New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim

This is a discussion on New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey a PHD that shoots, I hope this sight works and he makes a lot in royalties. Check out the link there is a video ...

Thread: New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim

Thumbs up New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim

Hey a PHD that shoots, I hope this sight works and he makes a lot in royalties. Check out the link there is a video with the article.

New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim, Says UAB Vision Scientist

New Gunsight Improves Marksmanship With Intuitive Aim, Says UAB Vision Scientist

December 9, 2009

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - A University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Vision Science Research Center investigator who also is an expert marksman has found a more intuitive way to aim a pistol.

Associate Professor Timothy Kraft, Ph.D., has developed a new gunsight design that relies on subconscious ability. Opti-sight, a UAB-protected innovation, updates a pistol-aiming device that has remained unchanged for more than a century. Opti-sight promises to reduce the time law enforcement, professional and amateur shooters need for target practice to improve marksmanship.

Opti-sight is a precision-milled half-triangle shape that replaces the traditional pistol gunsight. The design relies on subjective contours, an optics principle that explains how the subconscious mind fills in the blanks when the eye sees half of a familiar shape like a circle, square or triangle, Kraft says.

The rear opti-sight notch looks like an incomplete triangle sitting atop the gun barrel. When a shooter looks through the notch, the brain tells the eye where the missing triangle apex should appear, and that apex is the precise point of aim, Kraft says. "This triangular shape that I've created allows the brain to visualize concentric triangles whose imaginary apexes focus the shooter's attention on the exact target bullseye.

"Opti-sight makes shooting very intuitive by allowing gunsight alignment to become subconscious."

Marksmen, especially beginning shooters, will see improvements more quickly with opti-sight than a traditional gunsight, he says.

Currently, pistol sights feature a square post on the front of the barrel that is visually centered inside a notch on the back of the barrel. A shooter uses the two pieces to align the barrel with the target during firing; this method of aiming takes considerable time to master as the brain must work to reconcile inconsistencies seen through the notch, post and down-range target, says Kraft, who competes against some of the nation's best pistoleers and has worked with members of the U.S. Olympic pistol team to test his opti-sight design.

"The way a traditional gunsight works is all very disconnected," he says. "In order to get a good shot off you have to visually scan the gap between the front post and rear sight on the left and equalize that to the gap on the right, then align all that with the center of the target. It is too much for the eye and brain to process."

Kraft's opti-sight design is among the many leading-edge technologies under management by the UAB Research Foundation (UABRF). The responsibility of the foundation is to identify, assess, protect and market commercially viable intellectual property developed at UAB. The UABRF also seeks, negotiates, manages and monitors commercial licensing agreements on behalf of UAB and also ensures compliance with certain government regulations.

When not at the shooting range, Kraft focuses his vision expertise on the physiology and biophysics of the photoreceptors in the retina that send signals to the brain. He and his colleagues in UAB's Department of Vision Sciences and the School of Optometry work in a multidisciplinary vision-research environment to advance the understanding and treatment options for retinal disease.

About the UAB Vision Science Research Center

The UAB Vision Science Research Center promotes collaborative research and advances the scientific knowledge of the eye and central visual pathways in ways that lead to improved diagnosis, treatment and prevention of blindness and visual impairment. It is a worldwide center of excellence with dedicated personnel, equipment, laboratory and clinical facilities to continuously support knowledge and the training of new vision scientists.

Media Contact:
    Troy Goodman
    (205) 934-8938
    tdgoodman@uab.edu

2. Remove Ads

They look like the sights on some of my old lever lever actions.
    They are the exact sights that are on my CVA .45cal muzzleloader.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I can see where the guy is coming from.
    2 things though.... wouldn't it take longer to gain an accurate site picture? and the article says to reduce the practice... what about point shooting? If the first isn't very good then it would be little more then the ridged sites you see on target pistols. The only way to get good at point shooting is to practice with laser or live fire and the sites do nothing.

I can see this improving accuracy depending on how it is constructed; but there is a reason that the ol' iron sites have worked for hundreds of years. Anything to make a buck right?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

How about practicing with what you have??....granted, it's nice to have options for new sights, but no new "magical" sight is going to make you shoot better....only trigger time will do that for you.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

he may have adapted rifle sights to a handgun. but he didn't "invent" triangle sights.

