44 mag vs 357 mag comparison / questions

This is a discussion on 44 mag vs 357 mag comparison / questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, in a thread on here, discussing a .44 vs a .357 on an unwelcome bear attack, I spoke in favor of the .44 mag. ...

Thread: 44 mag vs 357 mag comparison / questions

Ok, in a thread on here, discussing a .44 vs a .357 on an unwelcome bear attack, I spoke in favor of the .44 mag. Some brought up the 454 casull, 460, .50 cal, etc.

Just in .44 vs .357, I find I might be wrong and would like input on a comparison ... pro's / con's ... of those 2 calibers and ammos. I almost bought a .44 cal rifle today, but got looking at ballistics and question any advantage now.

In terms of "fps" and "energy", and stock ammo, given chosing the right ammo the .357 has equivalent and even better fps, and a higher "energy" than the .44. One advantage stated was the .357 might keep going whereas the .44 will slow down quicker once it hits the target. I'm not sure that's an advantage when shooting at a bear.

The other obvious one is the size of the .44 , but even that can be equaled in cases. So, what is the pro's and con's of a .44 over a .357. I am now requestioning what I thought.
    Last edited by Eagleks; January 3rd, 2010 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    In terms of "fps" and "energy", and stock ammo, given chosing the right ammo the .357 has equivalent and even better fps, and a higher "energy" than the .44. One advantage stated was the .357 might keep going whereas the .44 will slow down quicker once it hits the target. I'm not sure that's an advantage when shooting at a bear.
    You could not possibly have been comparing .357 magnum and .44 magnum loads... a basic 158 gr .357 magnum runs around 535 foot-pounds of muzzle energy, and a 240 gr .44 mag is around 740 ft-lb. Were you possibly looking at data for the .44 special, which runs around 310 ft-lb? (All are typical data for pistol-length barrels.)

Simply put, a bigger caliber will make a bigger hole. For two bullets with the same construction and on-target energy, the bigger one will probably not penetrate as far due to greater frontal area. Whether that's of value to you is something only you can decide, depending on the circumstances.

For me, given the choice of hunting bear or protecting my hide from one, I'll take a .44 mag over a .357 mag any day!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    .44 mag without a doubt, for bear. I have both and use the .357 only on deer and where I hunt in Tx, the deer aren't very big... I use the .44 mag for hogs in the brush. Buffalo bore makes some 300gr hunting loads that are great...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ok, in a thread on here, discussing a .44 vs a .357 on an unwelcome bear attack, I spoke in favor of the .44 mag.

Just in .44 vs .357, I find I might be wrong and would like input on a comparison ... pro's / con's ...
    For an idea of what .44 magnum can do, check the Buffalo Bore line of ammunition. They generally crank up the load and the bullet weight. Buffalo Bore's .44mag options are far hotter than you typically find other manufacturers creating. In my experience, a BB .44mag is to a "normal" .44mag as 7mm mag is to .44 spcl.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The 44 mag is much more powerfull than the 357 Mag. When reviewing ballistics for a carbine do not use revolver data. The length of barrel and more importantly, vented barrel will effect velocity/energy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links