When is it time to buy a safe?

This is a discussion on When is it time to buy a safe? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AutoFan As soon as I realized my guns cost more than the safes I was looking at buying. Thats my answer too. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is it time to buy a safe?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    As soon as I realized my guns cost more than the safes I was looking at buying.
    Thats my answer too. Safes are cheap in comparison to what could be.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    As soon as I realized my guns cost more than the safes I was looking at buying.
    Safety aside...this (above) was exactly what I was going to post....if you have $10K in guns/ammo, a $2K to $3K safe is well worth the cost.

So while you can buy more guns with the money saved for a safe, what happens if/when your guns are stolen or destroyed in a fire...

Invest in a new safe...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice guys! Definitely will get a safe twice as big as I need, cause I can think of a bunch more guns I'll be buying, plus I'll probably want to keep ammo and other high valuables in it, along with documents.

If it's a good heavy, fireproof safe, not really sure how anyone could break into it. Doubt the common thieves are safe crackers.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I spent too much time worrying about the firearms being stolen. I didn't have many, but I didn't want to think of my gun being used in a violent crime.
    I bought the biggest, heaviest safe that I could afford. It was more than I planned on spending, but in hindsight, it was the best decision I made. I have never regretted for a minute that purchase.
    My advice is always the same: "Any safe is better than no safe. And get one twice as big as you think you need."

I couldn't have said it better.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Buy a few bags of projectiles and take up reloading, a 1000 round bag of 9mm 124gr projectiles weighs a hefty 8KG, get 10 bags and see if BG can carry an 90-100KG down the stairs.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    I bought a safe the next day after buying my first pistol.
    This guy did it right! I went WAY too long without having a safe and it sure is a huge piece of mind when you're either not home or have kids at the house!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

When is it time to buy a safe?
    When did Noah build the Ark? Before the flood.

How much before the "flood"? Dunno, since my crystal ball is as busted as yours.

IMO, if you want to help ensure your guns don't get into the hands of unknown persons, it's pretty much a given that a quality safe can be an effective step to take.

Remember, a decent safe can help protect from (a) prying eyes of the "five fingered" variety, (b) moisture damage, (c) fire damage. No other single step can provide the same level of protection as a safe.

My situation is probably a bit simpler than some (no kids in the house). Still, after two or three, I opted for a decent safe. I now worry far less about damage to them, let alone theft.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I will be buying that Costco safe tomorrow...so it's a 4-6 week wait and it'll be here.

Is there ever "big enough"? Well I kinda doubt it, but since I have 3 rifles going in it right now I think a 24-rifle safe should do it. Some room for pistols, ammo, and important documents too.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

When is the right time? Well you only know that if you wait too long for it to be the right time and either something bad happens like injury or something gets stolen or lost.

I might have waited too long before buying a good safe, I don't know. It just happened last week, I choose to go with a 40 cubic foot safe, 36 long gun capacity and 2 ft above the guns for additional storage. Before then I was using what I would call a gun locker for my long guns and some pistols, and a quick access safe for 4 carry pieces.

I was never worried about the little one getting into any of the guns, since he knows he isn't supposed to mess with them, and they were kept locked up. Would they have been saved from a fire, probably not, would they have been saved from a burglar, I don't know. I guess it depends on either how ambitious or how strong they were, and how fast they could act before the police or a neighbor got to the house after the alarm went off.

Is a good gun safe a good investment, probably so if you have any number of guns that are worth anything. Whatever you do, make sure that the guns are kept locked away from folks that aren't supposed to get to them, whether that is in a real safe or some other means where they can't be accessed.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Anytime is OK to buy one; I bought one after the first burglary (1994) and haven't looked back since.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    I bought a safe the next day after buying my first pistol.
    I recall getting one within a few days.

And then bought another for my pickup.

similar to one of these:

V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe : Cabela's

If you think you might need it, you need it. And as others have advised, go larger than you need. You can lock more valuables than guns in it. Check with your local locksmiths to see if they know anyone with a used one for sale. The older AmSec safes are thicker and heavier duty than the new ones at a fraction of the cost (and can be re-programmed / keyed / etc.).

I was also told by my locksmith buddy that all new gun safe sales are required to be reported to ATF for recording. I don't know if that's true or not, and makes no difference to me...I just thought it was interesting.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

If you get one bolt it to the wall and floor so they don't steal the safe.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Pulled the trigger this morning...thankfully I have a slab foundation for the house so it's going to be lag-bolted to the floor. Unfortunately it'll be 4-6 weeks for delivery, but at least I will then have the peace of mind of knowing that my firearms as well as my important docs and valuables are safe.

As an aside, my wife and I are considering becoming foster parents in the future. (not right away, but not too far off either) This takes one more item out of the way, because CPS demands that the firearms be locked up.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Took me about a month after I got my first handgun to finally get a safe. It had been bothering me the whole time. It's small but bolted down and now I have a place I can keep the guns loaded and (nearly) ready. Besides, my 2-1/2 year old grandson has just discovered that standing on top of things makes a lot of interesting things accessible.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links