Opinions about the Ruger SR-556?

This is a discussion on Opinions about the Ruger SR-556? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR-556? What opinions does everyone have about them? I have been looking at them online and think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions about the Ruger SR-556?

Opinions about the Ruger SR-556?

Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR-556? What opinions does everyone have about them? I have been looking at them online and think I would like to have one, but I just wanted to get some opinions about them first.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR-556? What opinions does everyone have about them? I have been looking at them online and think I would like to have one, but I just wanted to get some opinions about them first.
    I got a change to lay my hands on one my neighbor has. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet by my initial impressions were that it was heavy...very heavy. He hadn't done anything do it but pull it out of the box and i thought it weighted a ton. He has had the change to shoot it and said that he loves it and he's had a crapload of AR's. I thought the rails and stock all of that was great. He said so far he hasn't had any issues with it. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend and letcha know. Just my $.02.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by chrise2004 View Post
    I got a change to lay my hands on one my neighbor has. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet by my initial impressions were that it was heavy...very heavy. He hadn't done anything do it but pull it out of the box and i thought it weighted a ton. He has had the change to shoot it and said that he loves it and he's had a crapload of AR's. I thought the rails and stock all of that was great. He said so far he hasn't had any issues with it. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it this weekend and letcha know. Just my $.02.
    have any idea what he gave for it? I see them listed on the Ruger site for $1,995, but that's thier suggested price.

have any idea what he gave for it? I see them listed on the Ruger site for $1,995, but that's thier suggested price.
    $1580 or somewhere right around there.

then he put an ACOG on it...and i became envious....
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

It is really front heavy. All the rails might look pretty, but they really throw the balance of the rifle off.

If you want a piston AR, there are lots of better options. The new Sig 516 has a lower MSRP and might be a better choice.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

"Small Arms Review" has a review of it this month. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

The 556 is nice, but I'm going to hold out for the 516. It's Sig's version of an AR-15. American Rifleman had a nice write up on them and have a MSRP of ~$1300. I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm saving my pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dean View Post
    The 556 is nice, but I'm going to hold out for the 516. It's Sig's version of an AR-15. American Rifleman had a nice write up on them and have a MSRP of ~$1300. I haven't seen one available yet, but I'm saving my pennies.
    I didn't know that sig was coming out with a Piston AR. When will it come out?

I haven't heard anything definate. Double-check the article I linked to just in case I missed it.

I have an SR-556. I bought shortly after they started hitting the stores for about $1,550. It's a solid rifle. A little heavier in the front end as others have said. I'd take it all day long over a standard M4. Function has been flawless with standard AR15 mags, but the MagPuls just don't feel secure in the gun like a standard metal mag does. No issue since I have standard mags all over the place and that's what I use. I really like the gun and will be keeping it. If I had known last fall that Sig's 516 was on the way and their design, I would have probably held out for the Sig for one reason... The Sig appears to have a standard operating rod setup, one piece all the way back to the bolt carrier. Ruger's is chopped up into I think 3 pieces. Perfectly functional, I just prefer the tried single design.

Good rifle. Prefer it over the standard AR GI system. Shoots great. Quality firearm. But $1,900 is way over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    But $1,900 is way over priced.
    For any AR that's overpriced. $1000 is overpriced. does it really cost that much to make one on a CNC? I mean the bugs are long worked out of prodution of the design.

NO, but..........

Ruger SR-556 Autoloading Rifle.... it looks a little large for concealed carry!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Ruger SR-556

I am new to the forum but i was doing some research on the Ruger 556, I sell these and have a customer who has now returned 2 of these for replacement, He was noticing metal shaving on the bolt and charging tube, It was jamming alot is what he had been telling me so i have order another replacement Firearm for him and he is on his way to pick this one up and exchange for the other, 2 times now for the same reason, I know there is a breakin period on these since Ruger specs are tight, but then I was asking what shells he was working with and he was using some forigne brand ammo that I am not familar with, So far as I have been doing alot of reading and asking Ruger what the problem could be and still have no answer . Burs in the charging tube and on bolt maybe, Have not a clue on this and neither does Ruger, Anyone have a problem with this Rifle and if so please let me know so I can talk with ruger at the Shot Show In Vegas. Thanks Group LB

Ruger SR556 is an excellent AR only cons is that some of them had the Bolt Carrier rubbing inside the walls of the buffer tube , other then that its a great gun and yes its alittle overpriced but i rather have the SR 556 then a SIG556.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
    I am new to the forum but i was doing some research on the Ruger 556, I sell these and have a customer who has now returned 2 of these for replacement, He was noticing metal shaving on the bolt and charging tube, It was jamming alot is what he had been telling me so i have order another replacement Firearm for him and he is on his way to pick this one up and exchange for the other, 2 times now for the same reason, I know there is a breakin period on these since Ruger specs are tight, but then I was asking what shells he was working with and he was using some forigne brand ammo that I am not familar with, So far as I have been doing alot of reading and asking Ruger what the problem could be and still have no answer . Burs in the charging tube and on bolt maybe, Have not a clue on this and neither does Ruger, Anyone have a problem with this Rifle and if so please let me know so I can talk with ruger at the Shot Show In Vegas. Thanks Group LB

He might be using steel cased cartridges which are causing his problems.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links