Can you receive guns through mail?

This is a discussion on Can you receive guns through mail? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello again, I use to live in Alabama and now reside in Texas. I have guns at my parents house in bama and was wondering ...

Hello again,

I use to live in Alabama and now reside in Texas. I have guns at my parents house in bama and was wondering if I could get them sent to Tx legally through the mail? I have a shotgun and a russian SKS. I've never had to deal with moving firearms and I hope there is some way to make it happen.

Thanks!

Martymar
    Kahr K9/Crossbreed supertuck

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    -Al Capone

Contact your local post office and they will give you directions on how to mail them.
    I suggest you use gun cases, wrap the guns liberally in bubble wrap and use balled up newspaper or packing material at each end of the case to keep the guns from shifting. Slide the cases back into the original cardboard boxes. USPS is pretty rough on packages. Do not indicate that they are guns on the package.

I think you're going to run into way too many legal issues going through the mail either usps or UPS. Think you'll need an FFL to do that. IMO...there should be better ways for you to get from point A to point B. If you know what I'm saying. You can send any parts other than receivers (the basic firearm itself) through the mail without much hassle.

Perfectly legal to send long guns through the mail. The only catch is they need to be sent by you to yourself at the other end and no one (repeat no one) is permitted to open that parcel on the other end other than you. The only other option is you can also send them to an FFL on the other end and they can receive them for you. Pistols can not be sent USPS and UPS has to be overnight air. Best thing to do is go visit your parents and drive them back with you. They are your guns and you can move them as easily as you moved yourself.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I've shipped many guns via UPS. The USPS doesn't ship firearms to my knowledge. I've found the last place to go is one of those UPS mall stores with the young teenager working the counter. Her manager wanted me to reopen the package and break apart the gun. Bye-bye! I located a privately owned mail/storage box shipping store. Here locally one sees them in strip malls. Package it good and tight, tell him it's a firearm and off she goes via UPS. Keep in mind, UPS will not ship to a PO box. Just my experience to pass along.

PS: After re-reading your post, I'm not totally sure you can ship a firearm from a store to a private residence via UPS. The shipping I've done has been from me back to the factory. Which probably makes a big difference. Good luck.
    Last edited by Blue Jacket; December 31st, 2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added a PS
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Long guns can be sent through USPS, and I have done so. I do not know the problems of your guns in another state. I suspect it can be done, but not sure. I do know you can ship guns to yourself under certain circumstances.
    The problem might revolve around your parents shipping them to you even though they are your guns.

I would call the local ATF and see what the regs state.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thanks for the replies! I will have to call a couple of postal services and find out if I can save a long trip to Bama.

Thanks again!

Roll Tide!!!
    Kahr K9/Crossbreed supertuck

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
    -Al Capone

FFL's can ship pistols USPS I believe, but not individuals.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    save yourself a lot of hassle..... gas up, drive to Alabama, visit your folks and bring your guns back to Texas yourself.....

win-win

surv

I'd make the drive. My guns are much too valuable to me to entrust them to someone else, even temporarily.

time for a ROAD TRIP !!! .....

Links