Defensive Carry banner

Glock magazine spring extremly tight

15K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Pete63 
#1 ·
mag on my g21 sf is so tight it insane what's the best way to work it in? It's to hard to load and won't release mag with full clip right now any suggestions?

#2 ·
My various G19 mags are all really tight too. They are about a year old and have stayed tight despite use. I have to use the included mag loader to put in the last 5 rounds. They still feed fine.

As for not dropping free... hmmm All the mags I have seen in the USA have been "drop free" (so they will fall out of the gun even if fully loaded). As originally designed by Gaston Glock, the top part of the mag was plastic and when it was full, it would expand and friction would hold it if you accidentally press the mag release. The drop free mags have the steel sleeve all the way up so they don't flex. It could be you have non drop free mags?

I would assume your pistol is pretty new if, call Glock in Georgia.

#3 ·
Load it to full capacity using the provided loading tool. It's going to be rough, but it can be done. Once it's done, it gets easier. As far as not dropping the magazine readily, try some Armor-All on the magazine or something similar.

#8 ·
It is not usually a good idea at all to lubricate any magazine. I would sooner recommend a third party magazine. Using a magazine reloader is an okay idea if you don't have thick skin on your thumb yet but.....

#5 ·
Glock and most of my double stack mags are really tight.

I think it's just that way by design?

As for your mags not dropping out, try cleaning your mags and mag well out really well. It could be some gunk in there.

#10 ·
My Glock mags were very tight. Just squeeze 'em in and let it sit for awhile.:yup:

#11 ·
when i get new mags that are tight i cycle them at the range with 5 or 6 rounds at a time to get the springs cycling quicker than full loads...its cycling that loosens the mags up...leave them filled to capacity in the safe and it might help a bit just to settle the springs in...you can load them and cycle them by hand also..just flip the rounds out of them after loading them...compression and expeansion is what wears the springs....

#12 ·
ok ive got them sittin in my safe right now loaded my main concern was it not releasing when full (thoguh didnt get a chance to examine which style of mag i have) so i dunno it works great and releases smoothly when its only got 12 in it so ill so some more research and go on with my life

#14 ·
#16 ·
For my G30, I loaded the mags full and left them that way for a couple fo days. Now I can fill them by hand, but the thumbs DO get sore after a few reloads. It's much easier using the loading tool.

Leaving the mags full will NOT harm the springs.

Never had a problem with the mags not dropping out. Sounds like somethings not right there; a full mag is pretty heavy and should fall right out.

#17 ·
It's new huh? Get out and shoot it if you have not yet. Don't just sit it in the safe and think it will break itself in. 500-1000 rds and that thing will sing a very different tune.

#18 ·
My G21sf was real tight for a wile as well. Been shooting it for a coulple years now and it's real easy to load. fill it all the way and empty and repeat. that spring need to be worked real good.

#19 ·
Just part of the design. Cramming the very last round they can into the design.

#22 ·
Welcome to the forum, from Magnolia. I'm afraid you're about 10 year's late responding to Wolf88, as that's how long it's been since he's been here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.