LE carry as seen on tv

This is a discussion on LE carry as seen on tv within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iīve been watching HBOīs amazing series The Wire lately, and thereīs one thing bugging me about it... I know itīs an extremely realistic show, so ...

Thread: LE carry as seen on tv

LE carry as seen on tv

Iīve been watching HBOīs amazing series The Wire lately, and thereīs one thing bugging me about it...

I know itīs an extremely realistic show, so Iīm wondering if itīs an accurate portrayal of the way Baltimore cops carry.

Characters are shown OCing in very obvious OWB holsters, even off duty, or when working plainclothes, or in many other situations where it really doesnīt seem like a good idea to be attracting that sort of attention.

Also, some of the characters go to bars and get drunk while OCing. And I donīt mean they do it once in a while, or that they have a couple of beers. They go to a bar and get utterly hammered, often in front of superiors, and a few times they even draw their guns and fool around with them! And no one seems to mind one bit!

I realise that LEOs often arenīt as disciplined as they should when it comes to guns, but this show takes it too far... Is that sort of behaviour really acceptable in the Baltimore PD, or anywhere else for that matter?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "as seen on tv" that should pretty much answer your question.

Fictional TV shows are not educational. They are for entertainment only.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    It's TV and meant for entertainment only. Take it for that and don't try and think of "real people" acting like they show on TV. Even "reality" programs are fake and staged for entertainment purposes.

It's tv.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Nope.

B-More detectives aka 'Jakes' do not walk around as such.
    As noted above, it's a product of Hollywood.

An excellent series though The Wire was.
    I was disappointed to see it end.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I think The Wire was the BEST cop drama ever... I have the entire show on DVD...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    "as seen on tv" that should pretty much answer your question.

Fictional TV shows are not educational. They are for entertainment only.

All too often people confuse TV cops and their behavior with everyday police officers. Sometimes it seems that Hollywood has an agenda to do just that. We need to distinguish one from the other and not confuse the two.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I've never seen the show, but place your money on it's for entertainment purposes only. Most real cops rarely watch such shows. They are insulting. Like I doubt real doctors watch the medical drama shows.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Links