When is it time to buy a safe? - Page 4

When is it time to buy a safe?

This is a discussion on When is it time to buy a safe? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ugh. I've outgrown my little safe... Okay, I guess the 1911 goes back on the wish-list......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When is it time to buy a safe?

VIP Member
    Ugh. I've outgrown my little safe...

Okay, I guess the 1911 goes back on the wish-list...

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ugh. I've outgrown my little safe...

Okay, I guess the 1911 goes back on the wish-list...
    I'm almost ready for another one...It's a disease.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Whenever the last one gets filled up. I'm ready for safe #3
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Monetarily my weapons collection is not worth a fortune. But there are several family guns that I have inherited that are valuable to me. My fathers shotgun, my grandfathers shotgun that he sustenance hunted with during the depression, plus my stuff. I bought a cheap safe when we lived in an apartment, then when we bought our house I got a Browning fire proof safe. Since then now my kids are a little older and their friends are constantly coming and going -on any one day there may be 5 different kids ranged 7-11 here- I purchased a small safe and installed it into my nightstand for my carry gun.

It definitely sounds like its time for a safe, I'm in the same boat. I think the best way I've seen it put was "If you have to ask, its time." Since the OP mentioned that he lives in an apartment, has anyone had any experience with adding a large safe to an apartment?

Obviously it can't be bolted to the floor, but how safe is it to have X00lbs in a single spot on the floor? Ground floor might have a foundation underneath it, but what about 2nd-3rd floor tenants? All I can keep picturing is that one day, it would go crashing through the floors and surprise someone, hopefully not flattening them, below. Do apartment dwellers have to stick with smaller (carry-able) safes, or is it safe for him to get that 800lb+ beast?

Now is the time for a safe. Questions to ask the landlord/owner are weight restrictions if your apartment is not on the first floor and if you can mount it to the floor. There are some good break down safes that make it easy to move to a new residence.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    If it's a good heavy, fireproof safe, not really sure how anyone could break into it. Doubt the common thieves are safe crackers.
    YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video

My firearm collection keeps growing. I'd say I probably have more invested in firearms than I do everything else in my home combined, with the exception of vehicles. I've been wanting a good fireproof gun safe, but every time I look at them, the first thought through my head is "I could buy another gun or two with that money". Having my guns stolen is my primary concern, but the non fireproof safes seem way too light (easy enough for 2 guys to carry out) and since I'm in an apartment, I can't just bolt it to the floor. I don't have kids, so right now, every one of my guns is loaded with a round in the chamber, stashed somewhere in my home.

When did yall decide it was time to buy a safe?
    when the kid was at the age he could get to them. I didnt get a safe because I was worried about someone stealing them I dont have high value guns nor enough guns to worry about their value in a loss...BUT I didnt want kids getting into them.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My buddy has 4 matching 28 gun safes in his house and they are all full.

I only have one but it is getting full to the point I will have to buy another within the year.

I felt the need to have one as soon as I bought my house. I felt uneasy knowing that there were firearms in an unattended house. I realize a determined thief is a determined thief but I sleep better knowing that I have done the responsible thing and secured my weapons in the most practical way possible for the average homeowner.

C'mon guys - has ANYONE put a gun safe in a second floor room? Obviously, I'm worried about the weight - not to mention the expense of getting it up the stairs.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Honestly, it depends on the specific structural load bearing capability of your house, and the type of safe you plan on putting in. Some houses can handle the weight of a really hefty safe, some can't. That's something you need to take up with someone who is knowledgeable and can come take a look at your house personally.

IMO, as soon as you have a gun, you need a safe to put it in.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

When is it time to buy a safe?
    When you've got too many between the mattress and box springs for a good night's sleep.

My dream is not a gun safe, even the super huge one.

It is a gun ROOM. Reinforced walls and a vault door!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    My firearm collection keeps growing. I'd say I probably have more invested in firearms than I do everything else in my home combined, with the exception of vehicles. I've been wanting a good fireproof gun safe, but every time I look at them, the first thought through my head is "I could buy another gun or two with that money". Having my guns stolen is my primary concern, but the non fireproof safes seem way too light (easy enough for 2 guys to carry out) and since I'm in an apartment, I can't just bolt it to the floor. I don't have kids, so right now, every one of my guns is loaded with a round in the chamber, stashed somewhere in my home.

When did yall decide it was time to buy a safe?

When I put that last gun around my neck and I fell over backwards. Then I decided it was time to buy a safe. Now it's time to buy a bigger one for the assessories.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links