(EARLY) Glock 19 Recall Notices

This is a discussion on (EARLY) Glock 19 Recall Notices within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello and Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all... I have an early Glock 19 S/N FAxxx... manufactured in '89 and would ...

Thread: (EARLY) Glock 19 Recall Notices

(EARLY) Glock 19 Recall Notices

Hello and Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...
    I have an early Glock 19 S/N FAxxx... manufactured in '89 and would like to know if anyone knows of any recall notices that might affect this pistol? I called Glock and the tech suggested I send it to get evaluated and "upgraded" as many parts have been updated since it was built. Based on his suggestion I decided to do just that. He never actually answered me if the gun has any recall notices. Ends up the UPS Store cannot legally ship handguns (rifles ok) so I have to go to Daytona to ship this at an actual UPS "Center". Anyway- GLOCK will pay return shipping costs but the shipment to them is on my dime- ($20.00) so I am left with the question- if there is a recall notice shouldn't GLOCK pay shipping both ways? That dilemna is what leads me to ask about recalls for the early 19s. I have another call in to GLOCK and am awaiting their return phone call. If anyone has any info in the meanwhile I would be most grateful.
    Thanks a lot
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

$20 sounds like a cheap fix. IMHO.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Glock will generally replace any part needed with the most recent and upgraded parts and put it in almost "like-new" condition. Cheap for any price. It's that or join the Glock Shooting Sport Foundation ("GSSF") and go to one of the GSSF events where Glock Armorers do the same.

I'd gladly pay the one-way shipping to have my gun 're-Glocked'...

Hey, you still here? Go get that thing in the mail...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You guys are absolutely right - 20 is a small price to pay to have GLOCK update the pistol and I do consider that extraordinary. I just didn't want to travel to Daytona to ship it. I know, I know, how lazy am I? It's just 60 miles (round trip) that I was hoping to avoid. Having the pre-paid shipping label from GLOCK means only walking 1.5 miles to a local UPS Store who would send it if a pre-paid label accompanied the pkg. Anyway- I do appreciate your comments and input and as of this writing (16:35 hrs EST) GLOCK has not returned my phone call.
    Stay well - Stay sane. Happy New Year
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my friend, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

NRA CERTIFIED RIFLE & PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
    PROUD NRA LIFE MEMBER

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    UPS stores can't ship handguns, but the UPS facility can. You may have to call UPS customer service as you'll likely encounter a counter moron who will tell you they can't ship it. The CS department will set them straight. you CAN ship directly to the manufacturer or to a dealer ONLY. Been there, done that.

$20 is cheap compared to what could happen without necessary upgrades.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Glock doesn't do recalls, they do Upgrades. $20 bucks and gun updated. Send it in.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

last month i was in atlanta and i stopped in at glock. i had my old g27 backup duty gun that was long in the tooth. many rounds and carried hard. check in at the front gate, went to the building on the right and asked to see an armor. two minutes later one came out. i asked him if he would check out my gun. he had me do a request form and the gun went to the back. about 30 minutes later the gun came back and it had all new parts. the only parts not changed out were the barrel, frame and slide. they tested fired and cleaned the gun. all for free. hard to beat. so send it in, it might take longer by mail.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    last month i was in atlanta and i stopped in at glock. i had my old g27 backup duty gun that was long in the tooth. many rounds and carried hard. check in at the front gate, went to the building on the right and asked to see an armor. two minutes later one came out. i asked him if he would check out my gun. he had me do a request form and the gun went to the back. about 30 minutes later the gun came back and it had all new parts. the only parts not changed out were the barrel, frame and slide. they tested fired and cleaned the gun. all for free. hard to beat. so send it in, it might take longer by mail.
    Wow! Hard to beat that service!!!!!!!!!!!

All 1st and 2nd generation Glocks should have upgraded parts installed if they haven't already. As far as Glock recalls in the civilian sector, some of the 'E' serial number series in the 3rd generation G23s has been the latest I believe.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I bought my G19 back in 1989 and a few years later was asked to send it in for an upgrade.
    I think they were having some minor problems with some parts.
    By all means spend the $20 and send it in.

G19 'Recall'

I have a G19 that I bought in the late 80's or early 90's that Glock requested be returned to the factory. I don't remember if it was an official recall, but it seems to me that they paid shipping both ways. Living in Illinois at the time, I believe I shipped it UPS from the Morton grocery store and return deliver was to my door via the apartment office.

Official recalls are one thing, possible issues is another. I think Glock takes care of things well before they get out of hand. Filling out your warranty card helps...calling them helps. It furthers the cause in a Glock world. They can't do everything at the factory, and I think over all, they are concerned with the end user being safe foremost, and satisfied as well. You hear way too many of the free fixes or upgrades. Those times it costs you something, you can almost bet it's just to cover shipping if you don't happen to be close to a Glock authorized armorer. I think that's a company that stands behind their product 100% and then some as well as keeping the contract law enforcement personnel in the best equipment available. Suggested upgrades is not a weakness for the line, it's keeping the customer up to date and safe for the life of the pistol even if your original warranty has expired on paper. That's going above and beyond what most would do, and it's a commitment that's unparalleled in the industry to my thinking. Just ask me sometime if you want to know more about what I think of Glock pistols and customer support. I've heard way to many a tale about how Glock simply replaced the whole pistol. Think of buying a Glock with a lifetime warranty no matter what you'll read on paper. That's just the way it is for the most part.

I've shipped many pistols via UPS and FedEx...always had to pay considerably more than $20!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links