.357 mag or .45 ACP - Page 3

.357 mag or .45 ACP

This is a discussion on .357 mag or .45 ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by user Why? If this is for defensive purposes, well, like Frank Zappa said, regarding that certain part of a woman's body, "anything ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Why? If this is for defensive purposes, well, like Frank Zappa said, regarding that certain part of a woman's body, "anything over a mouthfull is wasted!" Adding more flash bang and recoil won't make an assailant any deadder. So I think the .38 special and the 9mm, and the +P variants of both, are the ideal defensive rounds (that, of course, assumes you're capable of putting the bullet where you think it should go. If not, you may as well have a .22). Both the .38 and 9mm have enough kinetic energy at fifty yards to crush human bone - that's good enough for normal defensive range.

But as to your specific questions: a .357 snubby is pretty hard for some people
    to control, even if it's all steel. If you need to make a second shot, you won't have time to do target re-acquisition, if you aren't a good shot. And it will hurt your hand to shoot it, if you shoot 1000 rounds per day.

A .45 is a big heavy bullet that has more than adequate penetration, but a very steep trajectory. If your target is moving toward or away, you'll need to consult trajectory tables to compensate for elevation, unless you're very skilled.

Of the two, I'd take the .357, but not in anything less than a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100, and not with less than a four inch barrel.

Why don't you get a nice S&W model 64? There are lots of them available for cheap because of PD, prison, and security service trade ins. A nice, stainless, .38 six-shooter, with a heavy 4" barrel and combat sights, they're available for around $300.
    There I fixed that for you
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

......Oh, the power of the keyboard.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

110Gn cor bon 2in 929 FPS/4in 1286 FPS
    125GN'''''''''''''''''''''' 904 FPS/""" 1496 FPS ALL .357 MAGNUM
    158GN"""""""""""""914 FPS/""" 1332 FPS
    ()
    Someone Said you don't gain that much from 2 to 4 in BARREL
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    A .45 is a big heavy bullet that has more than adequate penetration, but a very steep trajectory. If your target is moving toward or away, you'll need to consult trajectory tables to compensate for elevation, unless you're very skilled.
    the difference in a .45 230g slug out of a 4" barrel at 7 yards (21 feet) and 15 yards (45 feet) is less then 2 inches so unless you are defending yourself against advancing leprechauns I'd venture to say that the trajectory table isn't going to matter as much in a defensive situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Sounds like there is a good concensus on the ruger sp101
    Take a look around and see if you like Smith & Wesson's J-frames as well. They look a tad better, and are lighter weight. The downside to them is they cost more, and the lighter weight that makes it more enjoyable to carry also makes it a touch sharper to shoot. With all of that said, yes, I would still probably end up with the sp101.
    Beretta 92FS

Quote Originally Posted by Tros View Post
    Take a look around and see if you like Smith & Wesson's J-frames as well. They look a tad better, and are lighter weight. The downside to them is they cost more, and the lighter weight that makes it more enjoyable to carry also makes it a touch sharper to shoot. With all of that said, yes, I would still probably end up with the sp101.
    I did the "looking" when I was deciding on what .357 to buy. I looked at J-frames and love them for their looks. I didn't buy one though.

Instead I bought the SP 101. The S&W (and I luv my S&W's) is too light in the frame for heavy or full-time use of SAMII spec .357 rounds. The S&W frame stretches under this use and the Ruger shrugs it off. Plus the blue tends to rust fast under clothes while the SS doesn't seem to care.

Also, I could have bought a GP 100 but chose the smaller SP 101. One more round at the expense of 1" more bbl length and being much harder to conceal in office-wear clothes or not able to buy a good concealed holster killed the reason to go to the larger weapon. The smaller SP conceals better and has accessories on the market to make it better than the GP for my intended purposes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    45ACP, but train with it.
    YUP! A 1911 is an outstanding combat weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

For any who have not experienced it, I suggest that you find a SAFE enclosed area to fire your 357 snubbie in low/limited light..........you will feel the thump of the concussion, be deafened by the noise and blinded by the muzzle flash....try it but wear good ear protection. In fact, you should fire any defensive gun in this fashion, why you may ask? Most shoots occur in low/limited light, at short range, often inside a building. Shooting a gun inside of an enclosed area like a room or car is VERY Different than day fire on an open range.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    For any who have not experienced it, I suggest that you find a SAFE enclosed area to fire your 357 snubbie in low/limited light..........you will feel the thump of the concussion, be deafened by the noise and blinded by the muzzle flash....try it but wear good ear protection. In fact, you should fire any defensive gun in this fashion, why you may ask? Most shoots occur in low/limited light, at short range, often inside a building. Shooting a gun inside of an enclosed area like a room or car is VERY Different than day fire on an open range.
    I do not agree with this. Not at all.

"Most shoots' occur when "most shoots' occur. Time of day or lighting isn't part of the equation except to say that predators tend to prefer low light areas. However, that doesn't make it an "universal truth" to the point of saying that this is the case "most of the time." There are plenty of full daylight incidents to back this up.

Further, in self defense situations I want to do whatever it takes to be POSITIVE of my target before I pull the trigger. So, I'm going to light up my "attacker" if possible by turning on lights, using a flashlight, or running into a lit area. I DO NOT EVER shoot in the dark at an unidentifiable target. Nor should you.

Shooting in low light situations is tough REGARDLESS of what weapon is being used. My 3" bbl S&W 9mm has a pretty good muzzle flame. It's not as bright as my SP 101 but it WILL affect my night vision just as much in the dark. The answer is point shooting practice and hitting your identified target with the first shot instead of spray and pray.

Remember, we stop the THREAT. We don't just shoot everything in sight and keep on shooting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links