Most trusting Sheriff in the USA - Page 2

Most trusting Sheriff in the USA

This is a discussion on Most trusting Sheriff in the USA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The reason to take them home is, we typically respond from home when the phone rings at any hour. I understand that concept and can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most trusting Sheriff in the USA

The reason to take them home is, we typically respond from home when the phone rings at any hour.
    I understand that concept and can accept it in the area of Ohio your in. I guess my real question is having lived in the Wheeling area on the Ohio side of the river is if they need M16's at all for their SWAT team. Don't seem to recall any situations in the area that would require the use of one. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know much about LEO things, but my son is an officer there (no he didn't lose the gun) so I'll have to ask him about it I suppose.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Administrator
    All it would take is a hillbilly with a 22, and the need for an M16 is there. I'm pretty sure Wheeling has both hillbillies and .22's among other things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    All it would take is a hillbilly with a 22, and the need for an M16 is there. I'm pretty sure Wheeling has both hillbillies and .22's among other things.
    that needs to be someone's sig line

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I understand that concept and can accept it in the area of Ohio your in. I guess my real question is having lived in the Wheeling area on the Ohio side of the river is if they need M16's at all for their SWAT team. Don't seem to recall any situations in the area that would require the use of one. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know much about LEO things, but my son is an officer there (no he didn't lose the gun) so I'll have to ask him about it I suppose.

The BG are going to be armed. Sometimes heavily. I would rather my tax dollars pay for more police firepower then more police funerals.

In green township I hear they are finally upgrading all their stuff to new pistols and getting AR's. They have also hired some LEO that where laid-off from hamilton county. The crime rate isn't bad here so its more then likely preventative.

Cincinnati is another dept that has stepped up with more LEO. I can't imagine what all they have for firepower.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Sixto & Jang, well stated, the both of you. I have two key lock cabinets for my long guns and a few smaller safe type boxes used for handguns, as well as one installed in my truck for those times I must disarm. I live in a semi-gated community (guard shack is only staffed at night, why I don't know), and still lock the doors all the time, my wife leaves her car unlocked on a regular bases, she thinks we are safe where we live.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    He may very well have small children and a touchy wife, so the car may have been an option for him. Who knows, really? Only he and his supervisor knows why. As we all say, crap happens.
    Regardless of what his situation at home, there is no excuse for the gun being left unsecured in the vehicle. Take it in the house and lock it upor lock it securely in the vehicle. A COM is not that expensive. In the home it can be bolted to a closet shelf or the bottom of a drawer. In the vehicle it can be secured with the cable it comes with, or bolted down. Granted it's not as secure as a full size gun safe, but it will keep a kids hands off of it, or in the case of the vehicle stop a grab and run.

Most thieves, when breaking into a vehicle are after what can be gotten to quickly. They aren't going to spend a lot of time trying to open something that is locked. This theft can only be attributed to laziness or stupidity or both.

The BG are going to be armed. Sometimes heavily. I would rather my tax dollars pay for more police firepower then more police funerals
    Have no problem with them having the firepower they need as long as they are properly trained to use it. Considering the fact that this officer couldn't safegaurd his weapon from being stolen, then I question wether he was competent enough to have it in the first place. If you as a law abiding citizen who owns a legal class 3 weapon would allow it to get stolen do you think the police, BATFE, FBI, etc would just let you go about your business and say you need to be more careful next time? All the philosophical debate is moot here. Fact of the matter is that now one of them hillbillies has an automatic weapon.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

She responded to my UTTER SHOCK and surprise; "No they are locked now". She went on to say that they now are locking their doors when they leave and actually carry a house key, which they had to have a locksmith come out and make for them because they had long ago lost the key (singular).- Janq
    Sure wish I'd hear that about/from some of my friends and family.

I have some over in Floyd Co. who don't even have locks on doors to lock, if they wanted to.

When I moved back to SWVA, everyone talked about how safe it was. Yet, we had a generator stolen the first month. Hum?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I didn't see a link so I'll asume it really was an M-16 and not some idiotic reporter calling an AR-15 an M-16. I know in KCMO they allow patrolmen to buy and carry their own carbines so obviously they take them home. One would think a LEO would know better than anyone what people are capable of. I live in a very small town and have done everything short of beating my wife to get her to lock her darn car. Finaly a couple months ago we had a little crime spree and she woke up. When we first got married I leaned my SG up in the corner next to the bed. She asked "is that loaded?" I said "yep". She asked isn't that dangerouse?" I said "isn't that the point?" I grew up with loaded guns in the house and my daughter has learned respect for them as well. It took a few arguments with the wife but she has come arround too.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I carry my stuff home all the time, but I bring them in with me. The reason to take them home is, we typically respond from home when the phone rings at any hour. It would take me a lot long to respond to a SWAT call out if I always had to go the the station first.

I also bring stuff home to be worked on that is issued to other officers. There are quite a few reasons why an officer would bring such weapons home.
    +1...most officers in a bad situation and need for immediate assistance will repsond for home. The funny thing is that the new chief in Wheeling is one of my old friends. They do have a mix of clientele.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

This seems strikingly similar to the reports I've received on one of our local Deputies firearms being "borrowed" from the vehicle parked at home in our neighborhood.

It's kind of like the difference between cover and concealment...sure you may be "concealed" behind that bush...but not a darn thing is preventing me from pumping 30 hot rounds through the bush and into your butt!

Perhaps we should start sending them suggestions about COM safes for their vehicles? They're not that expensive.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Well, I tried to suggest as politely as possible the COM safe idea, but apparently in the Sheriff's own words, it's now a moot point.
    This is the reply I got from the St. Charles County Sheriff's office:

from Sheriff <Sheriff@sheriffemail.org>
    to packinnova <packinnova@packinnovaemail.org
    date Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    subject RE: Securing Weapons in Vehicles
    mailed-by sccmo.org

hide details 1:19 PM (1 hour ago)

The issue will soon be a moot point as a new directive prohibits the “storing” or leaving department issued handguns in assigned department vehicles while not on duty. Thank you for your recommendations in the event we look for alternative solutions in the future.
    Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:42 AM
    To: Sheriff
    Subject: RE: Securing Weapons in Vehicles
    - Show quoted text -
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links