Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.! - Page 2

Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.!

This is a discussion on Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; .327mag =.45gap Both answers to questions nobody asked....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger is introducing their Blackhawk and GP100 in .327 Fed. Mag.!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    .327mag =.45gap Both answers to questions nobody asked.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    .327mag =.45gap Both answers to questions nobody asked.
    Perhaps, but it can chamber .32 H&R Mag, which is a great cartridge. I see a .327 Blackhawk in my future, though it may never see any .327 ammunition.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    I can see the .327 as a carry gun where it gives you one more round in a compact revolver. That one extra round might save your life. With that said though, once you get to a full size hand gun I'd prefer a full size cartridge. It just won't out do any of its competitors in a full size gun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Itbeats the daylights out of the old .32-20 revolver; shootng a higher-pressure cartridge then the old .32-20 revolvers could ever DREAM of doing!

Threads about the 327 keep popping up, must be gaining ground. From what I have read I would get one if smith made one in scandium, snubby of course.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

The cartridge performs as well as the .30 Carbine, yet hits harder and is more accurate. You can say what you like, but the .327 Federal Magnum is here to stay.

I would go with the 357/38 instead of the 327 due to the availability of ammo & the versatility.

I have one in Sp101 that is 327. The 32 H&R was and is alone very underated.
    327 in 100 gr by fed is a great round . I don't feel under gunned by any means.
    Hey they all will kill with the right shot placement. Don't take me wrong I have and do like the 38/357 it is and always will be a great round. I got one in a marlin 1894cs that shoots like a dream... have had that rifle for more than 15 yrs..

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    ... I would get one if smith made one in scandium, snubby of course.
    The 100gr JSP and 115gr GoldDot have pretty hefty recoils in the heavy SP101. Scandium would be brutal.

I'm grateful that they've finally seen fit to produce some .327 Magnum revolvers with some barrel length on them rather than snubs only. Great for handloaders wanting to wring out the round. These two new offerings get my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    It beats the daylights out of the old .32-20 revolver; shooting a higher-pressure cartridge then the old .32-20 revolvers could ever DREAM of doing!

Oh, I don't know. Some of us can dream up some pretty potent .32-20 loads. I've been playing with .32-20 guns since the 1970s. How about 1341 fps with a Remington 100 grain jacketed soft point out of this 1930s vintage Smith & Wesson 4-inch Hand Ejector .32-20 revolver with a never-to-be-revealed-on-line handload using IMR 4227? It's found in old Lyman manuals. Pressures didn't seem so bad with normal extraction and reasonable looking primers.

Such loads could really gen up the velocities if fired from a similar late vintage S&W Hand Ejector, Colt Army Special, or Colt Official Police .32-20 (yep, they made a few OP revolvers in .32-20) factory equipped with a 6-inch barrel.

Realistically though, the .327 Magnum makes more sense for modern high velocity applications and for experimental handloading than does the ancient .32-20. By far the largest numbers of .32-20 chambered arms were produced prior to World War II. Gobs of those were 19th century arms with weak actions and primitive steels. Besides, crowd the tapered bottleneck .32-20 pressure-wise and it'll bind up a revolver.

I've retired my .32-20 rifle and revolver to more sedate handloads that mimic original factory ballistics. But I know they can "walk and talk" if called upon. The high velocity loads when used in the rifle excessively disassemble eatable game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    The 100gr JSP and 115gr GoldDot have pretty hefty recoils in the heavy SP101. Scandium would be brutal.
    Nothing is plesant out of a scandium, 38+p will put a hurt on ya..but they carry easily!!
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Agreed. ^^

The Scandium guns are terrible to train with.
    Terrible.

Fine for pulling out of a glass cased 'emergency' box and firing five or so quick shots.
    But to train with for any extended amount of time fugetboutit after roughly 10 or 15 rounds fired.
    Also they very well can induce flinch too which is FTL.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links