would you leave your gun at someone else's house when going out of the country

This is a discussion on would you leave your gun at someone else's house when going out of the country within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I look like we'll be traveling to Paris in March for her work for about a month and a half. I'm curious ...

View Poll Results: leave your gun where?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'd leave it with someone I trusted, no questions

87 51.18%
  • Absolutely not, I'd keep it somewhere else (storage, family, your own house etc...)

44 25.88%
  • Yes, I'd leave it if it were locked up and they didn't use it

11 6.47%
  • I would only leave it with family, no friends

30 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: would you leave your gun at someone else's house when going out of the country

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

My wife and I look like we'll be traveling to Paris in March for her work for about a month and a half. I'm curious what would be the best route to go in terms of safe storage of my EDC while we're out of the country. So how about you, what would you do?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Yes.

In fact when I took my family on vacation this past summer being away from the house for 9 days, I took all of my firearms minus one to carry plus my range kit to a friend to store for me in his walk in room safe.
    Key though is it must be a person you trust. Even then I had my range kit padlocked and my arms all cased and individually locked as well as secondarily the guns themselves locked as within the cases.
    My friend is a MA state LEO and he's as anal about safety as I am. I kept the lock keys with me.

I did not want to deal with the hassle of losing my arms in the off chance that my home is burglarized.
    If away from my home for any amount of extended time frame taking my arms to be stored elsewhere is definitely an item I consider and in the past have done.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I voted with family only. I would leave them with my brother, knowing that they would be looked after with care.

I just lock mine in the wall safe.

Two of my neighbors are retired LEO’s and they watch after the house, when were out of town. I do the same for them, when their out of town.

Yes, but the key here is TRUST. It's rather difficult to gain my trust. I don't even trust most of my own family, so that whittles the numbers down to a very low percentage of folks I would be capable of leaving firearms in their care.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Is it legal to lock it in a bank's safe deposit box??, unloaded of course.. Maybe someone has input on that..

cmb
    yep with a trusted friend, that is a short list.

VIP Member
    I voted absolutely not, but I guess if it were family I trusted who also had a CHL I might consider it.

It is my habit to dismantle guns I do leave in the house and hide barrel and slide in separate places; guide rod and spring go elsewhere outside and away from the house. (Sometimes my pocket, sometimes a cuby in the car.)

I find it less trouble to do this than to fool with locks and safes and chains---all of which are easily defeated. A dismantled gun with parts missing can't be used. It is safe. Sure, someone might get in and find a part or two and steal it, but at most I'd be out the gun. The thief would have nothing he could use unless he found all the parts or was able to easily replace the lost parts. Last time I needed a new guide-rod and spring it took S&W 7 months to get me one. When I wanted replacement springs for a different gun, I had to go to the Wolf site and actually know something about my gun to order the replacement. That isn't going to be an attractive thing for a thief to do---assuming they had a clue how to do it.

About the only person I would trust with my gun is my son. PERIOD!!!!! Maybe his dad in-law and his LE sister in-law. Otherwise, no way would I give it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yes, but the key here is TRUST. It's rather difficult to gain my trust. I don't even trust most of my own family, so that whittles the numbers down to a very low percentage of folks I would be capable of leaving firearms in their care.
    Agreed.

I know only two people I could trust to such a degree (one in MA the other in VA), and neither are family to any degree. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I voted "yes, if it were locked up"

I have all ready done this for my best friend. He was going through a divorce and wanted to protect his investment in firearms so he brought his 24 gun safe to my house "for a couple of months"

SEVEN years later he took his safe "home". I have no idea what firearms were in the safe and I DID NOT HAVE THE COMBINATION.

all I know is, there was at least 20 long guns in the safe. He would come over every now-n-then and take a gun out and put one back

But if I had to, I know my firearms would be perfectly safe with my friend.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Nope that's what my 1000# safe is for

NRA Life member

GOA member

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I still need to get a safe.

For now, I would trust my parents with them, and that's about it, but they live in another state.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Back when I was in the USAF, I would leave my guns with my brother when I went on an overseas tour. I got them back once I returned. I had to do this 4 times during my career. Glad that's over with (for now)...

I have left guns with friends when deploying and have had friend leave guns with me when deploying. If I would have had a safe at that time I would have put them in the safe. If family would have been closer than 2000 miles I would have left with family.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Yep. Have used a friend before. I have stored his guns when he was moving as well.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links