Working her way up from scratch

This is a discussion on Working her way up from scratch within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My woman has been fairly anti-gun since I met her 4 years ago. I started carrying 24/7 about 3 months ago and she remains nervous ...

Thread: Working her way up from scratch

Working her way up from scratch

My woman has been fairly anti-gun since I met her 4 years ago. I started carrying 24/7 about 3 months ago and she remains nervous around it when I come home and change and place it on the end table for easy access from the couch (no kids). Despite this, she feels incredibly comforted when we are out and I am carrying knowing that I can attempt to protect us if the need arises.

I have slowly been educating her and I can at least get her to hold it if I hand it to her (unchambered/unloaded) but she still insists she doesn't like it. She finally admitted a while back that she was jealous of her brother growing up because he would never let her play with his BB gun, so she never got to experience that fun.

As one of her Christmas presents, I have decided to get her a BB/pellet gun although I'm thinking an airsoft gun is probably the better way to go, especially since we live in a suburban area. I don't have any personal experience with them though so was hoping I could get some recommendations on a quality built model. I haven't decided yet on pistol or rifle style. She is a gamer so I would imagine once she gets used to holding these and she starts hitting her targets she will have a ball.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

I had the same problem with with my wife...no wait, you were talking about a gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

That is a good idea. now all you have to do is get her to the range with the real thing.

A bb /pellet gun would be a start,next would be a 22 rifle or pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Why not just go ahead and get her a .22?

Airsoft guns are fun, but for some of the higher end(read-more realistic) guns, you could buy a .22 for the same price or less. I just think that if she's becoming interested in firearms, a real gun would be a better option.

Besides, if she loses interest, then you'll have a nice plinker added to your collection.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I like Katana's plan...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Depends on how accessible a shooting range is. I am thinking about getting a G19 gas blowback airsoft type pistol. About $100. I mentioned it to my wife tonight and got a positive response. She can shoot a pistol, and enjoys it. It's just hard for us to find time to make the trip across town and pay for the indoor range. Having something to practice with at home would be nice. I would go airsoft. You can shoot them inside. The blowback models have a working slide, IIRC. Just not the recoil.

I got a semi-anti girlfriend the Red Ryder BB gun just like in the movie. It was non-threatening because of the whole comedy aspect, but she did shoot it and learn to accept the whole shooting thing. It's got pretty mild performance (yes it will still break a car window, though) that should be perfect for the suburban backyard.

Superhouse, I am also considering the Red Ryder BB gun if the airsoft gun goes over well.

The reason I can't start her on the .22 is because in her head, all bullets are the same and they scare her. It's all fear of the unknown.

I don't think she will ever want to own her own gun or carry, but I do want to help break her out of this irrational fear of touching firearms. So baby steps it is.

I got her the WALTHER P99 AIRSOFT KIT. It had pretty good reviews and the silencer apparently is pretty cool too. Either she tries it or she doesn't. For $25 the experiment is worth it.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

I highly recommend a gas blowback airsoft pistol. A good quality one can be had for about 100 bucks. And a lot like shooting a real gun minus the noise. I have a couple I use to train with(cheap ammo and no range fees) and I love them.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

My wife is the scared of guns type. I finaly talked her into a shooting session. I started her off with a .22 rifle then went to my 9mm 24/7. She balked at the shotgun but wanted to run another mag through the pistol and did very well with it. She's still a bit nervouse but talks about getting her own pistol now "and not a .22". I'd start her on a .22 and let her work up as she feels comfortable. Don't push but give lots of encouragement. We shot at a b-27 target and it told her things like "hit him in the head" or "bet you can't hit him in the nuts" (the nuts part she really enjoyed and helped her relax). I have found that the women I've taught to shoot useualy prefer pistols to long guns.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Links