44 spl & 44 mag

44 spl & 44 mag

This is a discussion on 44 spl & 44 mag within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just inherited a bunch of handloaded 44spl ammo ffrom my deceased father, who was "into" reloading. I was many years ago, and look forward ...

Thread: 44 spl & 44 mag

44 spl & 44 mag

I just inherited a bunch of handloaded 44spl ammo ffrom my deceased father, who was "into" reloading. I was many years ago, and look forward to getting back to it. My question is: Can one use 44 spl ammo in a 44 mag handgun?
    Many thanks for some info.

Yep.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Yes, 44spl in a 44magnum / 44 magnum in a 44spl, NO!!!

VIP Member
    Yes you can shoot .44 Special through a .44 Mag. The casing on the .44 Mag is about .125" longer than the .44 Special. The .44 Special rounds will load into a .44 Mag revolver but not the other way around.

Many thanks guys, now to find a .44 Mag revolver to shoot this stuff through. I do have the dies for the Spl. and LOTS of brass. Not much into .44 Mags, but I read an article saying the .44 Spl was a pretty good defensive cart without the bone jarring blast of the .44 Mag.

VIP Member
    Since you have the dies you can load both 44spl and 44mag just adjust the expanding and the seating dies out a little farther to accommodate the difference in length, same same as reloading 38spl and 357mag with 38spl dies.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

44 spl is a way under estimated round. When loaded properly it makes a great hunting round. Most 44 spl I have ever shot were very accurate. Smith & Wesson has some very nice 44 spl. This would be a good excuse to get a single action revolver. Ruger is offering the Blackhawk in 44 spl.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've always wanted a .44 Special but for whatever reason I've never got one...YET! Good luck with yours.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    You guys that have a .44 Mag already have a .44 Special. No need to go out and buy .44 Special ammo or brass. Just load a .44 Mag case down to Special velocities. It will be even more accurate than the pure .44 Special.

Sponsored Links