What to do with unreliable gun?

This is a discussion on What to do with unreliable gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heres my predicament. I have a kimber pro cdp II. I bought it for concealed carry. I have 2 other guns, a sig p229 9mm ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Heres my predicament. I have a kimber pro cdp II. I bought it for concealed carry. I have 2 other guns, a sig p229 9mm and a sig p220 which neither have ever jammed. My kimber on the other hand has had nearly 5 malfunctions. 2 cycle jams, and 3 failure to loads. All under 400 rounds total. I can't carry something that is this unreliable when I have 2 other guns that have never jammed, and I would like to have all three of my carry guns to be rotated. The fact that the kimber is the prettiest gun and most expensive gun at that isn't good enough for me. Here are my options. Keep it, and be more patient see if it will "break in" or what not. Trade it in and get only 2/3 of what I paid for it as far as trade in. Send it back to kimber which to be honest I don't really want to do because I don't want to wait months to get my firearm back. Any feedback is appreciated. Please let me know what you think you would do, and not what you think everyone else would do.
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

Since you have more two to choose from, I would send it back
    to Kimber and let them make it right.

Finnish breaking that puppy in, a few more hundred rounds
    should do it,
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Hang on the the Kimber...send it in...it can become a dependable firearm. I would not want to pass on a problem to someone else. Get a few hundred more rounds through it prior to sending it in, you may be surprised how easily it will straighten out.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Seems like a no-brainer to me..............send it back. Man, this is another unhappy Kimber owner. No matter gun site I visit, I read about Kimber failures. And for an expense gun.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Sell it. I had a S&W M&P do the same thing to me. Everyone told me it was me. After a trip back to S&W the problems persisted. It's gone. No more S&W plastic fantastic for me.

If you cant trust it, you cant trust it. Sell it. It will always be in the back of your mind.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I had an early Pro Carry that I sent back to Kimber twice. Very accurate but it kept throwing brass in my face. They never did get it right. I sent it back a third time when the ejector broke off one of its pins. They fixed that but, still ejected brass into my face. Me, I would send it back and then trade it off.

kpw
    Make sure it's well lubed, especially during break-in. Swap the Kimber mags for something else. I've had the best luck with Wilsons. Try different ammo. Both Kimbers I've owned turned out to be very reliable, after shaky starts, when I swapped mags and fed them ammo they liked.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It may still be a break-in issue. Put a few hundred rounds more through it and see what happens. If it gives you problems after that, then send it to Kimber. If it STILL gives you problems, then either take it to a good gunsmith you trust or eat your losses and trade it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'd dump it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I had two Kimbers with similar issues after more than ample time for break-in. Both CDP's, one an ultra the other a compact. Traded them both. How much time, money and hassle can Kimber expect us to invest before we get a gun that works? Personally, I can't get comfortable selling a gun I know has issues. In those cases I will trade it to a shop with a smith. They're aware of it and their smith can work on it if they choose.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have owned three Kimbers; two full size and one compact. I sent all back to Kimber more than once. I sold the two full sized ones to a friend who knew the problems. He was once a gunsmith, and got them to run finally.

Kimber never got the Compact running and I ended up sending it off to Clark, I think. Finally it is reliable, and is my range gun. My carry 1911 is a SA Compact LW SS.

In my view Springfield customer service is so superior to Kimber, and so are their guns that I would not buy another Kimber.

In the case of the OP I would send it back to Kimber at their expense (hopefully) and hope they can get it right. If not I would probably trade or sell it with the buyer knowing why.

I remember when Kimbers were said to be the best thing since sliced bread, but my experience has not shown that.

Regards,
    Jerry

kpw
    It's not just Kimber. I've had similar issues with Colts and Springfields, as well. Many people buy 1911s and have them work perfect straight from the box. Out of the half-dozen I've owned, not one would. A couple had more issues than the others but, in the end, they turned out fine.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    It's not just Kimber. I've had similar issues with Colts and Springfields, as well. Many people buy 1911s and have them work perfect straight from the box. Out of the half-dozen I've owned, not one would. A couple had more issues than the others but, in the end, they turned out fine.
    My experience with OTB 1911s also.

Regards,
    Jerry

It's a Kimber.

Burn it.

I had terrible customer service from them. They aren't worth the time to talk to or send a gun into them.

If I had known how bad they were, I would never have bought it, or I'd have turned it in to the police for destruction rather than send it in.

They are that bad.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links