Most trusting Sheriff in the USA

This is a discussion on Most trusting Sheriff in the USA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; St Clair County Missouri Sheriff Department is gonna wish they hadn't said this. Pickup truck, deputy’s gun stolen in O’Fallon, Mo. | St. Louis Crime ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most trusting Sheriff in the USA

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar

Most trusting Sheriff in the USA

St Clair County Missouri Sheriff Department is gonna wish they hadn't said this.

Pickup truck, deputy’s gun stolen in O’Fallon, Mo. | St. Louis Crime Beat | STLtoday

Pickup truck, deputy’s gun stolen in O’Fallon, Mo.
    By Joel Currier
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    O’FALLON, MO. - Police are asking for the public’s help finding two men suspected in the theft of a pickup truck and sheriff’s deputy’s gun this morning in O’Fallon, Mo.

Shortly after 6 a.m., a man stole a pickup truck from a home Bryan Valley subdivision and drove it to a nearby home where a St. Charles County sheriff’s deputy’s patrol car was parked, police said. Someone broke the driver’s side front window of the car and stole a deputy’s .40 caliber handgun. Police believe the gun was in the car’s middle console.

O’Fallon Police Lt. Pat Hossenlopp refused to provide the hundred block and street of where the gun was stolen. “We just want to protect the deputy a little bit,” Hossenlopp said. “We don’t want his address getting out.”

Sheriff’s Lt. Craig McGuire said the department’s policy requires deputies to secure their weapons. Keeping a gun hidden from view in a locked vehicle is considered a secure method of storing a weapon, he said.

Preliminary findings show the deputy did not violate the department’s policy for storing weapons while off-duty, McGuire said. Deputies are allowed to take cars home.

“I don’t know what else you could do to make it more secure,” McGuire said. “Just because you have it in the house–you can hide it as best you can–but there’s only so much you can do.”

Police say they are looking for two white men in the incident. One drove off in the stolen truck; the other was spotted leaving the subdivision in a dark pickup truck.

The white pickup has Missouri license plate number 0KL227, police said. Police had no additional description of the other pickup.

Investigators are asking for anyone with information on the incident to call Detective Dean Frye at 636-379-5579.
    Not only criminals are dumb.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I agree. Legal, illegal against policy or not, keeping guns in a vehicle is just stupid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Personally, I prefer to keep mine at my hip or no more than 3 feet away
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree. Legal, illegal against policy or not, keeping guns in a vehicle is just stupid.
    I have little choice when I go to work. I have a small one gun safe hidden under the driver's seat and secured to the frame. If the car is stolen I have the plate#, VIN# and SN of my CCW with me always.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I have little choice when I go to work. I have a small one gun safe hidden under the driver's seat and secured to the frame. If the car is stolen I have the plate#, VIN# and SN of my CCW with me always.
    I understand those situations, and wasn't referring to that. I was thinking more along the lines of keeping one 24/7 in a car because one is to lazy to bring it in or out of the car.
    "Just blame Sixto"

He may very well have small children and a touchy wife, so the car may have been an option for him. Who knows, really? Only he and his supervisor knows why. As we all say, crap happens.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    He may very well have small children and a touchy wife, so the car may have been an option for him. Who knows, really? Only he and his supervisor knows why. As we all say, crap happens.
    Yeah, that could be.

One of our guy's wife wears the pants so he just keeps his in his locker at work. I feel sorry for him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If the wife is worried about it or he has kids, pick up a 30 dollar honeywell quick access safe and bolt it to the closet shelf. I have a couple like this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5127163, but from big lots for about 30 bucks, the one that is a bit bigger cost 40 from big lots.

I leave my gun in a vehicle when I have to, like going into a posted hospital or when I have enter the school building, but that is about it. Car burglaries are very common, nothing worth anything should be left inside a vehicle, much less a gun.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I agree, if I can't carry it 24/7 I don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Not only criminals are dumb.
    Not so much dumb I'd say as just another of the old school and stuck in the 'people used to be nicer and more honest' past type of guys.
    I'd bet he grew up in the 40s or 50s as well.

In fact on a very serious note there have been _multiple_ times folks here at this exact forum have states nearly word for word this mans same sentiment if not statements.
    I've been involved in discussions of same in relation to proper and _modern_ securing of ones firearms as in their vehicle and home which does not mean 'out of sight' stuck under a seat or stowed in a glove compartment or console panel. And that keeping firearms stored in those old timey glass and wood display cases positioned right at the front window for all on the street to see as though their house is a satellite store for Dick's Sporting Goods.

At this very forum we have had more than a few persons state exact same.
    I would not think them dumb so much as just not living in a modern majority America, as within their own mind.

Tonight I'd had a conversation with my wife about she wanting to sneak over to my inlaws (same town as us) to check the color of their bedroom paint and duvet cover because she wants to buy them a Christmas gift that will color coordinate with their room.
    I told her just go over any day of the week while they are at work and walk on in, you know the doors are unlocked.
    She responded to my UTTER SHOCK and surprise; "No they are locked now". She went on to say that they now are locking their doors when they leave and actually carry a house key, which they had to have a locksmith come out and make for them because they had long ago lost the key (singular).
    I've known them 16 yrs. and been to their umpteen times at their direction told just go on on in and get whatever you need.
    I told my wife well this is sure proof that the world will end in December 2012.

The times have changed since the days of Dobie Gillis and Gidget.
    There are though still a good number of folks who are not aware or are doggedly trying to pretend as though they are not living in the future which is now.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I want to know how you do that Jang. You take a rather simple topic point, and write a easy reading novel in one post. I mean that as a compliment, I always enjoy your posts.

Anyway, Jang hit it. What he said.
    "Just blame Sixto"

In Wheeling, West Virginia a couple of weeks back they had an M16 stolen out of an officers car. My first thought was why does there need to be an M16 taken home and my second was why would it be left in the officers vehicle over night. Needless to say they are now changing their weapons storage policy (a little late don't you think?). They just swore in a new chief and this was not a good start for him I would guess.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Sheriff’s Lt. Craig McGuire said the department’s policy requires deputies to secure their weapons.

Keeping a gun hidden from view in a locked vehicle is considered a secure method of storing a weapon ...

... the deputy did not violate the department’s policy for storing weapons while off-duty, McGuire said.

“I don’t know what else you could do to make it more secure,” McGuire said.
    Didn't take any real precautions for securing a firearm during the unattended night shift. Don't know what else one could do to make it more secure, too.

Hm. Someone needs remedial training in what constitutes "secure" and what can actually be done with a bit of desire and motivation. At least, here in the 90's and 00's, life ain't what it used to be, where one can go around life with the doors unlocked, the car unattended, the guns in plain sight, and so on. A well-marked, unattended police car in a small town known for having firearms inside overnight doesn't bode well for security of those cars or weapons. Not these days.

What he said.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Funny, as I look at the topics, this thread was on top of, "When is it time to buy a safe."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    In Wheeling, West Virginia a couple of weeks back they had an M16 stolen out of an officers car. My first thought was why does there need to be an M16 taken home and my second was why would it be left in the officers vehicle over night. Needless to say they are now changing their weapons storage policy (a little late don't you think?). They just swore in a new chief and this was not a good start for him I would guess.
    I carry my stuff home all the time, but I bring them in with me. The reason to take them home is, we typically respond from home when the phone rings at any hour. It would take me a lot long to respond to a SWAT call out if I always had to go the the station first.

I also bring stuff home to be worked on that is issued to other officers. There are quite a few reasons why an officer would bring such weapons home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links