.327 Magnum feedback

This is a discussion on .327 Magnum feedback within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anybody have the Ruger SP 101 in this caliber? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. Thanks, john...

Thread: .327 Magnum feedback

.327 Magnum feedback

Does anybody have the Ruger SP 101 in this caliber? Thoughts, suggestions, etc. Thanks, john

2. Remove Ads

Yup, I have the 3" barrel and love it. It's easily concealable and packs a huge punch. If your having thoughts about getting one stop thinking and do it. It's well made and it's a tank. what specifically do you want to know.

If you do get one spend an extra $15 and get a hogue mono grip, makes a huge difference. I hate the stock grip that comes with it.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I will get off the fence and put it on lay-away next week. You are right. Just get the gun. thanks, jh

Wait, I just realised I read the title wrong. Are you talking about the .357 magnum or the .327 federal sp101? If you talking about the .357 magnum my other post still stands but if you talking about the .327 then I have no experience. I can say though theres not much ammo options for the .327 since it's a new cartridge and I don't know how well it wil hold up since it is new.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have been very interested in the .327 mag revo. The only thing that keeps me from going into debt to come up with more gun funds is the skepticism of future availability of ammo. Given the funds, and time to devote, I would buy a couple of 101's in .327, a couple thousand rounds, and reloading dies. The whole concept of the chambering is very intriguing... and I have heard that some adventurous .327 owners have successfully fired .32 acp in their revo's as well. All the more reason to pique my interest, and I hope the chambering becomes a success.

surv

I got burned with the 10mm. Looked great on paper and was the new FBI standard. Make sure and new caliber has a following before jumping in. Otherwise I have the SP101 in 357 / 38 and I just don't see the need for the 327. Go with the Hogue Monogrips fer sure!

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I have been very interested in the .327 mag revo. The only thing that keeps me from going into debt to come up with more gun funds is the skepticism of future availability of ammo. Given the funds, and time to devote, I would buy a couple of 101's in .327, a couple thousand rounds, and reloading dies. The whole concept of the chambering is very intriguing... and I have heard that some adventurous .327 owners have successfully fired .32 acp in their revo's as well. All the more reason to pique my interest, and I hope the chambering becomes a success.

surv
    You can use 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and one other round that is not coming to mind right now. Since the 32 Auto does not headspace on the rim, I would not do it. You would have headspace and ejection problems. I don't know if they even have moon clips for 32 Auto.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    It may be worthwhile to Google "Ruger 327 Problems" or "Ruger 327 Cylinder" I read of some issues but not owning the gun in 327 I did not pay a lot of attention to the information. The problem may well be resolved by now; I don't know.

Good luck

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    You can use 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long and one other round that is not coming to mind right now. Since the 32 Auto does not headspace on the rim, I would not do it. You would have headspace and ejection problems. I don't know if they even have moon clips for 32 Auto.

I don't think moon clips would be necessary for the semi-rimmed 32 acp, but I have no hands on knowledge... just internet info, which needs to be well filtered

I guess it's from discussions like this that certain ideas pop up......

32 ACP in .327 Federal SP101 - Ruger Forum

and this.......

.327 Federal Magnum - Glock Talk

I don't have a massive supply of .32 acp that needs to be sent down range, but it's an interesting possibility to have a gun chambered in a "wildcat cartridge" that can handle other commonly available rounds. It could also be that use of the .32 acp, even though it may be possible, could pose a potential hazardous situation. Since the manufacturers don't specifically recommend the .32 acp as a useful source of ammunition it's difficult to tell if that's due to a safety reason, functionality reason, or just considered impractical.

Still an interesting topic to me.

Surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I don't think moon clips would be necessary for the semi-rimmed 32 acp, but I have no hands on knowledge... just internet info, which needs to be well filtered

I guess it's from discussions like this that certain ideas pop up......

32 ACP in .327 Federal SP101 - Ruger Forum

and this.......

.327 Federal Magnum - Glock Talk

I don't have a massive supply of .32 acp that needs to be sent down range, but it's an interesting possibility to have a gun chambered in a "wildcat cartridge" that can handle other commonly available rounds. It could also be that use of the .32 acp, even though it may be possible, could pose a potential hazardous situation. Since the manufacturers don't specifically recommend the .32 acp as a useful source of ammunition it's difficult to tell if that's due to a safety reason, functionality reason, or just considered impractical.

Still an interesting topic to me.

Surv
    The rim on 32 Auto measures .358 compared to .375. for all the revolver cases. Seems like a lot of potential for ejection problems. What is the case going to headspace on. I would not reccommend it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Ruger SP101 .327 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Does anybody have the Ruger SP 101 in this caliber?
    Yes I have one and I like it very much. I have a couple posts on it here already, but in summary:

The reviews that suggest this is a "woman's gun" are misguided. The high end 115gr Gold Dots pack a major punch and I recommend the Hogue mono grip. At the same time, dropping back to plain old .32 Longs makes for a nice introduction round for a new shooter.

Yes there was a problem with a manufactured cylinder run, mine had to be replaced. That seems to be resolved now.

Ammunition cost is comparable to .357 sig.

Availability is the big problem right now. It sells out before it even hits the shelves.

We had trouble getting ammo for it even before the blowup.

Would be a shame to buy and have the 327 just fizzle out (think .480 Ruger). Are you really getting something better or more versitile than the good old .38/.357? Just my opinion. Hey maybe you would like to start a stable of Rugers. SP101s in .22, .327, .38, .357 then start on Redhawks. Whatever floats your boat! Hey that gets me thinking....

Links