Strange behavior

This is a discussion on Strange behavior within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A (female) friend of mine is telling me that all of a sudden her husband is taking an incredible interest in shooting. In his past, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange behavior

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Strange behavior

A (female) friend of mine is telling me that all of a sudden her husband is taking an incredible interest in shooting. In his past, he was an occasional hunter but she tells me that now he has bought a semi-auto rifle (maybe full auto, she may not know the difference) more handguns and a suppressor. Not sure if the suppressor is for a handgun or the rifle. No young children (teenagers), so the guns are left around the house...hopefully unloaded. Oh, ya, and he has joined the NRA.

This seems like a little on the "unusual" side based on his previous behavior. I don't have many more details, but I told her to be careful and watchful. Any thoughts?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

He'll confide in her if she sympathizes with him and expresses interest. Same with you. Take the guy out shooting, talk guns, etc etc etc. If he's lost it he'll eventually confide in another gun nut. Most likely he finally discovered that it's great fun.

Another possibility is the stress of the world. When I'm nervous about things I become more of a gun guy. My girlfriend can tell when I'm low on money because I clean my guns all the time. Some primal instinct to protect myself, even though it doesn't make logical sense.

intresting........

+1on dnowell's post
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think you were right to tell her to be watchful. Not that joining the NRA and having an interest in guns itself is something to be concerned about, but he's her husband. I don't know, I'm not married but if I suddenly developed a very keen interest in something I would probably be talking about it a lot with my spouse. The fact that she's confused over it seems bizarre to me. Why isn't he confiding in her?

I totally disagree with the other posters. My interest in guns, gun rights, and shooting came on all of a sudden in the same way. I've been like that my whole life with hobbies and recreation. It's a phase, it'll pass, and I'll be on to something new that's hopefully less expensive and something I can do more often.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    A (female) friend of mine is telling me that all of a sudden her husband is taking an incredible interest in shooting. In his past, he was an occasional hunter but she tells me that now he has bought a semi-auto rifle (maybe full auto, she may not know the difference) more handguns and a suppressor. Not sure if the suppressor is for a handgun or the rifle. No young children (teenagers), so the guns are left around the house...hopefully unloaded. Oh, ya, and he has joined the NRA.

This seems like a little on the "unusual" side based on his previous behavior. I don't have many more details, but I told her to be careful and watchful. Any thoughts?
    Do you know how much a full auto anything costs? Not to mention how long the paperwork for a FA or suppressor can take?
    Unless the wife reports $10K +/- from the bank, it's not FA.

I seriously doubt someone "new" to shooting would dump 5 digits on a gun, IF he did buy a suppressor, it was not a "spur of the moment thing"

Odds are he just jumped in with both feet and had the funding to do it right.

EMP, take a look at your own purchases of late, other than the time line, what's the issue?

I'll defer my thoughts without knowing, what I had originally wanted to ask. I respect you too much to do so here. If she's brought this up to you, obviously it's raised some sort of alert with her and she confides in you. Personally, I wouldn't get involved in things barring a few of my best friends, and being in their best interest. I would never think about getting involved with others affairs especially in a marriage even with a personal (life long) friend. You'll need to assist in any way you feel necessary and be tactful about it to keep the peace. I honestly don't know what to tell you since I've never been put in the position. I do wish you the best on it, for you and for her.

EdC
    Ditto for my interest in guns. I do that with number of hobbies or "enthusiasms." Guns, photography, microscopy, astronomy, fishing, etc. I get interested and then sort of wring out the hobby for all its worth. I don't think she has cause to watch him. Joining the NRA, getting interested in a wholesome hobby like shooting, doesn't seem like ominous signals of anything to me.

She should be watching the bank accounts instead, because shooting is probably the most expensive hobby I've got.

VIP Member
    I don't consider it strange behavior. Look at the upturn of the number of weapons sold since November 08. That with the economic woes of the nation many people are taking an interest in their 2A rights.

Now if the purchasing of weapons are coupled with signs of depression, then there could very well be something to worry about. Make sure his wife is aware of the signs.

I'd suggest that it isn't really strange behavior, but just the recognition that his shooting interests have or are materializing. How does one show an interest in anything , but to jump in. Surely all who read this had other interests and had been acquainted with guns and at some point the interest in guns became more focused perhaps then in previous interests. He joined the NRA, oh my. Maybe he realized it wasn't so much killing animals that he liked, that would worry me, but found he enjoyed the shooting side of hunting where you don't get to shoot that much.

LOG

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    As Ram Rod elated to. I think I would stay out of this one and let her ask her husband. To all of a sudden start taking a interest might be innocent enough, let her ask and keep your distance is my personal advice to you.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

When stress was 'high' at work, some of us would go across the road and shoot lots of clay after work. It's a great stress release.

He may just feel like it's time to start a new hobby, and did. Or, he may have become more aware of the need for protection in today's world.

I don't see a need for concern in what you said.

kpw
    I think the strange part is that she confided in you and didn't just ask her husband. He probably figured she wasn't interested in knowing. Tell her to just ask him.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I didn't know you were friends with my wife. All kidding aside, unless he is doing something hinky I don't see anything strange. Now if he has recently started ranting about some group or something it might be different. If the only change in his habits is buying a couple of guns I wouldn't be alarmed.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

So the guy has discovered his instant love of guns...so have 35,000 others on this forum at some time or other, and 80,000,000 others in the U.S. I don't see a problem. I wouldn't feed your female friend one way or the other.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links