.45gap ? - Page 2

.45gap ?

This is a discussion on .45gap ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jwhite75 It is a 9mm/40 frame. But more than just a barrel drop in (other than after market maybe). I could be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45gap ?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    It is a 9mm/40 frame.
    But more than just a barrel drop in (other than after market maybe).

I could be incorrect. I think it would require mags, barrel, and several other parts and basic smithing to properly convert to 9mm / 40....and then you would have the slide still marked .45 GAP.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    But more than just a barrel drop in (other than after market maybe).

I could be incorrect. I think it would require mags, barrel, and several other parts and basic smithing to properly convert to 9mm / 40....and then you would have the slide still marked .45 GAP.
    The G37, and G38 (45g.a.p.) models are the same dimensions as the 9mm, 40S&W, and 357sig models in the full size and compact. I agree, converting one 45g.a.p. Glock into another of the smaller calibers is not going to be cost effective. Besides changing magazines, barrels, and ejectors....I would think you'd need a new slide as well. Many factors would influence me away from buying a 45g.a.p. Glock even though it's a Glock.

Ten years later it will be......45GAP, yeah, I remember them, barely, good luck on finding ammo.

The GAP is a neat concept but just didn't take on well enough. .45 ACP ballistics from a 9mm frame weapon. Great idea, but the public and law enforcement wasn't sold on it. I think it will remain a niche cartridge like the 10mm and 357 SIG.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's a round that was developed for law enforcement.Who else could get a company to build a pistol(glock) for that ******* round .My son-n-law
    bought one he was real sorry as when he found ammo it was so expensive
    he could barely shoot it.Unfortunately for him some doper broke in his apartment
    and stole his guns ! Of course they took only the best ones and left the junk.
    They were traded or sold for drugs.When he got to replace his losses he took to heart what everyone told him buy a 45 acp that way ammo available and affordable!I almost fell over he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The GAP is a neat concept but just didn't take on well enough. .45 ACP ballistics from a 9mm frame weapon. Great idea, but the public and law enforcement wasn't sold on it. I think it will remain a niche cartridge like the 10mm and 357 SIG.
    I think it will be worse than the 10MM. The early 10MM guns bring a pretty decent price. In some cases more than they cost new. The 10MM has been around for over twenty years and you can still buy new guns and ammo. The 10MM guns were models that you could reload ammo for. Buying a Glock that you suspect that your only reliable source of ammo is your loading bench is kinda scary. I would rather have a couple of good Bren Ten mags than Microsoft stock.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I was being nice.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I Had a GAP

I just traded + cash from a Glock 37, the duty size 45Gap to Glock 36 45acp. The 37 is duty gun for NY State Police as well as some others.
    An off-duty trooper had just been issued it, loved it so much he wanted others to know and asked would I like to shoot his. I shot it. Hours later I bought one. Absolutely great gun and great round - same power as 45acp, less recoil, incredibly accurate, great shooting experience. Proved so far in action in one case here, by female State Trooper, who took a BG out about to shoot her, with one center round to chest - out for good.

So, why I'd trade for a gun I like slightly less? Too expensive a round after awhile, the GAP, and I don't reload - nor are store-offered reloads available often.

Aside from that, I miss it and wish I still had it. I hear the smaller ones are a real shooting and SD joy for those who own. If you can get reasonable ammo, or your reload, I'd go for it. The round will be around a long time, cops use it - though as a specialty round. If it dies eventually it will likely not be before you'd be shopping for a new Glock anyway if that does happen some day. If you are sensitive to ammo costs, then go with a 45acp, the Glock 30 or single-stack 36 are very good compacts, though the 36, including mine, has had some problems. Glock just returned mine after warranty repairs, which essentially was a re-built gun, I think SOP for any repair. Seems OK now, hope it continues. The 37 gave me no problems of any kind ever, not one problem with one shot in two years of a lot of rounds.

GM
    I have wondered many times why does the .45 GAP exist
    Last edited by GM; January 31st, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links