More muzzle loader questions. - Page 4

More muzzle loader questions.

This is a discussion on More muzzle loader questions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by liljake82 Just wanted to add, TC Borebutter is the eighth wonder of the world. TC bore butter is good stuff! For those ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More muzzle loader questions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    Just wanted to add, TC Borebutter is the eighth wonder of the world.
    TC bore butter is good stuff! For those who don't know, it is used to prevent corrosion in the bore. Regular oils will deactivate your powder (render inert). Bore butter will not. When I clean my MZloader during deer season I never get any type of regular oil or lube near it. I use bore butter and lots of it. I never have any problems with misfires. (I do use conventional oil in the bore for long term storage)

I put it in a glass bowl and microwave it for about 20 seconds. It melts just like real butter. When I'm finished cleaning I soak my patches in it. It slimes into all the grooves real good this way and when it hits the cold steel it congeals and sticks there. I get great coverage and no rust this way.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    How do you clean it when its time to shoot again? Will a regular patch job work, or is there more to it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    How do you clean it when its time to shoot again? Will a regular patch job work, or is there more to it?
    I use it to lube the patch that goes around the (round) ball that I shoot. If it's a thin layer there is no need to clean it all out. It actually helps hold down fowling.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member

A dry patch (or two) before going out to shoot is all you need to get rid of the extra bore butter. What remains of it helps lube up the barrel and (I think) just melts away when you fire it. Bore butter is also used by allot of folks to lube patches (patch and ball type) so it doesn't hurt to have some in the bore. You just don't want to have too much and cause an obstruction.

ETA: Ooops what rstickle said ^^^ up there.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

After swabbing then snap a couple of caps before loading. That will clean out any lube in the nipple.
    183 FBINA

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    Just wanted to add, TC Borebutter is the eighth wonder of the world.
    Bore butter is a good product. But many of the "experienced" I shoot with, do not use it, esp to lube patches. In our competition events, we will shoot 20 + rnds. per round ( some events are timed.) & often up to 60+ in a day. Fouling, esp. in our "close tolerance guns ( my match pistols use only a .10 patch ) is a real problem & Bore butter has a "tendency" to contribute to the fouling ( IMHO). Quite a few of us use "moose milk" ( a concoction made by each of us. Mine has dish soap, Murphy's Oil Soap & Hoppe's BP solvent.) This not only lubes the patch, but "cleans" the fouling with each shot It also makes clean up after the round of shooting, quick. Just a couple of saturated patches + 1 dry & your ready for the next event.

As to Butter Bore, I do use it after my final clean @ night, to protect the Bbl. over night, but thourghly clean it out before starting the day.

Just my "take"

Puffer

VIP Member
    Hey puffer is your moose milk the basic equivalent of what I buy in the white bottle (yellow sticker) from TC for cleaning? The white milky stuff? If so I'd like the recipe please.

VIP Member
    I don't use the bore butter either. Lotta buildup with repeated shots. For 1 or 2 shots as in hunting, I usually just spit on the patch. For range time or events, I use a mixture of Murphy's oil and alcohol or Windex, depending on what I have on hand.

Murphy's oil is good stuff. Same thing that lubes also cleans up later.

There are many different forms of moose milk. Some folks mix Ballistol with water in different ratios. Some use combinations of murphys oil soap as well. I make mine out of water soluable oil i get from napa auto supply. I mix 3 parts oil to 7 parts water. I sometimes add a bit of rubbing alcohol, the 91% stuff to it to help it evaporate if desired.

Michael

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I don't use the bore butter either. Lotta buildup with repeated shots. For 1 or 2 shots as in hunting, I usually just spit on the patch. For range time or events, I use a mixture of Murphy's oil and alcohol or Windex, depending on what I have on hand.

Murphy's oil is good stuff. Same thing that lubes also cleans up later.
    If you just spit on the patch, would/could it dry out before you fire? It could be hours before you actually take a shot. I could see it working at the range, because you are going to load and fire in a short amount of time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    If you just spit on the patch, would/could it dry out before you fire? It could be hours before you actually take a shot. I could see it working at the range, because you are going to load and fire in a short amount of time.
    IMHO -- what works best in shooting competition (e.g., many shots in a relative short time) and what works best hunting are two different things.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Try and see

What Dave said is true.

Yes, the patch sure can dry out. But I have not found that to be a problem. It is not a good idea to have too wet of a patch over time anyway, as some of the moisture will soak into the powder charge and could cause an issue.

There are differing opinons on what lube does. My take, lube helps me get the patch and ball down the barrel. The main charge will take care of getting in back out. Now some folks may feel that accuracy is affected by this. I've never felt I had an accuracy problem. The ball and patch combo is more important to accuracy, the tighter, the better IMHO. Try it a couple of different ways and see what works best for you.

On a side note, it is not uncommon that I leave a charge in the barrel for several weeks to a month during hunting season, only capping when actually in the field. When done hunting for the day, I'll wipe the bore with Windex, then an oil patch, then a dry one and store the rifle till my next hunting day. Just depends on if I get a shot at a deer. My rifle has never failed to fire, even after weeks of this treatment. If you choose to use the maxi hunter type bullets, they are self lubed, so it is really not an issue anyway.

Administrator
    Well, my hunt got squashed before it even began.

I collected all the junk I needed, except some #11's. I spent almost an entire day driving to store to store trying to get 'em, and came up empty handed. I should have just ordered some a few weeks ago.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Did you try Wally World? Our local Walmart carries #11 caps.
    183 FBINA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt View Post
    Did you try Wally World? Our local Walmart carries #11 caps.
    Yeah, I did. They typically do carry them, but all 4 that I went to were sold out. The clerks all told me that they havent been able to get them for weeks. I got the last bottle of powder on the shelves too.
    I guess that is what I get for waiting until the last minute.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links