handgun gift to CA

This is a discussion on handgun gift to CA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My son is in the Navy stationed in San Diego. He turns 21 in August and I'd like to get him a new Glock. He ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: handgun gift to CA

handgun gift to CA

My son is in the Navy stationed in San Diego. He turns 21 in August and I'd like to get him a new Glock. He HAS transfered his "residency" to CA, as he's obtained a CA driver's license and car registration.
    How can I give him a handgun legally? (I already know about the 10-round mag limit.)
    Do I need to go through a dealer there in CA, or can I just give it to him while he's here?
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

2. Remove Ads

I would let him go to a dealer there and have him pick out the gun,then send him the money to pay for it.California is really dicey on gun laws and bringing in guns from outside,they have a list of guns that can't be sold in CA and or I assume brought into the state
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Gift certificate for a shop in his area and let him do the paperwork.

Yes it needs to go through a dealer since it's an interstate transfer. He is a California resident. You are an Arizona resident.

Military might be exempt from the magazine capacity limits, I'll have to double check. My company is the nation's leader in Middleman Transfers to California but I don't deal with a lot of military.

I have a few FFLs I deal with in San Diego area if you need references for good dealers to use. My contact information is listed in my sig line. Give me a call tomorrow or this coming week and I can help any way I can.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Q: Can I legally transfer ownership of a firearm to another family member without the waiting period, without processing the transfer through a firearms dealer or without registration?

A: Yes, providing the transfer is to a person's parent, child, grandparent or grandchild who is not a person prohibited from possessing firearms, and the firearm being transferred is a rifle or a shotgun. There is no waiting period, and in this case, no forms are required to be filed with the state Department of Justice. However, if the transfer of a firearm is from one spouse to the other, or if the firearm is a handgun, there is no waiting period, but a report of the transfer must be mailed to the Deptartment of Justice within 30 days using forms which can be obtained by contacting the department (916) 263-4887. If the firearm is a handgun, the person taking title must first obtain a "Handgun Safety Certificate." (Section 12078 P.C.) This section also applies to gifts, bequests, and inheritances. There is no exemption from the waiting period or the "through dealer" transaction requirement for transfers between siblings, aunts, uncles, or friends. Handguns that are classified as curio/relics are subject to the same handgun provisions as described above. Antique firearms are not subject to any waiting period or requirement to file forms. An "assault weapon" or a .50 BMG rifle cannot legally be transferred, except between spouses or to a child of at least 18 years of age, and then only if the firearm was originally registered in both their names under the family joint registration provision of Penal Code Section 12285(e).

Hope this helps. I referenced this from the 37th Revision - 2009 of the California Rifle and Pistol Association's Summary of California Gun Laws & Basic Safety Rules handbook. Although this does not mention anything of interstate transfer, I'm sure you can find out that answer when you call that number. Good Luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

This is a textbook example of how easy it is to provide incorrect info regarding the law in another state. Great job in the above post in providing the EXACT legal code that answers the OP's question. I hope the other posters, who I am sure meant well, will rethink how they answer future questions about state laws they haven't researched. CA has enough problems without FUD from other gun enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    This is a textbook example of how easy it is to provide incorrect info regarding the law in another state. Great job in the above post in providing the EXACT legal code that answers the OP's question. I hope the other posters, who I am sure meant well, will rethink how they answer future questions about state laws they haven't researched. CA has enough problems without FUD from other gun enthusiasts.
    Curious as to what you feel was wrong with the info given. The OP is a resident of a different state than his son. Federal law trumps state law when state lines are crossed in the transfer of a handgun. The quoted law was for transfer between two parties both in CA.

You must involve a FFL in the transfer of a handgun from one state to another.

The easiest way would be to have the son go to a store that the father has arranged to pay for the gun and let the son fill out the paper work.

The other option is to have a FFL transfer at the fathers location to a FFL in the sons location.

The second option costs more and takes longer.

State laws can add to the requirements but the ATF still requires the paperwork.

Seeing how this is an interstate transfer and not an intrastate transfer, the above penal code doesn't apply. That code applies for intrastate transfers only, ie CA resident to CA resident.

The gun is to cross state lines. That triggers federal jurisdiction which states it must transfer through an FFL. The roster exemption still applies as it is an intrafamily transfer.