Yeah, certainly not new:
    SureSight
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

Man, that is some wild grip the dude has on his pistol.

It would be nice if they would show us the sights, but what I am picturing from the description is kind of like the sure sight but not quite.
    If I understand this correctly what he has is a triangular rear notch like the sure sight, but the front sight is not the top of the triangle, but another bottom.
    Something like this: Front /_\ Rear /__\ Alinged //_\\ with the point of aim being where the top of the triangles would be. This would require a six o'clock hold.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    Yeah, certainly not new:
    SureSight
    Not same though.

The Sure Sight system though it has been around for some time now is not a notch and post design as the professors is.
    Also even as it too uses a triangle shape as bisected to result in an triangle for sake of gun alignment as on the horizontal, the professors sight system is completely different in physical design and aiming mechanics.

The similarity between the two is akin to the similarity of a bicycle and that of a motorcycle.
    Similar at first blush and grainy far away view but when reviewed up close with detail the differences are notable.

This is different as well as from what Aric posted too.
    He is not claiming to have invented the first sight to use a triangular in shape aiming point.
    Listen to his video or read the article. The point is toward expediency in being able to align the sights front to rear with _both_ making use of a triangular shape as complimentary to each other as well as the front sight not being a true tri-angle as the top/peak is rounded off.

With the question to 'point shooting', that is done with out using a sight picture but rather as by body point indexes. So the question there is moot and a non-item.
    Asto training he does not claim to eliminate need for training...Just to reduce the time and effort as normally involved for a shooter to get to a degree of accuracy as related to proficiency. Hence his application to both LEOs and to Olympic caliber shooters. Clearly two completely different types of shooters and skill levels as across two completely opposite end spectrum's of target acquisition need and type.

What is similar between the two though is singular and that is; Speed.

They both need to be able to align the sights as during _sighted_ fire (which is not 'point shooting') as to be able to 1) Engage and 2) Hit with fine precision a target.
    That is what the professor by his statements in the video and as report in the briefing has applied himself toward with this development.

Evolution often leads to revolution.

Such as how the bicycle evolved in to the motorcycle.
    Both being items in specific that the Wright brothers had worked toward professionally as before developing a hobby interest in motorized flight.

I'm interested to see how this mans use of science and math plans out as compared to the industry current which largely has come at the hand of non-scientific development and as like the professor here born from a hobbyist desire to do better.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I purchased a custom S&W M39 9mm made by APS in 1982. It was originally developed for the CIA and it incorporated a triangular rear ramp style sight with no front sight post. It was about 3-inches in length and you simply aligned the bright yellow sides to be more or less even and shoot. It was very unique and theoretically, it allowed for quick site alignment while being snag free.

Either way, the designer ‘Paris Theodore’ was a true master and the song is very nice... Paris Theodore
    Last edited by Saber; December 15th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    It would be nice if they would show us the sights...
    Watch the video.

The professors sight system both front and rear sight is in fact shown and as with a shooters first person view.

They then go on to juxtapose it as against a conventional notch and post type sight as by and on a Glock.

It's about time somebody thought to develop for pistols in specific a sight system that takes into account the now known science of how the human brain interprets and reads the environment as related to target acquisition and by that scoring a hit.
    We've been doing that for generations as related to long guns. While with pistols it's all been largely hey lets try this and oh that seems to work well enough knock offs of the old standard convention of notch and post.

Who better to develop as well as R&D the real world function of a sight system than competitive Olympic style shooters as they are required to do everything any combat or sport shooter would need, and do so at distance using light caliber projectiles (.22LR) and under any and all weather and air flow conditions outdoor as well as indoor.

They as shooters have it hardest of us all.
    http://www.usashooting.com

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It seems to me that Sure Sight has already taken the good Dr's hypothosis and improved upon it, complete the triangle right under your target.... its the same thing the Dr is doing. My opinion. I do wish that more manufacturers would experiment with the newer better sight!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

While the Steyr trapezoid sights do not have a front post per se the concept of the incomplete triangle for the rear sight is not new.

I have used the Steyr sights for years. Many novice shooters that have shot my Steyrs have been able to quickly become proficient.
    Attached Images
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Thanks Janq, you are correct. I was distracted the first time I watched it and completely missed it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links