Shooting With My Daughter Today

This is a discussion on Shooting With My Daughter Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I finally went to shoot my new Glock 27 today. I took my 16 year old daughter with me and it was her first ...

Thread: Shooting With My Daughter Today

Shooting With My Daughter Today

Well, I finally went to shoot my new Glock 27 today. I took my 16 year old daughter with me and it was her first time shooting. Except a pellet gun on our property.

My new Glock is awesome!!! man! it is so accurate I could not believe it. I was also worried that it wouldnt feel good while shooting but it feels great and shoots so sweet. I was able to hold a group at 30 yds 5 inches round with 27 rounds. I swear at 30 yds I could put bullets through the same hole I already did. I thought I was a good shot with my P85 Ruger but I shot it right after shooting the glock and found out how hard I had to try to be a good shot. Anyways shooting that Glock 27 made me glad I spent the money it is sweeeeet!

Now about my daughter:
    This was her first time at a range shooting anything but a pellet gun. I rented a 22 semi auto at the range and started her with that. I went over all of the safety requirements of handling a gun, loading and what to do if a round fails. I set the target at about 10yds and she put her first 10 shots COM inside the circle. She immediately wanted to move the target farther back. She still did good and followed all of the safety lessons she was given, kept her finger away from the trigger until she was ready to fire. Then a shell missfired. She stood still and I told her to remember what I had said about that. She cleared it and went on shooting. I then asked her if she wanted to shoot the Ruger P85. She was scared but did it and ended up running about 60+ rounds through it and 50 rounds through the 22. Then I asked if she wanted to shoot the Glock and no hesitation she did. She ran about four rounds and decided it was a bit too powerful for her. On the last shot the slide bit her hand as she must have been holding it a bit high. No blood though she was fine and said give me the 9mm I like the way it looks - she likes stainless steel.

Anyways I have rambled on enough "It was a good day" and life doesn't get much better. Now if I could only get my wife to go with me. I overheard my daughter talking on the phone to her boyfriend after we got home all proud telling him how she shot the Glock, the P85 and this little 22.

Thanks for listening........................................r eading or whatever
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like fun and a good day i do know that the small glocks are good for getting people hands with slides becuse they wanna choke up on it so much at least she wasnt hunt

Hey - Great day with daughter! Congrats! 16 year-olds are so sweet, and easy to "lose track of" as boys, etc. attract their attention - shooting can help you "stay in touch" with her! Pretty neat!

Assistant Administrator
    Taking your daughter shooting reminds me off my step daughter at about same age. In fact both my own kids I started very early.

That's good and pays dividends - a satisfying session for you that's for sure
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Rugerman

Congrats to you and your daughter on a successful & fun shooting session. Glad that you had fun.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like a good time. I take my 9 and 11 year old girls shooting when I go. Now they are asking when can they go hunting with me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    some of the best times I have had with my daughter were while we were shooting. You get to really talk and it's a time of trust.
    My wife would always ask "how did I know that" about my girl.
    Now my "little girl" is about to present me with my first granddaughter. Think it's time to find a nice .22

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Congrats , sounds like your starting her off right , I've been shooting with my son since he was 13 , And for his 17th birthday , He became the proud owner of A smith and wesson 1911.

She woke up this morning and asked when could we go again. I wanna shoot again dad. Cool
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Met my wife at a Rod and Gun Club and later our two kids (son and daughter) learned how to shoot from both of us. We go to our private range several times a month now. When our kids were young they helped out around the gun club and later started shooting matches. Now they are both adults and we have one grandkid. They still love shooting. And it looks like the granddaughter is going to be my new shooting pal. So have fun with your daughter at the range, go a much as you can no matter what you have going on. It will pay off in the long run.

frankmako

What a great bonding expierience! I'm sure that the memory of her first time at the range with her dad is an event that she will never forget!

Besides, too, we can use all the females of every age appreciating our sport and support of the 2A that we can get!

Love the P85!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Great job Rugerman! I can't wait until my sons are old enough to go shooting with mom and dad! There's nothing better than being able to head out to the range with the family for some safe shooting fun!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Doesn't get any better than that, does it. You both get some good bonding time and also get her interested in guns and teach her gun safety.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerman
    She woke up this morning and asked when could we go again. I wanna shoot again dad. Cool

Excellent that is very cool

Links