Defensive Carry banner

Working her way up from scratch

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  liljake82 
#1 ·
My woman has been fairly anti-gun since I met her 4 years ago. I started carrying 24/7 about 3 months ago and she remains nervous around it when I come home and change and place it on the end table for easy access from the couch (no kids). Despite this, she feels incredibly comforted when we are out and I am carrying knowing that I can attempt to protect us if the need arises.

I have slowly been educating her and I can at least get her to hold it if I hand it to her (unchambered/unloaded) but she still insists she doesn't like it. She finally admitted a while back that she was jealous of her brother growing up because he would never let her play with his BB gun, so she never got to experience that fun.

As one of her Christmas presents, I have decided to get her a BB/pellet gun although I'm thinking an airsoft gun is probably the better way to go, especially since we live in a suburban area. I don't have any personal experience with them though so was hoping I could get some recommendations on a quality built model. I haven't decided yet on pistol or rifle style. She is a gamer so I would imagine once she gets used to holding these and she starts hitting her targets she will have a ball.

#5 ·
Why not just go ahead and get her a .22?

Airsoft guns are fun, but for some of the higher end(read-more realistic) guns, you could buy a .22 for the same price or less. I just think that if she's becoming interested in firearms, a real gun would be a better option.

Besides, if she loses interest, then you'll have a nice plinker added to your collection. :wink:

#6 ·
I like Katana's plan...

#7 ·
Depends on how accessible a shooting range is. I am thinking about getting a G19 gas blowback airsoft type pistol. About $100. I mentioned it to my wife tonight and got a positive response. She can shoot a pistol, and enjoys it. It's just hard for us to find time to make the trip across town and pay for the indoor range. Having something to practice with at home would be nice. I would go airsoft. You can shoot them inside. The blowback models have a working slide, IIRC. Just not the recoil.

#8 ·
I got a semi-anti girlfriend the Red Ryder BB gun just like in the movie. It was non-threatening because of the whole comedy aspect, but she did shoot it and learn to accept the whole shooting thing. It's got pretty mild performance (yes it will still break a car window, though) that should be perfect for the suburban backyard.

#9 ·
Superhouse, I am also considering the Red Ryder BB gun if the airsoft gun goes over well.

The reason I can't start her on the .22 is because in her head, all bullets are the same and they scare her. It's all fear of the unknown.

I don't think she will ever want to own her own gun or carry, but I do want to help break her out of this irrational fear of touching firearms. So baby steps it is.

I got her the WALTHER P99 AIRSOFT KIT. It had pretty good reviews and the silencer apparently is pretty cool too. Either she tries it or she doesn't. For $25 the experiment is worth it.

#10 ·
I highly recommend a gas blowback airsoft pistol. A good quality one can be had for about 100 bucks. And a lot like shooting a real gun minus the noise. I have a couple I use to train with(cheap ammo and no range fees) and I love them.

#11 ·
My wife is the scared of guns type. I finaly talked her into a shooting session. I started her off with a .22 rifle then went to my 9mm 24/7. She balked at the shotgun but wanted to run another mag through the pistol and did very well with it. She's still a bit nervouse but talks about getting her own pistol now "and not a .22". I'd start her on a .22 and let her work up as she feels comfortable. Don't push but give lots of encouragement. We shot at a b-27 target and it told her things like "hit him in the head" or "bet you can't hit him in the nuts" (the nuts part she really enjoyed and helped her relax). I have found that the women I've taught to shoot useualy prefer pistols to long guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.