Defensive Carry banner

I took my Mom shooting for the first time

916 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mprp 
#1 ·
Yesterday was a great day. My whole family got together and went to the range. My mom had never shot a handgun before, but we convinced her to try. We started her out on a .22 revolver and on her first try she had very good groupings, and a few shots in the 10 ring of the standard bullseye target. We were all encouraging, and excited for her. Then we convinced her to shoot the 9mm. She didn't do quite as well with that, but still a solid performance.

She still seems to have no desire to go shooting agian, and says she probably couldn't shoot someone to stop them from hurting her, but admitted that she wouldn't hesitate to grab my dads gun if someone was after one of her babies (my siblings and I range from 22 to 29).

Any suggestions on how to convince her to protect herself even at the cost of injuring/killing another person? I understand that it is her choice and some people can not choose their own life over another's even if they are a criminal, but I would love to hear some rational or even emotional discussions that might be used to sway her opinion.

#2 ·
Congrats on getting her to the range. I would go with the, Im concerned with you well being mom approach. This might open her eyes. Tell her that you feel the same about her, that she feels for you.

#4 ·
Aren't moms the sweetest! She still says she would whip out the wrath if something were to happen to you guys. That's just the way moms are I guess. From 22 to 29 it sounds like it's your guys' turn to take care of Mom. :wink: Tell her that she better do SOMETHING to protect herself, otherwise her babies are likely to end up in prison if someone ended up hurting her. I know that's where I stand with my mom. Sorry, that's MOM man! She's done a lot of time "for" me; I'd be willing to do a lot of "time" for her.

I have never been through a more difficult time in my life than watching my mom after losing one of my brothers of 36 years old and father of 2 in 2007. It was bad enough losing one of only two brothers I had. But watching Mom about killed me. It is then that you realize how much Mom actually cares for you and it is definitely the worst possible way to find out. K, I'm done. Starting to get choked up again thinking about it. Don't get me started on the Mom thing. :ticking: I would simply tell my mom that if SHE doesn't end up killing the guy doing her serious harm, I would do it eventually anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.