9mm in 357/38?

9mm in 357/38?

This is a discussion on 9mm in 357/38? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two questions maybe somebody know the answer. I was talking to a friend who is a revolver fan. He has a few 9 mm auto-pistols ...

Thread: 9mm in 357/38?

9mm in 357/38?

Two questions maybe somebody know the answer.

I was talking to a friend who is a revolver fan. He has a few 9 mm auto-pistols but really prefers revolvers.

A 9mm case is tapered slightly and it is rimless. But there are many 38/357 that have been modified to use moon clips.

Has anybody fired a 9 mm in a 38 or 357 using moon clips?
    I would expect the case to fire-form and maybe split. Still in an emergency it could possibly be safe??? Does anybody know for sure?

Second question, has anybody has a 32 cylinder bored out and chambered for the 9 mm to headspace on the mouth and use moon clips for extraction? Any idea of what that would cost?
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Dunno but IIRC ruger makes/made a blackhawk that came with a .38/.357 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. like their .45 colt/.45acp convertable. The 9MM measures .380 @ the mouth and .391@ the base (not the rim) the .38/.357 is straight at .379 so I doubt you could get it in the chamber. I think S&W has made wheel guns in 9MM as well.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

VIP Member
    You'll probably find this interesting................

Vintage Pistols - Smith & Wesson 547 Range Report
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Taurus makes a 9mm revolver Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    If you want a weapon in a caliber its my opinion that you should buy it in that caliber.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    IIRC a 9mm is .355 and a .38/.357 is .357 so if you could get the chambering of the round worked out it is feasable.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

A while back someone made a revolver that was called medusa or something like that. It was claimed to handle 9mm/.38/.357 with no moon clips or modifications.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ruger still make the Blackhawk Convertable (model number 10308 and 10318) with interchangeable cylinders for 357/38 and 9MM. The convertable cost an additional $70. I don't see any advantage to shooting 9MM in a 357/38. The bullet is slightly undersized for the barrel. Although I have not done any chrono testing I am sure the 9MM will suffer velocity loss in a revolver.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Putting ammo into a gun that it isn't designed for is a bad idea in my opinion, just asking for an accident.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Smith and Wesson made a Model 940 J-frame in 9mm, they are scarce but out there, and demand a premium when in good condition.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsored Links