Kahr K9 Failures to Fire

Kahr K9 Failures to Fire

This is a discussion on Kahr K9 Failures to Fire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping that some of you would be kind enough to share your experience and expertise with ...

Kahr K9 Failures to Fire

Greetings everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm hoping that some of you would be kind enough to share your experience and expertise with me.

I recently acquired what appears to be an very gently used Kahr K9. I checked the serial number and believe that the pistol was made around 1995. I have put about 600 rounds through the weapon (on six separate trips to the range) using WWB and Blazer FMJ ammo, and a very little bit of Winchester JHP. The problem is that I usually get one or two failures in the course of 100 rounds, typically due to FTE's. That failure rate is concerning since I'd like to make this my CC pistol. I keep the weapon clean and lubed and make an effort not to limp-wrist the pistol, but I cannot seem to make it through 100 rounds with a failure. I can't honestly blame the pistol (yet) though since I am definitely not an expert shooter.

What is my next step to try to remedy this problem? Should I have the gun inspected? Before I drop $90 on a holster I'd like the pistol to operate at close to 100%. I'm to the point where I'm toying with the idea of selling the pistol and picking up a PM9, mainly because of the malfunctioning problem, but also because I'm struggling with the though of marring up the finish on this pretty K9 by CC'ing it. I do also like the idea of the increased versatility of the PM9......

What would some of you do to? Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for the long post.

JD
    Administrator
    If you haven't done so all ready, I'd have all the springs replaced, as you bought it used, you don't know how many rounds it has through it.

Your title says failure to fire, but your post only speaks of FTE's...what's the issue? Failure to fire, failure to eject, or both? Call Wolff GunSprings and see if you can order a new recoil spring and striker spring (both factory spec) and replace them, might want to order new mag springs as well. This should be standard procedure for any used gun IMHO. You can also order the parts direct from Kahr.

Thanks for your response, JD. Sorry, the failures are almost exclusively failures to eject. I will definitely take your advice and replace the springs.

JD
    Administrator
    Ok, in that case you should probably also replace the extractor spring.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'm of the opinion the Kahrs like a good lube job...err on the side of wet versus dry. I'm partial to light gun grease with a daub of oil.

+1 on the springs.

This may help on the spring replacement.
    How To "Detail Strip" the Kahr's Upper! - KahrTalk Forums

Good luck.

Thanks ripley16 and JD (again). I guess I will need to get intimate with the pistol and remove the extractor assembly to replace that spring. I really appreciate the link to the instructive.

I actually had thoroughly lubed the pistol about an hour before my last range trip, where I had three FTE out of 100 rounds. That was a little frustrating and disheartening, and is why I really hope to get this resolved....

Check extractor to make sure it isn't damaged,Ie end rounded or chipped off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was looking into purchasing a Kahr PM40 but reading many reviews I decided not to because of the many problem Kahrs have. Kahr also doesn’t back their products as well as some like Sig. Not to be a downer but read before you buy. Either they work or don’t is what I’ve fond out plus they say that they require an extensive break in period.

Thanks for the responses. The extractor itself appears to be okay but I'm going to give it a more thorough inspection when I remove the extractor assembly.

I love the idea of the PM9 (or PM40) in theory, but am worried about getting one that puts me on the 'hate' side of the love/hate relationship that people seem to experience with it. That's why I ended up with a K9 in the first place since it seems to get pretty positive reviews. I still hope to have both one day though.....

Links