A pair of Hawks

This is a discussion on A pair of Hawks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyhow, I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down at all about them having the insignificant blemishes. You got a great deal on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A pair of Hawks

Anyhow, I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down at all about them having the insignificant blemishes. You got a great deal on them! And they're very durable guns to boot! If you've never had one before, you're going to love 'em. Neither my uncle or I will ever get rid of ours. They're tanks! BTW, my favorite factory ammunition for them are Federal Premium, Hydra-Shok 240 grain JHP's. Bring hearing protection. The Winchester SuperX 240 grain, Hollow Soft Point "Hunting" round is ok too. The rounds that I load up the cylinders with when I go wild hog hunting, (as my backup option to my rifle) are the Federal 300 grain Castcore "Hunting" round. They kick like a mule but that's what I want considering what's on the other end of the barrel if I need it. I'm curious to see how you like the new pistols after you shoot them. Congrats on the deal!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    They are tanks. Overbuilt really.
    Yup! Hamilton Bowen will install a 5 shot cylinder and rebore the factory barrel to .500 Linebaugh. Tough guns.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Anyhow, I didn't mean to sound like I was talking down at all about them having the insignificant blemishes. You got a great deal on them! And they're very durable guns to boot! If you've never had one before, you're going to love 'em. Neither my uncle or I will ever get rid of ours. They're tanks! BTW, my favorite factory ammunition for them are Federal Premium, Hydra-Shok 240 grain JHP's. Bring hearing protection. The Winchester SuperX 240 grain, Hollow Soft Point "Hunting" round is ok too. The rounds that I load up the cylinders with when I go wild hog hunting, (as my backup option to my rifle) are the Federal 300 grain Castcore "Hunting" round. They kick like a mule but that's what I want considering what's on the other end of the barrel if I need it. I'm curious to see how you like the new pistols after you shoot them. Congrats on the deal!
    Oh no... I didn't take it that way at all. Sounds like good honest observation and discussion to me.

Oh and only one of them has any of those pits or blems. The second one there has none at all.

Can you recommend a load that doesn't kick too much for sighting in and practice?

Administrator
    I would have to agree with HotGuns as to blood being the likely pitting culprit.

I have had Ruger BlackHawks wet - with rain and lake water for DAYS and the Stainless never pitted or showed any rust.

Here is another gun with similar pitting as my gun number 1 only in a slightly different place (also was reasonably priced too but has ended) see last picture in series of pictures

Ruger Redhawk Stainless Steel 44 Mag 7-1/2" : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

That pitting sure looks like the damage I saw on a co-worker's 645 Smith. Guy RARELY if ever cleaned the thing, thought that since it was stainless it would not rust, and handed it to me to look at after several days after he'd spent time crabbing and was (honest to god) cracking crab legs with the butt!!

Needless to say the thing was a disaster under the grips with orange rust showing, the slide and frame were pitted identically to the photos posted!

I have seen similar damage to a lot of stainless guns here in Florida, likely due the humid climate and to my mind every single instance is avoidable except for the lazy fools that own those guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Oh no... I didn't take it that way at all. Sounds like good honest observation and discussion to me.

Oh and only one of them has any of those pits or blems. The second one there has none at all.

Can you recommend a load that doesn't kick too much for sighting in and practice?
    Well, there's a couple of things that you can do actually. For the cost, you could look for some 44 Spl. They don't kick much at all with that heavy gun but there's a couple of downfalls with that. 1. If you reload, you're having to deal with the shorter brass to keep separate from the mags. 2. Shooting 44 mags after shooting 44 spl's. without cleaning the gun first isn't recommended due to the powder build up that could increase pressures. Of course same goes with shooting Jacketed ammo after putting lead ammo through it. But for plinking, those are less expensive. Those are just the things that I keep in mind while shooting spl's. I think I would be more inclined, (because I do reload) to get some Winchester 240 grain Jacketed Soft Points that come in the white box of 50. (cheaper than most others you're going to find but you will still have your brass for custom loading and I don't care for the lead build up in the barrel from LSWC's.) If you can find those in 180 grain that would even be better as far as kick. All in all, I would go with the "buy the magnum's only" option as accuracy at distance will be closer than going from spl's to mags. It all boils down to what you're going to use the gun for but that would be my $.02. Having a scope on those things and benched, you should expect to hit a small dinner plate at 100 yards consistantly when you get them dialed in and the right ammo. But for that, I would definitely rely on the higher end ammo or carefully measured out realoads. As far as sighting in, reloading, and expectations, I tend to treat mine more like a rifle than a handgun. Here's a pic of mine and I'm not sure if the ammo is going to show up well or not but this is also the box of economical, not kick too much rounds I was talking about. These are what I buy when I need more brass.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mprp; December 25th, 2009 at 01:34 AM.

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ok well it worked out that Wallyworld had a box of those WWB JSP 240 Grain 50 rounds so I picked up one box of that. Not that bad a price I guess at $37 after tax. They had two boxes and looking back I guess I should have grabbed them both.

Dang, the price tag on the box that I have in the picture there says $22.98 from an Ace Hardware store. I did buy them a while back though. Shows how bad prices have gone up. Almost makes me sick. Really curious to hear your range report. Have fun!

Yea its all ridiculously soared in the last year or so. I don't even want to know what the selective rounds prices are at the Gun Shop. I would imagine near that for 20 rounds would be my guess.

I recently paid $25.99!! for a box of 20 .45 Hornady personal defense. I bought 2 of them so now I'm just about in the poor house.

You don't want to do much range work with those babies do ya?

Yeah no kidding. Well there's the problem. I'd like to get in range time with the one's I'd EDC with because I would probably like to carry those factory loads and get proficient with 'em until I get a reaload that I like. I just got a .45 and have never had a reason to have those loads so for now I'm having to practice VERY little with rounds I'd actually be carrying in the real world. I picked a bad time I guess for buying a handgun that I don't have any ammo or brass for.

OK update... I picked up the pair today and they look good and solid. No unexpected surprises. If anything a bit cleaner than the pictures show. In fact the pitting is a lot less than it appears in that one picture.

I should get to do some test firing today so I will report later on.

While I was at the shop doing the transfer I picked up a box (20 rounds) of some 185 grain JHP that I thought interesting. Was $19.99 a box. Thats a dollar a pop!

The Leupold is a M 8-2X extended e.r.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links