More muzzle loader questions. - Page 3

More muzzle loader questions.

This is a discussion on More muzzle loader questions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by hogdaddy If you BUY NEW you'll have a book that will put you @ right load & gn ;-) H/D Although my ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    If you BUY NEW you'll have a book that will put you @ right load & gn ;-)
    H/D
    Although my T/C was new in box, it didn't come with any book. T/C does have all the manuals available on PDF, so that makes it nice. There is a ton of info that T/C provides.
    Also from what I gather, each rifle is unique anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hunt with either of two Knight inlines, but I have used traditional muzzleloaders also. Most traditions have a rifling twist that is designed for round balls, and thus do not shoot conicals very well. As for effectiveness, many a deer has been taken with the round ball. There will on occasion be one that runs off after being shot, but I've seen the same thing with lung shot deer with a high powered rifle too.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    I hunt with either of two Knight inlines, but I have used traditional muzzleloaders also. Most traditions have a rifling twist that is designed for round balls, and thus do not shoot conicals very well. As for effectiveness, many a deer has been taken with the round ball. There will on occasion be one that runs off after being shot, but I've seen the same thing with lung shot deer with a high powered rifle too.
    Yeah, that is what I originally learned too. But, from what I'm gathering now, T/C has come up with the maxi-ball that gives the best of both worlds. Several other people on other boards have reported great accuracy with the maxi ball and traditional rifles.
    If they don't work for me, I have a couple of hundred round ball coming too.

I sure wish I lived as close to the Log Cabin shop like I once did. I'd be set and already shot the gun several times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    - is it OK to dry fire a cap lock? I dont see why not, but maybe I'm missing something.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    No...
    It smashes the nipple and make it hard to put on a cap. Dont do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Guns that are set up to shoot round-balls are usually a 1 in 66 twist. These wont shoot conicals all that great.

The TC is a 1 in 48 which shoots both pretty well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    No...
    It smashes the nipple and make it hard to put on a cap. Dont do it.
    +1 no go on the dry fire. However, you can buy some clear tubing from Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware store that is large enough to fit around the outside of the nipple. Cut off a piece about 1/4 inch longer than the nipple is high, put it over the nipple, and dry fire away. When the tubing is crushed, pull it out and use another piece. I used to do this alot, but then I eventually figured it was more fun to go to the range and practice.

Administrator
    OK, that makes sense. I want to adjust the triggers a bit is why I want to dry fire. I think I have some tubing in the workshop. It looks as if some aquarium air line would work perfect.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Check out this guy's Hawken;

Completed Rifle

Its one of the best looking I've seen on the net.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto, things have been covered pretty well so far. If you decide you've got the bug, check the site of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association - nmlra-dot-org. Good info and there's a list of field reps and clubs/shoots so you can find something local.
    Steve

Administrator
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got the bug. I've been looking and researching stuff non stop now. I guess because its just something different in the gun world.

I see you are in SW Ohio; me too. Do you know if there are local black powder clubs?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    Sixto, things have been covered pretty well so far. If you decide you've got the bug, check the site of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association - nmlra-dot-org. Good info and there's a list of field reps and clubs/shoots so you can find something local.
    If you get the bug, you need to visit NMLRA - Visit Friendship, Indiana and go to the National Championship Shoot is held in mid-September.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I shoot BP/ML "QUITE A BIT" ( Hunting,BP/ML competition (pistol & rifle), Rendezvous & FUN. Plus I am a NRA TC Inst.( all 3 of the BP/ML disciplines) I am also a Charter Member & Forum moderator Here http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadinga...om/forum]Index of /forum

BTW, although I do own & shoot "cappers (esp in the rain here in the PNW) I primarily shoot "flinters.

I will PM you

Puffer

Just wanted to add, TC Borebutter is the eighth wonder of the world.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Sixto - I agree with DaveH. Get to Friendship during a National shoot (Spring and Fall) if at all possible. In answer to your question, there are several NMLRA Charter Clubs close - at least two in Cincinnati, in Dayton, and in Miamisburg - as well as bunches around the state. There are three or four Field Reps in the Cincy/Dayton area. The NMLRA website has a click on link to listing of reps and clubs for contact info.

I've been a member of the NMLRA for over thirty years, but have not shot competition for a long time (seems like something always comes up - that's life and work). Most clubs shoot on Sundays, and I get tied up with church responsibilities. National shoots are great fun to go to, even if you just hang around and inhale the atmosphere.

NMLRA is a great organization, and works hand-in-hand with the NRA and others to preserve our heritage and the Second Amendment.
    Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links