Guns and girlfriends

This is a discussion on Guns and girlfriends within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something I have been thinking about lately and need the wise input of DC. I have only been a gun owner for a couple of ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guns and girlfriends

Guns and girlfriends

Something I have been thinking about lately and need the wise input of DC.

I have only been a gun owner for a couple of months now. Seeing as I cannot legally carry yet as I am not quite 21 I keep my pistol in my nightstand. I am a single 20 year old male who lives with a female friend of mine (yes just friend, haha) in an apartment. There are no children around. Occasionally I will have female friends spend the night and well you understand what I'm getting at.

One thing that is different I feel for my situation is that I do not need to have the conversation about letting a girl know I am carrying, as I can't yet. So this is where I feel it gets different and tricky. If I could carry then she would know that there is a gun in the apartment. But since I can't she wouldn't know at all.

What I am wondering is how everyone feels about the need to inform someone who is spending the night about the gun in the drawer next to the bed.

When do you feel it is necessary to inform someone about the gun? Should this be something that is talked about at all? Only after something consistant is established with her? My fear is that if I do not let her knowthat for one reason or another she will take a peek in the drawer and see what is in there and be completely freaked out. We all know how the can be at times, especially if they were completely unaware that it was even a possibility.

So friends of DC, what do you think? And how have some of you handled this in your lives.

Thanks for all your help

2. Remove Ads

Do you feel the need to inform them of what brand of motor oil you use? How about what brand of air freshener? If you can't trust a sleep over not to go plundering then lock it up prior. There's nothing evil in owning a firearm. Why act like there is?

The more you act like it's something not normal the more the sheep worry.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I wouldn't say anything. It's not the end of the world, and a huge percentage of the population at least has a gun in the home.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Tell her all YOUR secrets, when she tells you all HERS.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some things are best left unsaid

your house, no obligation to tell them anything....

Only you can know the emotional maturity of those you date or have over. It is definitely your call to make. However, don't think for a minute that people aren't nosy and that an overnight guest wouldn't poke around looking in your bedside drawers.

If she discovers the gun in your nightstand, you may end up discussing it before you had originally intended.

The other issue is, are you sure you can trust these people to be near a loaded gun if they discover it on their own while snooping around?

Not everyone is a snoop and go poking around, but don't just automatically afford them the luxury of believing they aren't one either. I may be an old fart at 48 but I have come to believe that over the years, a lot of today's "younger generation" have little respect for other people or their privacy. Heck that actually applies to people of all ages really, not just young people.

Bear in mind that a loaded gun inside a nightstand drawer is essentially an "unsecured gun." You may want to consider using a gun lock or some other method of securing it when you have guests over at the house.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I don't see the need to tell anyone what's in your nightstand drawer.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    If your guest isn't emotionally mature enough not to A) sneek a peek or B) Not freak out if she does, she probably isn't really emotionally mature enough to handle the type of relationship you're implying either.

Keep it quiet, and/or date farther up the maturity ladder, IMO.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    If your guest isn't emotionally mature enough not to A) sneek a peek or B) Not freak out if she does, she probably isn't really emotionally mature enough to handle the type of relationship you're implying either.

Keep it quiet, and/or date farther up the maturity ladder, IMO.
    +1 on that Arko! I agree 100%
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Since you asked...Secure your gun under lock and key, period. As to how you secure it, well there are a number of options out there so you will have to decide how fast you think you need to acess it. The last thing you need is an accidental shooting with your gun.

My only concern would be that, as others have said, simply putting it in the nightstand drawer it is unsecured. If she does snoop and finds it, she may or may not know any firearms safety. There's a very good chance she'll pick it up - finger on trigger, pointing every-which-way; just as Hollywood has taught her - and ask "Is this real?".

For "casual" overnight guests, I'd advocate locking it up in some fashion. If it's a girl you might want to get serious with, then you might want to bring it up.

Anyone spending any amount of time under your roof with an unsecured firearm needs to know, at the very minimum, better than to fool around with it. Ideally, they should know the four rules and how to make it safe should something happen to you.

Joe

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Girls like dangerous guys

seriously though what has already been said is what I would have. Secure the pistol and the gun.

No tell at this time

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    +1 on that Arko! I agree 100%
    But then again, would WE have listened to advice like that at 20 Bark?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links