9mm in 357/38?

9mm in 357/38?

This is a discussion on 9mm in 357/38? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two questions maybe somebody know the answer. I was talking to a friend who is a revolver fan. He has a few 9 mm auto-pistols ...

Thread: 9mm in 357/38?

9mm in 357/38?

Two questions maybe somebody know the answer.

I was talking to a friend who is a revolver fan. He has a few 9 mm auto-pistols but really prefers revolvers.

A 9mm case is tapered slightly and it is rimless. But there are many 38/357 that have been modified to use moon clips.

Has anybody fired a 9 mm in a 38 or 357 using moon clips?
    I would expect the case to fire-form and maybe split. Still in an emergency it could possibly be safe??? Does anybody know for sure?

Second question, has anybody has a 32 cylinder bored out and chambered for the 9 mm to headspace on the mouth and use moon clips for extraction? Any idea of what that would cost?
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Dunno but IIRC ruger makes/made a blackhawk that came with a .38/.357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. like their .45 colt/.45acp convertable. The 9MM measures .380 @ the mouth and .391@ the base (not the rim) the .38/.357 is straight at .379 so I doubt you could get it in the chamber. I think S&W has made wheel guns in 9MM as well.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

VIP Member
    You'll probably find this interesting................

Vintage Pistols - Smith & Wesson 547 Range Report
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Taurus makes a 9mm revolver Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    If you want a weapon in a caliber its my opinion that you should buy it in that caliber.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

IIRC a 9mm is .355 and a .38/.357 is .357 so if you could get the chambering of the round worked out it is feasable.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

A while back someone made a revolver that was called medusa or something like that. It was claimed to handle 9mm/.38/.357 with no moon clips or modifications.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ruger still make the Blackhawk Convertable (model number 10308 and 10318) with interchangeable cylinders for 357/38 and 9MM. The convertable cost an additional $70. I don't see any advantage to shooting 9MM in a 357/38. The bullet is slightly undersized for the barrel. Although I have not done any chrono testing I am sure the 9MM will suffer velocity loss in a revolver.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Putting ammo into a gun that it isn't designed for is a bad idea in my opinion, just asking for an accident.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Smith and Wesson made a Model 940 J-frame in 9mm, they are scarce but out there, and demand a premium when in good condition.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links