I own, I suppose that I'm a collector...however, mine is a user collector and not one that merely collects dust as I "ooo and ahhh" my guns while wearing white cotton gloves.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Well you don't have a .303 in the bunch so we wouldn't consider you a bon fide collecter up here in Canada. Get yourself a SMLE, No.4 and a Jungle Carbine, then we will talk.

Seriously, our government up here decided you can be a collector or a target shooter, but not both!

It seems if you have more than one gun that doesn't work, you can be a collector

Lead Moderator
    more like a user. I don't buy wall hangers or safe queens. they get out and get dirty if I have em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I would consider myself more of a shooter than collector even though I've got 60+ guns.

I've got the standard Milsurps... Enfields,Garand,Mausers,Mosins,Swedes,Swiss...

Several of the "evil black rifles" and AK,SKS's

Several handguns,heavy in the Sig Dept, but have several revolvers and several of the 1911 format a couple of Rugers and off the wall stuff.

Some long range stuff, what some call "sniper rifles" I prefer to call target rifles in .223,.308,.300 WM and .50 BMG with high dollar scopes

A dozen or so various shotguns, pump, auto, double barrel,single barrel

several .22's.

Since I hunt,target shoot and plink alot, all of these guns are used. None of them collect dust.

Colin...
    As a matter of fact I do have a no.5 Jungle carbine and a Mk4 no.1.

I shoot what I collect. I have several other arms that hasn't showed up in pics. I can't buy and not shoot'em...it would drive me crazy.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I guess it's time to add a bit more detail to my original post.

I am a collector, but I do shoot what I collect. I've probably got 60+ guns (HotGuns) and have shot all but maybe 2 or 3, those being mostly collector guns. Some haven't been shot except when I first got them to see if they worked - mainly the military rifles and a few BP revolvers - and others, especially many of the pistols and some shotguns, I shoot regularly. The photo's I posted were meant only as a sampling rather than comprehensive group pix of any particular category. So many guns, so little time and space...

My first love when it comes to guns is black powder and I have more of them than anything else; 20 pistols and long guns. The oldest I've owned for 25+ years and the newest I built last summer. I did have a BP shotgun (originally made in Spain in the mid 1800's) that I got as a gift in 1971 from my ex father-in-law, but gave it to my oldest son, who also likes BP, about 2 years ago.

My newest gun is the Kel-Tec PLR-16 I mentioned in an earlier post. I got it about a month ago.

I suppose I could change my categories to shotgun, rifle and pistol since many guns could go into more than one group. Many of my BP revolvers could also be listed as western guns; my '51 Navy, '58 Remington or '60 Army for example. The Remington could be broken down even further since I have several cartridge conversion cylinders for it in addition to the original ball and cap cylinder.

Anyway, I shoot what I buy, and I buy what I like.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

OD*
    I think accumulators fits us better than the term collectors.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    I think accumulators fits us better than the term collectors.
    Yep I agree.

Sort of like the term "See Food Diet"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Man, I wish I was a collector.

Some day though........when my ship comes in, I hope to have a couple of safes full.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    ''Accumulator'' - heck OD that is the best word yet - yep - that's me Daresay the wife might add one or two other labels as well
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ''Accumulator'' - heck OD that is the best word yet - yep - that's me Daresay the wife might add one or two other labels as well
    I like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links