.357 mag or .45 ACP - Page 2

.357 mag or .45 ACP

This is a discussion on .357 mag or .45 ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I EDC a subcompact 1911 in 45 but I am a great believer that every man (and/or woman) needs at least one Revolver in his/her ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I EDC a subcompact 1911 in 45 but I am a great believer that every man (and/or woman) needs at least one Revolver in his/her assortment and the .357 Magnum would be the first one if only one can be chosen. Versatile and many different rounds from low powered .38 on up to screaming hot rod .357 choices can be put through the same gun. No brainer really. Since I do not concealed carry mine I prefer a 4 or 6" barrel.

there both power houses, get whatever fits your hand the best. I carry a 3" .357 sp101, after taking off the crap stock grip and putting on a hogue monogrip it fits my hand like a glove and it's easy to conceal. I hike a lot and load it with 180gr lead flat nose buffalo bore rounds.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

45ACP, but train with it.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    I would add that muzzle blast/flash from a snubbie 357 is horrific. 357 and 45 guns are bigger than most peeps will EDC. To me; 357 if you are also a hunter, 45 if you are not.
    I've yet to experience this. It must come down to choice of ammo. I carry/shoot 125 gr Mag-Tech Guardian Gold and 135 gr Gold Dots in my snub 357.

I would go with the 45, especially if its a Commander. Even better is a commander slide on an officer frame. I have one and it is a very potent package and very easily concealable. Oddly enough, I carry 357 more, now that I think about it. In fact, I'm pretty sure that my next carry gun is going to be a 4" 627 Tracker, ported in 357. Full house magnum loads feel like 38s and 38+p like 22s in my 6" 689. Porting makes for some very quick follow up shots in a carry revolver.

So aah...in sum, either one will be a great pick.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    I would add that muzzle blast/flash from a snubbie 357 is horrific.
    Only if you see it. Very rarely do I ever see any muzzle flash from my .
    357 or my.44 Magnum. If you look at the end of the barrel when you fire, sure you might see it. I rarely do. When I practice at the range, once I have my sights aligned and pull the trigger, I'm looking up at the target, as(hopefully) one would do if they were firing at an attacker, who most likely is moving.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Currently the largest caliber I carry is a .9mm. I'm itching to get another carry gun and want to get a more powerful one. I keep going back and for between getting a .357 snubbie or a compact 1911 style .45. I don't own a revolver and I like the simplicity along with the versatility of .357 or .38 special. I love the way 1911s look and I like the Single Action trigger (current autos are DAO). Eventually I want to get both but that is down the road.

So what are your opinions as to carrying a .357 snubbie or a compact .45?
    Not all semi autos are DAO, Bersa makes a fine DA/SA 45 in their 45 UC, and not at all hard to carry and conceal, very accurate and reliable in my opinion.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I have shot both calibers. There is a huge difference between them regardless of the mathematical energy calculations. The .357 will outperform the .45 from the same bbl length. The .45 carries more rounds, but if you hit your target with the .357 you won't need them. With the .45 you may still need the extras even if you hit POA.

So, choosing between the 2, I'd vote for a Ruger SP 101 in the 3 1/8" bbl length. Get the .357 version instead of the .38. You may only shoot .38's but the option of going with the bigger round is still there with the .357. The .38 is limited. I carry Corbon DPX in .357 in mine and shoot .357's for practice along with .38's.

The SP 101 is flat, compact, fairly light and stainless steel. Get the Hogue aftermarket grips for it as they make the gun easier to shoot. Also, change the springs with a wolfe spring kit to lower power hammer/trigger springs and do the "Iowegian Book of Knowledge" fluff & buff and trigger job. You will be IMPRESSED.

Only one drawback and that's finding a quality leather IWB holster for one. You can choose between DAO revolver or SA/DA. The DAO has a bobbed hammer spur and no full-cock notch. You can always bob the hammer spur on the SA-DA version if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by rednecksport View Post
    Not all semi autos are DAO, Bersa makes a fine DA/SA 45 in their 45 UC, and not at all hard to carry and conceal, very accurate and reliable in my opinion.
    I think the man was saying that all of HIS autoloaders are DAO. MY HK is an SA/DA also.

