Night sight are a no-glow

This is a discussion on Night sight are a no-glow within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; sorry its kinda long... I bought night sights for my ccw in october 09 only to have the front stop glowing this month I called ...

Thread: Night sight are a no-glow

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

sorry its kinda long...

I bought night sights for my ccw in october 09 only to have the front stop glowing this month I called Trijicon and they told me to send it in... I told the guy these are mounted sights.. he told me then to send in the slide . I then told him I didn't want to do that and asked if there a dealer that would take care of me local. He said that their products are distributed to many dealers and to take it back where I got it if its still in the return period.

Trijicon's warranty process is to recieve it, review it and if its deemed non abuse to repair or replace the product... I have NO problem with that and its understandable but how the heck do you abuse a night sight... short of putting it in the oven? The guy also told me they are backed up already with the holiday and military and LE have priority it could take several weeks after recieving to even GET to it. That sucks...

Anywho I called Midway (who I got it from) and asked them what if anything they could do for me. The lady on the phone was nice as could be and completely agreed I shouldn't have to send them my slide and wait so long for replacement. Since it was within 90 days of failure she told me to send them the sights and they would replace them.

I sent them in USPS priority and recieved back a brand new set of sights first class! The invoice also credited me the shipping for when I sent them in PLUS the date on the package was dated THE DAY I CALLED THEM! Midway did not HAVE to do this for me but it definitly made me happy to have my CCW repaired and 100% in a few days VS a few months!

On that note...
    how many of you have had a night sight burn out?

since I have to lock up my CCW when I'm at work its really cold in my car I'm wondering if night sights are affected by temp?

EDIT: I added a pic of the burnt out sight.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by razor02097; December 22nd, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added pic
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    Just looked at your PIC.
    It sure did decide that it didn't want to be a Night Sight anymore.

Glad that it all worked out for you.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    how do you abuse a night site?...for all they know you busted it off and are trying to get a new one for free...thats how people operate and thats why honest people have to jump through hoops to get what they need...the problem is that honest people dont think that way so they dont get it...when you work in the service industry you see the worst of the worst when it comes to lies...it makes it easier to understand...

My Trijicon night sites also were installed in 2009 by a gunsmith at Gander Mountain. They either were defective or immediately failed. The gunsmith at Gander Mountain changed them out in one day without charging me anything for the change out. My opinion is the Trijicon may have shipped out a defective lot in 2008/2009.

My recommendation: If you have a gunsmith to install night sites, remind him to step into a dark closet and make certain they they work.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just looked at your PIC.
    It sure did decide that it didn't want to be a Night Sight anymore.

Glad that it all worked out for you.
    yeah the front sight became an iron sight. In fact when the lamp goes out its harder to see then a non night sight.

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    how do you abuse a night site?...for all they know you busted it off and are trying to get a new one for free...thats how people operate and thats why honest people have to jump through hoops to get what they need...the problem is that honest people dont think that way so they dont get it...when you work in the service industry you see the worst of the worst when it comes to lies...it makes it easier to understand...
    busting off a sight would take an exorbitant amount of force...
    I do understand how industry warranty works cause I work in the biomed field with parts services. I get abused parts all the time. I was just whining about it cause it would take so long . What was strange was the fact that he told me to send them the slide not take the sights off the slide and send them in.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    My Trijicon night sites also were installed in 2009 by a gunsmith at Gander Mountain. They either were defective or immediately failed. The gunsmith at Gander Mountain changed them out in one day without charging me anything for the change out. My opinion is the Trijicon may have shipped out a defective lot in 2008/2009.

My recommendation: If you have a gunsmith to install night sites, remind him to step into a dark closet and make certain they they work.
    It wasn't a DOA I carried them on my CCW for 2 months before it went kaput. Hope the new ones are good.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Glad you got some outstanding customer service from Midway.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Seems like Larry Potterfield on Midway Usa,, Is a good guy on TV ads, So sounds like he backs it up +1 for him and his business practices,

I had a rear sight go dark after 6 years. They replaced it - no issues. I just sent it in and the sent back a COMPLETE new set for my G23
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Always great to hear about dealers like this. I've added them to my dealers bookmarks and will check them out next time I need to make a purchase. Thanks for sharing.

If you bang a site, they can go bad - the capsule holding the tritium can leak.

I dropped a slide one in the 1990s - 1 of the dots went out. It was my fault.

MidwayUSA sounds like they came through for you. I have always had good luck with them. Hey Larry Potterfield! You and your staff rock.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

nite sights have a life of approximately 12 years. i think it is around 12 years. so you never know the real age of the sights that you are getting. now i have seen some go longer and got some that have gone longer. some don't make it. now i can not remember where i got the years from, read it some where many mango season ago. things could have change, don't know.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    nite sights have a life of approximately 12 years. i think it is around 12 years. so you never know the real age of the sights that you are getting. now i have seen some go longer and got some that have gone longer. some don't make it. now i can not remember where i got the years from, read it some where many mango season ago. things could have change, don't know.
    12yrs is the half-life of tritium (radioactive decay rates - those can't change). Even after that long, it's not like the sights will suddenly go out; they dim over time.

Razor, most likely the person who installed the sights cracked the tritium vial during installation.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Midway rocks! Sorry about the sights, but glad it all worked out thanks to Midway.

+1 on Midway. They don't mess around when it comes to shipping. Any of you ever watch their commercials on The Outdoor Channel etc.? That Larry Potterfield guy just seems like one cool dude.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sponsored Links