More muzzle loader questions.

This is a discussion on More muzzle loader questions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You might want a few speed loaders, not that you will neeed more than one shot, but just in case . You never can tell. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More muzzle loader questions.

Senior Moderator
    You might want a few speed loaders, not that you will neeed more than one shot, but just in case

You never can tell.
    A friend of mine shot at a good buck that was standing about 70 yards away and missed it. The buck ran about 10 yards and stopped, looking around. He couldnt figure out what was happening. My friend had time to load his second shot and with that one he got him.

I always carry 3 speed loaders plus the shot in the gun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

+1 on the speed loaders, but more than that clean the barrell after every shot. the Hawken I used to have insisted on it, Especially if you plan on using black powder. When I first started muzzle loader hunting I shot at the same deer three times one morning with my hawken and I aint touched him yet. I would shoot ,he would run 10 yds, three times , finally I had to run him off after I ran out of bullets, After All this I went home and couldnt hit a milk jug at twenty yards, cleaned the barrell and back to bullseyes.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I've been using a TC Hawken in .50 since 1975. I shoot a .490 roundball with 100 gr of Goex FFg which is "real" blackpowder. I've tried conicals, maxi bullets, and pistol bullets with sabots and they all work well for deer too but the round ball has always killed as well as anything else. The only roundball I've been able to recover went thru bone in both shoulders and was under the skin opposite side. Dead deer. I like staying a bit more traditional by using real BP and a round patched ball.
    You have to shoot your gun to see what load it likes. They're all a bit different and have their favorite loads. In 1975 my Dad and brother got Hawkens too. Dad's preferred 85 gr and any more the groups would open up. My brother's preferred 110 gr for tightest groups. If I drop below 100 grs then my groups open up.
    Others have pretty well listed the accessories to get your going. You'll also need something like a nipple wrench, patch puller, bullet puller, extra ramrod, extra nipple, patch knife if you use strips of material for patches. I also carry a paperclip to use as a nipple pick. I picked up a nylon overlength ramrod which is unbreakable. I like the ramrod to be about 4" longer than the barrel when it's being carried. It makes it easier to remove the ramrod when reloading. After breaking a couple of wooden ramrods I went with the all nylon.
    Pick up a good patch lube. Don't use spit to wet your patch when hunting. Spit will dry out during the day and it doesn't lube the barrel.
    After shooting make sure you clean it well. Hot soapy water is about as good as it gets. When rinsing use hot boiling water poured down the barrel. It will heat the barrel where the water will evaporate and make it easier to dry. Then oil it up and you're good for the next time. I always remove the nipple when cleaning and clean the nipple separate. That way the nipple threads get cleaned and lubed. Also don't forget to wash off the hammer and metal and wood around the hammer. Residue from the cap will get on those items and corode.
    They're a lot of fun. Enjoy.
    183 FBINA

I'd stay away from real black powder. It's really corrosive.
    Is this true? Anything documented on it? I have been warned just the opposite, that pryodex is more corrosive as it is more acidic. I have been using Black Powder since the late 60's and have never had a rust problem.

Michael

I buy powder in smaller amounts so that I'm buying fresh powder often and I throw out all of my left overs from year to year.
    Real black doesn't go bad. Its not like smokless of the other fake stuff. I order my black 25 lbs at a time and never worry about it. I will admit that most the time it doesn't last over a year. I would never throw black powder out, it will be good 100 years from now.

Michael

Administrator
    Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming. I've ordered a bunch of stuff as I have nothing black powder related in my great collection of stuff.
    Flask, measure, caps, starter thingy jig, bullets, cleaning junk all kinds of stuff. I got some round ball and patchs, also a couple of boxes of the maxi-ball for hunting. I suppose since I'm doing all this short notice, I'll have to work on a load for the maxi-ball and worry about the round ball later for fun.

I guess I got to get myself over to Brass Pro and pick up some powder next.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Best part is, you can shoot through the condom and it wont affect your accuracy.
    I dunno if I could bring myself to do this. I've been trying not to do that all these years.

"Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The list of items given already should do you for your hunt. I personally prefer black powder over Pyrodex. The corrosion possibility isn't an issue if you clean your gun after shooting. Also black powder will give you surer ignition than Pyrodex. When I owned a archery/muzzle loading shop I used to demonstrate the difference in ignition to newbees. I'd put a small amount of black powder on a steel plate and touch a cigarette to it, immediate ignition. Then I'd put a small amount of Pyrodex on the plate and put a cigarette out in it without it going off.

As far as figuring your optimal load. You can always do it the old fashion way. Place butcher paper on the ground in front of you. Shooting from the prone position, load and shoot (depending on caliber 70 gr for .50 80 grs for .54). Look to see if you have unburned powder on the paper. If you have unburned powder decrease your load by 5 grs. If no unburned powder increase your load by 5 grs until you have unburned powder, the back it back to where you don't have unburned powder. You've now got your optimum load.

Administrator
    Huh. That's a pretty neat tip Archer. I might try that since my time is running short.
    The late muzzleloader season starts on the 9th and runs to the 12th. It just so happens I have all those days off.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    An interesting note...

I shoot 92 grains for the maxiball.

Using the same sight setting to shoot a round ball is 70 grains.

One for targets and plinking, one for hunting without adjusting the sights.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Administrator
    Yeah, thats what I would like to do to. Find the load for ball and maxi with out having to sight in each time I switch. Reality is though, I probably won't shoot it much anyway. Just enough before hunting to get some practice in.

I got to find a coon skin cap.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    and a big Bowie knife

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member

Smile Some more suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, thats what I would like to do to. Find the load for ball and maxi with out having to sight in each time I switch. Reality is though, I probably won't shoot it much anyway. Just enough before hunting to get some practice in.

I got to find a coon skin cap.
    Congrats on the purchase. That rifle will last a lifetime.

Sound approach Sixto. Each rifle is different. For mine, 70 grains is the most accurate with patched ball and maxi at 50 yards.

I prefer Goex to Pyrodex. Smells better, ignites faster IMHO, cleans up better with soap and water.

Another couple of recommended accesories for the Hawkin are a pin puller, and a brash pin punch. These two are used to pull the barrel pins out and hammer them back in. They won't mar the pins or the stock. I don't recommend using screw drivers and such.

A couple of safety notes to reinforce with black powder.
    1) Never, ever, ever poor from the flask or container directly into the barrel.

2) Avoid the tendency to lean over the barrel when pouring powder and raming the ball home. I've seen too many guys do this.

3) If you get a hang fire, failure to fire (rarely, but it does happen), I recommend waiting a full 2 minutes before trying another cap. I've had one go off once after a minute. Startled me good!

For cleanup, I've always used boiling water and Murphy's oil soap.
    Remove the barrel, put the breach in the bucket, use a funnel, and pour pour the water down the muzzle. Put some Murphy's in the bucket with the hot water, put a patch on the rod, push it down, and pull it up a couple of times to draw the soapy water up. Do this until the patch shows no fouling. Then pour the remainder of the boiling water down the barrel. Take the barrel out of the bucket and set it aside to dry. The heat will dry the water out in about 30 minutes. Then oil it up good, put the barrel and pins back in the stock, and you are good to go. There are other methods of cleaning too, but this one is what I mostly use.

VIP Member
    Looks like it's covered.

Was happy to see someone mentioned a bullet puller.

Be sure to carry it with you.

Wet powder on a rainy day w/o one is a bummer.

BTW -- in addition to a balloon (cheaper that a condom) learn to keep the muzzle pointed down.

Enjoy! Not only the extend season, but just the plain fun of shooting black powder.

BTW -- in addition to trying various loads, try out different patch material, if you use a patched ball. I used to shoot BP competitively and found patch material made a big difference and different guns like different material.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    Thanks ctr and DaveH. My next question was going to be about cleaning it; I think you covered it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you BUY NEW you'll have a book that will put you @ right load & gn ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links