Should I buy it?

Should I buy it?

This is a discussion on Should I buy it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I walked into my local gun-store yesterday, went in to buy some .45 acp. Remington Golden Sabers(which they did not have in stock) . I ...

Thread: Should I buy it?

Should I buy it?

I walked into my local gun-store yesterday, went in to buy some .45 acp. Remington Golden Sabers(which they did not have in stock) . I took my 13 year old along with me . He walked over to where the AR's were and asked for me to come over to look at a rifle. It is an Olympic arms 223/5.56 Plinker 16" with a heavy barrel 1x9 twist ratio for $625.

I picked it up, seemed like a fairly decent ar....I placed it on layaway and came home and started looking it up on the internet hoping to find more info on the quality of the Plinker. Needless to say, the reviews I have read were not positve.

The serial number starts with a wz and it has a date of 2009 on the lower. My questions are...is this AR considered a plinker plus? The reason I ask is some have forged receivers and others are cast. Would you trust this model to be just a range gun or is it viable for home defense duties?

I am on a limited budget and would buy a top shelf AR if I could...I do not plan on using it for a zombie apocalypse or tactical rifle classes. I just want to get a decent affordable weapon.

I was in the army during the early 90's and have experience with M16 A1 and A2's....I know comparing the Plinker to those weapons is like comparing apples to oranges. The Plinker reminded me of my old A1...
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I would say it sounds like a decent deal, especially if it is new.

I too have heard mixed reviews about Olympic Arms, but I honestly believe that any weapon that you are confident and competent with is a solid option for home/self defense.

Will it kill squirrels, tin cans and little targets like no ones business? probably.
    Will it be a sub-MOA sniper rifle? Probably not.

If you want one and thats what you can afford, snag it up. However, If you could afford another $100-$150, you could probably get a better new gun or a much better used gun.

Good luck

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    It's an old saying, but I find it to be true most times...

"The sweetness of a low price doesn't equal the bitterness of poor quality..."

I'm not saying it's a bad rifle... I don't have a clue... but I find that by paying a little more and buying quality, I'm almost always happier... YMMV.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

For the money, its hard to beat. You could easily be paying twice that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

Well the fact that you are questioning it should be enough answer....Youreally dont hear many folks on here bragging about their GREAT OLYMPIC ARMS!!! Look around youshould be able to step up in quality considerably for not much more money. "buy quality and only buy once"
    Just a few examples...

DPMS sportical 223 AR-15 NIB AR15 BUY NOW 4 mags : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

COLT AR-15 A2 GOV'T CARBINE PRE-BAN semi auto : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well the fact that you are questioning it should be enough answer....Youreally dont hear many folks on here bragging about their GREAT OLYMPIC ARMS!!! Look around youshould be able to step up in quality considerably for not much more money. "buy quality and only buy once"
    Just a few examples...

DPMS sportical 223 AR-15 NIB AR15 BUY NOW 4 mags : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

COLT AR-15 A2 GOV'T CARBINE PRE-BAN semi auto : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Definitely this. I would suggest going with a better product too, was just trying to make you feel good about it possibly buying it. Would i turn one down, no, but if i had the option of upgrading i would do that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If you are living your life worried about being a victim all the time and not enjoying life to the fullest, you are already a victim...
    -You don't know what you don't see-

1*

NRA Member

I once had an Olympic arms lower and the trigger pin wasn't in the right spot. It was off about 1mm and I had to grind the claw a little bit. After that, it fired very well, but I didn't like having bare metal in my gun.
    I do a lot of outdoor hiking in the mountains with my AR, so rust was a consideration.

I mothballed the OLY AR lower and bought a RRA lower.

Im not saying your OLY will have the same problem mine did ofcourse.

Links