Inexpensive Shotguns

Inexpensive Shotguns

This is a discussion on Inexpensive Shotguns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on another thread, and was talking about inexpensive shotguns. I didn't want to steal the thread. So here goes. If this exists already ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inexpensive Shotguns

I was on another thread, and was talking about inexpensive shotguns. I didn't want to steal the thread. So here goes. If this exists already MODS PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I am looking for an inexpensive shotgun to add to my home defense plan/plinking/starting trap/etc. I have a NEF Pardner for HD. I want to build a good high grade gun for duty. 870, 590, Nova Tac etc. Here is an idea of what I have been looking at, please add some others or your opinions on the listed.

Maverick 88
    NEF w/ wood stock and longer barrel
    IAC tactical (its an 870 copy)
    Used 500/590

any other suggestions, looking for about $250 and lower.

Thanks all

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

How about a good, used 870 Wingmaster police? Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga 12 gauge POLICE : Pump at GunBroker.com
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Hit your local pawn shops, find an older gun, and make it tacticool. That is what I did, and bought some krylon & accessories, sanded it down, painted it and added accessories, next thing you know, it is sweet, here is my 870 HD:

For $250, it'll be hard to find anything other than a Maverick or 500. I would also look into a good 870, or Win 1400 or something and fix it up to your liking. Just make sure the barrel is in good shape and there is no pitting or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by LethalStang View Post
    For $250, it'll be hard to find anything other than a Maverick or 500. I would also look into a good 870, or Win 1400 or something and fix it up to your liking. Just make sure the barrel is in good shape and there is no pitting or anything.
    Not true in my area, unless you are looking for a nice condition gun, if you are looking for functional, maybe with wear and tear, you can get one for around $150...

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I bought a Remington 870 20 gauge for $80.00. This was a long time ago I remember by a sears bolt action 16 gauge for fifty bucks and a 12 gauge for
    $45.00 both stocks were in rough shape so I got the stripper out and away we
    went.The stocks were still very dull so I took the torch and just let the flame touch the stock for a minute then finished it with a satin varnish.Pawn shop guy was real happy with the way the shotguns looked and asked me if I want to buy some more and decide to return them on a trade.I ended up traded them even
    for an enfield 30/06,we were both happy with the trade so all goes that ends well.

Thats what I want is functional. It don't have to be pretty, my dad is a wood worker/carpenter enjoys doing refininshing and the such so old beat up stocks are ok. I need to find out for sure but if anyone knows for sure, i think in PA possesion is ownership when it comes to long guns so I can buy them at yard sales and auctions and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BukWild View Post
    Hit your local pawn shops, find an older gun, and make it tacticool. That is what I did, and bought some krylon & accessories, sanded it down, painted it and added accessories, next thing you know, it is sweet, here is my 870 HD:
    Can we get that word officially banned, please?
    Sorry Buk, but that sounded like a tired cliche to me the very first time I heard it.

Harrington & Richardson makes some pump guns in the $250-300 range. Single shots go for $150 (roughly).
    Or you might find a nice 870 at your local pawn shop for that price. Sometimes the news paper classifieds have something, but be sure to call the morning it's printed. Those tend to go fast if the price is good.

Definatly check out pawn shops and auctions. Heck I've seen some good deals at garage sales. Also IIRC Mossberg made some 500's for sears under their brand name. Not to mention I've seen some 878's and 11-48's going in the $200-$300 range at pawn shops. They may not be as glitzy as the 1100 or 11-87 but they'll get the job done. High Standard made some pumps worth looking at too.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

I have a century arms Ultra 87 which I'm sure is the same as the IAC tactical you mentioned. It's made by Norinco based on the 870. I've shot a few shells through it and fully disassembled it and so far I feel confident in it as a home defense shotgun. It was about $200 when i got it. Hoever for about $300 you can get a good Mossberg riot shotgun.

Just get the Maverick 88, and then buy some other choke tubes. It will then serve you well for keeping the zombies off your front porch or putting dinner on the table.

However, if you are left-hanned, go with the Mossberg 500 - the safety is in a much better position for a lefty.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I do have to say, zombies are terrible this time of year in my parts. I thought about a Mav a while back too, a friend of mine has a norinco (i think) with the bayonet on it that is a replica/knock off of the trench shotgun, it fires if you hold the trigger and pump, I think it is a winchester design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Can we get that word officially banned, please?
    Sorry Buk, but that sounded like a tired cliche to me the very first time I heard it.
    LOL, it was sarcasm my friend, I don't like it either, just saying that he could add whatever accessories he wanted!

Ok lets have a sub question, I know that the nef pardner exchanges parts with the 870. The Mav takes 500 parts, what are the other cheap guns that take main stream parts? Anyone?

You can get a Charles Daly at Wally World for around $300, and it is a semi-auto, I have had one for about 5 years and has killed everything from Squirrell to Whitetail deer, along with dove and Geese.They use some remington parts such as the choke tubes and such. Great guns for the money.Im sure this would do a great job for home defense as well.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links