Public Range shooting vs. Compettitin shooting, one does get spoiled

This is a discussion on Public Range shooting vs. Compettitin shooting, one does get spoiled within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got together with a buddy to go shooting yesterday. Ended up going to a public outdoor range. One does get spoiled shooting on private property ...

Thread: Public Range shooting vs. Compettitin shooting, one does get spoiled

Got together with a buddy to go shooting yesterday. Ended up going to a public outdoor range. One does get spoiled shooting on private property and competition shooting.

All firearms unloaded and in a case, no exceptions (my holster is my case, and bought me a nasty look).

No rapid fire - 1 shot per second

Fixed range of 30'

No shooting from the holster

One target, one lane

No pistol caliber carbines shooting on the pistol range, no pistol shooting on the rifle range (I know I can get 8" groups @ 100m with my Baby Eagle shooting off a rest)

Not quite right in the head Range Officers.

No picking up any brass but your own (Lost about half my brass to the over efficient sweeper and those that landed forward of the firing line)

Any day of shooting is better than no shooting, so I worked on my off hand and point shooting (normally do not point shoot at ranges over 20 yards). I still miss the option to shoot at multiple targets at different ranges and from the holster while moving. First real trigger time since September.

Man I gotta find someone with some property where I can shoot proper and work on those tactical skills.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

We pay $80 per year to have access to our club's ranges. Well worth it. They also have some form of match or activity scheduled almost every weekend as well.

I love how they do it here, the shooting range doubles as a "Wildlife Management Area", or vice-versa.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Today, I decided that it might be a good idea to shoot my new ten-shot Kel-Tech P-11 9mm pistol, just to see if it worked, since it is my new carjack-attack deterrent tool inside the door pouch of my little HHR car. I drove to Vandalia Range & Armory to use their indoor range for the very first time. Leave your pride outside! The range master started giving me wise advice, lessons and shooting tips for free...because I started shooting to the right of center of the pink Post-It-Note heart. He told me to forget the squinting and nitpicking gun-magazine stuff, and to start consistently doing the basics to get good enough: Grip, point and trigger control, grip, point and trigger control. Yes, he did three head shots with my gun to show me that it was not its fault. Damn it. I started getting better and better. A nice range master. We chatted and he showed me his big black Taurus .45 hog leg. I also shot my big shiny Taurus PT-92, which was much more accurate at a longer range. But he got me back to personal defense at close range. He might have saved my life, with his help and wise advice.

Links