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    IMHO a snubbie doesn't have enough barrel length to see any advantage to the .357 over the .38+p loads. I'd save a few bucks and get a .38.
    My chronograph doesn't agree with you. I know a lot of SD short barrel rounds travel at a mild velocity, but that is to manage recoil and muzzle flash. My testing is showing that you don't give up but about 100 fps to 150 fps when you go from a 4 inch barrel to a 2 inch barrel. I am seeing that if you want to you can send 357 mag rounds down range quite impressively with a snub nose 357 mag. I also have not notice any difference in price when buying the same gun in 38 spl compared to 357 mag, the only manufacture that I can think of that make the same gun and gives you a choice in caliber between 38 spl and 357 mag is Ruger SP. The only new 38 spl I have noticed for sale are snubies. I am sure someone still makes a 4 inch or 6 inch 38 spl, I haven't saw one though.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    Go with whatever you shoot better. Try as many pistols in both calibers as you can to help you better decide
    That's the best advice you can get, right there.

I've speed shot all of my guns, the BEST is a 7 shot - .357 revolver as far as accuracy, speed, etc. But, that's me... not necessarily anyone else. But, guess which one I carry more now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    My chronograph doesn't agree with you. I know a lot of SD short barrel rounds travel at a mild velocity, but that is to manage recoil and muzzle flash. My testing is showing that you don't give up but about 100 fps to 150 fps when you go from a 4 inch barrel to a 2 inch barrel. I am seeing that if you want to you can send 357 mag rounds down range quite impressively with a snub nose 357 mag. I also have not notice any difference in price when buying the same gun in 38 spl compared to 357 mag, the only manufacture that I can think of that make the same gun and gives you a choice in caliber between 38 spl and 357 mag is Ruger SP. The only new 38 spl I have noticed for sale are snubies. I am sure someone still makes a 4 inch or 6 inch 38 spl, I haven't saw one though.
    Very interesting. Are you useing factory loads or hand squeezed? I have seen buffalo bore makes some loadings especialy aimed at shorter barrels by useing faster powders.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    Very interesting. Are you useing factory loads or hand squeezed? I have seen buffalo bore makes some loadings especialy aimed at shorter barrels by useing faster powders.
    I mostly handload, but I do shoot some factory ammo but, not high $$ SD rounds mostly stuff I buy for the brass. But when I load SD rounds I don't go with high velocity. I go with just enough velocity to get the bullet to expand. That is much easier to accomplish with 357 mag than 38 spl.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks for all the great input. I think I'm leaning towards gettig a .357. Sounds like there is a good concensus on the ruger sp101

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    That's the best advice you can get, right there.

I've speed shot all of my guns, the BEST is a 7 shot - .357 revolver as far as accuracy, speed, etc. But, that's me... not necessarily anyone else. But, guess which one I carry more now.
    yeah i like my .357 sadly ruger doesn't make anything more than a 6 shot for .357, that i know of, and as far as the size of the sp101 i'll stick with my security six which in size to me isn't all that much bigger but i get 1 more round. thinking about getting a 3" gp100 though :-D

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    ... I'm itching to get another carry gun and want to get a more powerful one. ...
    Why? If this is for defensive purposes, well, like Frank Zappa said, regarding that certain part of a woman's body, "anything over a mouthfull is wasted!" Adding more flash bang and recoil won't make an assailant any deadder. So I think the .38 special and the 9mm, and the +P variants of both, are the ideal defensive rounds (that, of course, assumes you're capable of putting the bullet where you think it should go. If not, you may as well have a .22). Both the .38 and 9mm have enough kinetic energy at fifty yards to crush human bone - that's good enough for normal defensive range.

But as to your specific questions: a .357 snubby is pretty hard to control, even if it's all steel. If you need to make a second shot, you won't have time to do target re-acquisition. And it will hurt your hand to shoot it.

A .45 is a big heavy bullet that has more than adequate penetration, but a very steep trajectory. If your target is moving toward or away, you'll need to consult trajectory tables to compensate for elevation, unless you're very skilled.

Of the two, I'd take the .357, but not in anything less than a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100, and not with less than a four inch barrel.

Why don't you get a nice S&W model 64? There are lots of them available for cheap because of PD, prison, and security service trade ins. A nice, stainless, .38 six-shooter, with a heavy 4" barrel and combat sights, they're available for around $300.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links