Concern: HK USP45c Trigger Problem

This is a discussion on Concern: HK USP45c Trigger Problem within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While taking a CCW class at an outdoor range, my wife in the lane next to me was shooting my HK USP 45 compact when ...

While taking a CCW class at an outdoor range, my wife in the lane next to me was shooting my HK USP 45 compact when the trigger failed. I was shooting my Smith at the time, so I don't know exactly what happened but when I inspected the weapon (after of course clearing it) I found the trigger would not send the hammer fully home onto the firing pin. In SA mode the trigger releases and then catches the hammer such that the hammer stops before hitting the firing pin and the hammer never falls fully home. I cannot clear or resolve this problem.

Has anyone ever had or heard of this type of problem?

I just called HK's Service Dep't and they said they're in the middle of a large military contract and I need to wait and call them back in two weeks, at which time they'll issue a repair number and then I can ship it in for what should be a warranty repair.

The guy said it's probably a simple fix, but I am concerned because any weapons failure, especially a semi-permanent one that cannot be cleared/rectified while firing, with a supposedly quality weapon like HK, well, that's a major problem to me.

This is my only HK and I bought it about two years ago (approx. 1,500 rounds through it so it is still quite new) because my brother-in-law has a Mark 23 and told me about HK's stellar reputation for reliability. I have a Ruger and a Smith, and my wife has a Taurus, and none of those weapons has ever given us any problems.

I am very concerned about this. My HK was not inexpensive.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
    I am very concerned about this. My HK was not inexpensive.
    I 100% agree. Firearms should work.

they're in the middle of a large military contract and I need to wait and call them back in two weeks
    I would not be so happy if they told me that. If they are going to be in business selling private firearms, they need to be on top of it. It takes less than 5 minutes on the phone to give you a return # and an address to ship it. It probably will take someone less than 20 minutes to swap out the trigger and function test it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

USPs are great guns. That being said they have notoriously ugly double action trigger pull. Single action is usually very good. There is a mechanism to prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is all the way to the rear. All guns except very old ones have this. There is a lever connected to the trigger with a raised portion that depresses the firing pin release button in the slide. My guess is something is not right with this. Factory is your best bet, but a local gunsmith could probably solve it without too much expense. Might even be cheaper than shipping to the factory.

GOOD LUCK!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    USPs are great guns. That being said they have notoriously ugly double action trigger pull. Single action is usually very good. There is a mechanism to prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is all the way to the rear. All guns except very old ones have this. There is a lever connected to the trigger with a raised portion that depresses the firing pin release button in the slide. My guess is something is not right with this. Factory is your best bet, but a local gunsmith could probably solve it without too much expense. Might even be cheaper than shipping to the factory.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Beat me to it.

Might also check to be sure that there is not some buildup of whatever that is keeping the trigger froma full range of motion.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Yes, agreed that a local gunsmith might be a quicker fix. But with my gun being so new I want to work with HK, especially if this problem continues. The Service Dep't guy I talked to today said he never heard of such a problem (but, who knows how long he's been working there?). I'd like to believe this is a rare problem but that's why I posted this here and on a few other places.

I doubt it's a buildup of residue/dirt/other. I keep my weapon clean. Old military habits die hard, I guess.

I'll take another look at the gun tonight when I get home. Maybe I'll call HK tomorrow to see if I can talk to another person who gives me a better answer. I understand if they're filling a big military order; being former military myself I can understand our troops in uniform taking priority. But what would it have hurt if they gave me the repair auth number and told me to send it in now? No HK tech is going to look at it while it's in my house, but if it's sitting on a bench there then someone might have a spare minute to take a quick look and see if it's something obvious.

I would call them again and speak to someone else, and I would be more than a little mad at their 2 weeks response, thats a load of crap. Go to the HK Pro forum and post this message as well maybe they can help you out. Good luck.

Agreed. I will call them tomorrow and push this issue. I have posted to HK Pro, HK USA and PAFOA. I got a pretty good description on PAFOA and I'm pretty sure that's what the problem is.

I get HK to fix this and explain what the problem is and what caused it. I'll post a follow-up.

HK fixed it under warranty. They received it two days ago, fixed it yesterday and I received it today, so it was a quick fix and turnaround. The armorer said it was a "freak thing", not caused by anything he's aware of: the end closest to the hammer broke off.

How does this happen? I hope I'm not inadvertently doing something to cause this.

Here's an unbroken trigger bar for comparison:
    1 trigger bar, complete, picture from web page.jpg

Here's my trigger bar, broken at the left end:
    2 my broken trigger bar.jpg

Closer look at the broken left end:
    3 my broken trigger bar.jpg

The trigger bar goes in the right side of the gun:
    4 my repaired trigger bar in USPc.jpg

Here are arrows, to help those like me find where it is (it took me a while):
    5 my repaired trigger bar in USPc.jpg

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    "HK, because you suck and we hate you"

Search Results HK you suck Monster Hunter Nation

Links