The penal code above does not apply and therefore does not answer the OP's question.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Gift certificate for a shop in his area and let him do the paperwork.
    He really wants MY G20. (with the .40 barrel, TFOs, etc.) He shoots it really well.
    That also gives ME a good excuse to go get a G20SF.
    I already tried to convince him to get something a little easier to find ammo for than a 10mm, but the .40 barrel should take care of that issue somewhat. I also cautioned him that he'd have to lock it in the armory if he ever moved back onto the base.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I have a few FFLs I deal with in San Diego area if you need references for good dealers to use. My contact information is listed in my sig line. Give me a call tomorrow or this coming week and I can help any way I can.
    Thanks; I'll take you up on that. It might be a few weeks, as his birthday is not until March.
    I appreciate it!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel

Inter vs intra

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Q: Can I legally transfer ownership of a firearm to another family member without the waiting period, without processing the transfer through a firearms dealer or without registration?

A: Yes, providing the transfer is to a person's parent, child, grandparent or grandchild who is not a person prohibited from possessing firearms, and the firearm being transferred is a rifle or a shotgun. There is no waiting period, and in this case, no forms are required to be filed with the state Department of Justice. However, if the transfer of a firearm is from one spouse to the other, or if the firearm is a handgun, there is no waiting period, but a report of the transfer must be mailed to the Deptartment of Justice within 30 days using forms which can be obtained by contacting the department (916) 263-4887. If the firearm is a handgun, the person taking title must first obtain a "Handgun Safety Certificate." (Section 12078 P.C.) This section also applies to gifts, bequests, and inheritances. There is no exemption from the waiting period or the "through dealer" transaction requirement for transfers between siblings, aunts, uncles, or friends. Handguns that are classified as curio/relics are subject to the same handgun provisions as described above. Antique firearms are not subject to any waiting period or requirement to file forms. An "assault weapon" or a .50 BMG rifle cannot legally be transferred, except between spouses or to a child of at least 18 years of age, and then only if the firearm was originally registered in both their names under the family joint registration provision of Penal Code Section 12285(e).

Hope this helps. I referenced this from the 37th Revision - 2009 of the California Rifle and Pistol Association's Summary of California Gun Laws & Basic Safety Rules handbook. Although this does not mention anything of interstate transfer, I'm sure you can find out that answer when you call that number. Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yes it needs to go through a dealer since it's an interstate transfer. He is a California resident. You are an Arizona resident.

Military might be exempt from the magazine capacity limits, I'll have to double check. My company is the nation's leader in Middleman Transfers to California but I don't deal with a lot of military.

The STATE law may allow a transfer, the federal law [ ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ] requires that handguns interstate have paperwork via an FFL.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    The STATE law may allow a transfer, the federal law requires that handguns interstate have paperwork via an FFL.
    Right. Like I've been saying this whole time.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    He really wants MY G20. (with the .40 barrel, TFOs, etc.) He shoots it really well.
    That also gives ME a good excuse to go get a G20SF.
    I already tried to convince him to get something a little easier to find ammo for than a 10mm, but the .40 barrel should take care of that issue somewhat. I also cautioned him that he'd have to lock it in the armory if he ever moved back onto the base.
    Ask him to check with base rec services, I've seen several that have an FFL on base that do transfers reasonably. If they don't have one many times the Base Exchange can point him toward one locally that works well with the mil!

Good luck on handing off one and getting a new one!

Well I tried to answer the OP the best I could. That's why I included the thing there at the end that says "Although this does not mention anything of interstate transfer, I'm sure you can find out that answer when you call that number." The other informative posts probably helped more but I was just quoting a rule from where the pistol is going to end up and giving access to a number that the OP could call and possibly see what further restrictions California has on interstate transfers. If you want complicated restrictions, California takes the cake.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

OK, I had to wait until today to speak with a very competent FFL about this. If the son goes to AZ and takes face-to-face possession of the handgun, as in a INTRAFAMILIAL gift, he can LEGALLY drive it back to CA with NO federal laws at issue. No waiting period or FFL involvement in either state. (The son will need to conform to each state's transportation standards regarding locked boxes, etc.)

The recipient does need to complete a CA DoJ form within (I think) 30 days to register the handgun in his name in CA.

IF the handgun is shipped, it must be shipped to an FFL in CA and the waiting would apply. But the OP had said that the son could take face-to-face delivery in AZ and that was the basis of my response.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links