Remington Model 7

Remington Model 7

This is a discussion on Remington Model 7 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking for a hunting rifle of my own since I have been borrowing two this year. The model 336 in 35rem feels ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington Model 7

Question Remington Model 7

I have been looking for a hunting rifle of my own since I have been borrowing two this year. The model 336 in 35rem feels great to shoulder and shoot. The Savage 110 in 30-06, not so much. I looked at a Remington Model 7 blued barrel and laminated stock and fell in love with it. Priced at $665. Ouch. Wanted one in .243. The Savage Stevens is only about $280 but I am sure the Length of Pull would be more. Any suggestions from the people in the know?
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

VIP Member
    I suggest buying the gun you love in the caliber you want. If you take care of a Remington you will have it all of your life (and your kids will be shooting it long after you're gone). If you buy the Stevens now just because it's cheaper you will go out and buy the Remington next year. The Stevens will have been a waste of $280.

I can promise you that if you buy the Remington Model 7 you will be very, very (note the use of two very's) happy with it. Remington makes great products!

In closing I'll say that only some sort of nancy boy would get one in .243 though. A real man would get a .308.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I suggest buying the gun you love in the caliber you want. If you take care of a Remington you will have it all of your life (and your kids will be shooting it long after you're gone). If you buy the Stevens now just because it's cheaper you will go out and buy the Remington next year. The Stevens will have been a waste of $280.

I can promise you that if you buy the Remington Model 7 you will be very, very (note the use of two very's) happy with it. Remington makes great products!

In closing I'll say that only some sort of nancy boy would get one in .243 though. A real man would get a .308.
    Another tongue in cheek bash of the sissy round. I looked at .243, 7mm-08, and .308. Especially in the lighter Remington model 7 the .243 would be more than enough for deer and fun to shoot. 7mm-08 ammo is a bit much and not a whole lot to choose from compared to the .243 or .308. Thanks for making me smile though haha

VIP Member
    I'll admit I'm a .308 fanatic. I'll also admit (if I'm forced to) that if you hit a whitetail in the boiler room with a .243 you'll put meat on the table. It pains me to say it though.

All kidding aside, buy the Remington!
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

On the .308 note. If the rifle is about a pound lighter than the standard size models wouldn't that make the .308 recoil feel like a larger caliber rifle?

.243 is a good hunting round and evento target shoot with. The good thing is with different bullets you can hunt deer, hogs or coyote.
    Save the $280 and buy a good rifle like remington, tikka, or along those lines you will be happier
    Led By Love Of Country

VIP Member
    I just don't think the .308 recoil is that heavy. Remember that the .243 is just a .308 case necked down to 24 caliber. You are still using the same amount of powder, just a smaller bullet. If you use a small weight bullet in the .308 recoil is very close. More for sure, but close.

I just don't think the .308 recoil is that heavy. Remember that the .243 is just a .308 case necked down to 24 caliber. You are still using the same amount of powder, just a smaller bullet. If you use a small weight bullet in the .308 recoil is very close. More for sure, but close.
    I was more concerned with the recoil difference of the .308 in a model 700 weight rifle and a model 7 weight rifle.

VIP Member
    If all you will ever want to hunt is whitetail deer with the rifle ,the PERFECT round is,,, .257 roberts, but good luck finding one which is not pricy, SECOND best perfect round for deer is 7mm, NoT 7mm Mag. Barring finding those two calibers in a rifle suitable to your tastes, I would opt for .the .308, because you can use it for varmit, all the way up to black bear and elk. JMHO

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chains1240 View Post
    I was more concerned with the recoil difference of the .308 in a model 700 weight rifle and a model 7 weight rifle.
    Answer= Not much. You probably wouldn't be able to tell when shooting them side by side.

ETA: Remember that adding a sling, rings and a scope will make the rifle heavier than a bare Model 700. One pound just isn't that big of a deal in the real world.

Administrator
    I'd save my penny's and buy the 7.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Answer= Not much. You probably wouldn't be able to tell when shooting them side by side.

ETA: Remember that adding a sling, rings and a scope will make the rifle heavier than a bare Model 700. One pound just isn't that big of a deal in the real world.
    Looking at the Savage website the Stevens model 200 is listed as 6.5 pounds just like the Remington. Putting pennies in the jar right now for the nicer Remington. I am a sucker for a laminate stock too. Thought I read that mounting a scope with a 50mm front objective raises the scope too high, and that lifts the cheek off the buttstock. Was looking at a Niken 4-12 or 4-16x50. Have to keep that in mind.

Definitely save for the model 7...it is a very nice rifle. .308 is a great round and definitely manageable. I do like your mention of .35 Remington. That is an oft forgot about round.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The .35 Marlin I am shooting has a hard plastic stock plate and is still easy to shoot. If I could buy it off of the Grandpa-in-law I would in a quick minute. If I buy a new rifle for myself I am leaning heavily towards the .243. I should be able to take any deer if I do my part with modern bullets and possibly coyote hunt with it too. My buddy that is letting me hunt on his land is a dairy farmer and wants the yotes to stay away. Plus I think with the soft recoil of a .243 I could practice a lot and become a better marksman.

Chains do you have a dicks sporting goods in your area? Last year I bought a model 700 Reminghton with a 3-9 Nikon BDC for $550.00 and I got $50.00 gift reciepe back in the mail.That included sale tax also. I bought a .270 and I use it hunting for deer,woodchucks. My neighbor bought one and took it to Out west and shot an elk with his. Good luck, I would by the model 7 though If thats what you want all you will do is second guess yourself if you don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links